U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:36 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,113,900 times

Advertisements

Have you consulted his vet about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 AM

809 posts, read 145,452 times
I have a Yorkie that does the same thing. The first time he did this we scooped him up and rushed him to the vet. By the time we got there (about fifteen minutes later) he was fine.

Later, during a routine check before his rabies vaccine, the vet noticed a heart murmur. We put two and two together and the vet feels this is the cause of the shaking.

Our vet says medication is a possibility if he has more than one or two a month, otherwise just monitoring.

Please consider this JUST AS A POSSIBILITY to discuss with your vet.
Aren't Yorkies fun?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 AM

2,178 posts, read 4,826,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
I have a 9+yr old male. He has some strange issues.

Every so often, maybe once a month, he becomes very jittery, trembles, pants and won't leave my (or if I'm not home, hubby) side! He also will hide under our van and won't come out when he's in these fits!

He did it yesterday. It happens out of the blue. No explanation. Nothing strange or new going on here to get him going. We live in hot S. FL, so it's not like he's 'cold' per se either.

Yesterday, hubby let him out to go potty, when he came back inside, he was doing this. It lasted for a couple hrs, but sometimes it's lasted for more than a day.

Yesterday, when I came home, hubby told me he was doing it, I called the dog over, and held him. He shook for the whole time! And was panting! His bowl was full of food, so I have no idea what's going on when he does this. It's not worth taking him to the vet, I'm just curious!

Any clues? Today, he's back to normal.
I'd take him to the vet. What if it had to do with his internal organs? He may need a different diet or more exercise or something relatively simple.

My dog acts like that to get attention, but not to the extreme that you describe and mine is only 5 years old.

Best wishes with your boy!

Kate

Old 02-19-2010, 07:26 AM

76 posts, read 153,585 times
My yorkie does that when a storm is approaching. He also does it when he knows something is up. It is amazing how they sense things. We have moved recently and he is a mess. When ever we go to the door or anything he starts it. He also, what I call, curses at us. He does not want us to leave his side. I think it's anxiety. My heart breaks. Does anyone have this kind of situation? And what are some things that I can do to help him? Thanks.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 AM

21,338 posts, read 7,495,995 times
I wonder if if it's nerves from the hurricanes of 05. Remember, there were 4 that summer that came through south Florida. So he may hear the T/L before it comes to us or he may smell or feel the air change and think it's another hurricane coming after him. Was he having this behavior before the hurricanes of 05?

I wonder if there's a safe does of Benadryl for Yorkies? That might be just enough to settle his nerves and keep his calmed down when an incident arises, but I'd want to know the true reason for the behavior before I just started that treatment as an absolute remedy.

Good luck. Pooor baby!!!

Old 02-20-2010, 09:48 AM

29,495 posts, read 16,371,754 times
Since he's a yorkie and they are prone to liver disease, I would have his liver enzymes checked or BAT testing done when you take him to the vet.

This is how Lucy was acting when we discovered her little problem. Hiding, shaking, just not herself.

In her case, it was brought on by an overload of protein, which her liver cannot handle - toxins build up and cause neurological symptoms.

Now we monitor her diet carefully and have avoided any further episodes like that. I definitely think it's worth seeing a vet over. Hiding can mean pain a lot of times.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Old 03-13-2014, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 521 times
Default Yorkie

Thank you so much, we will get her to the vet ASAP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs