U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:34 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,443,966 times
Default strange Yorkie behavior

I have a 9+yr old male. He has some strange issues.

Every so often, maybe once a month, he becomes very jittery, trembles, pants and won't leave my (or if I'm not home, hubby) side! He also will hide under our van and won't come out when he's in these fits!

He did it yesterday. It happens out of the blue. No explanation. Nothing strange or new going on here to get him going. We live in hot S. FL, so it's not like he's 'cold' per se either.

Yesterday, hubby let him out to go potty, when he came back inside, he was doing this. It lasted for a couple hrs, but sometimes it's lasted for more than a day.

Yesterday, when I came home, hubby told me he was doing it, I called the dog over, and held him. He shook for the whole time! And was panting! His bowl was full of food, so I have no idea what's going on when he does this. It's not worth taking him to the vet, I'm just curious!

Any clues? Today, he's back to normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 07:40 AM

4,069 posts, read 10,359,265 times
Sounds like my girl's reaction to thunderstorms. Does he have problems with noises like storms, fireworks, shotgun blasts?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:45 AM

24,196 posts, read 13,557,298 times
i have a cocker that has siezures, but she also does this whole body quivering only when she is anticipating something like she knows I'm going to pass out treats or give her a nibble of something and will keep panting, but she doesn't go hide. I'll tell her to "Stop it" and she will calm down. The noise issue mentioned above will do the same thing to some dogs. Please tho, take him to the vet just in case they are mild sezires

Old 08-30-2009, 07:52 AM

9,707 posts, read 23,166,754 times
I would worry about seizures as well...Epilepsy maybe? Unfortunately, with
Epilepsy, vet will not be able to tell unless he is in a seizure at the time. You may want to bring him in next time he experiences this.
I had a Golden who had a very slight case of Epilepsy and she would know when the fits were about to begin. With her they lasted only a minute or so....but tremors and slight foaming at the mouth. She would become very rigid and refused to leave my side from the on sight of the fit until she was completely over it.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:57 AM

7,081 posts, read 23,773,380 times
It sounds like he's got pain somewhere. Dogs don't usually let on that they're not feeling well, but other evidence betrays them. This is a pain reaction. Doesn't sound like any kind of seizure to me. Not grand mal, not partial complex and not absence. There are a few other kinds of seizures but these are very rare.

Try manipulating his hips, shoulders and massage down his spine, vertebra by vertebra...that might help you find the area of pain.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:05 AM

1,472 posts, read 1,443,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It sounds like he's got pain somewhere. Dogs don't usually let on that they're not feeling well, but other evidence betrays them. This is a pain reaction. Doesn't sound like any kind of seizure to me. Not grand mal, not partial complex and not absence. There are a few other kinds of seizures but these are very rare.

Try manipulating his hips, shoulders and massage down his spine, vertebra by vertebra...that might help you find the area of pain.

he does get like this when storms come, especially after we had a hurricane in 2006 or around there.

same behavior but when he does these random fits that I'm talking about, it's not storming at the time.

however, I have to add, yesterday it was thundering and lightning on and off but with no rain and even the sun was out some of the time. maybe he was hearing the T/L before we noticed it? and so that's why he got upset...an impending storm?

as for the pain theory...could you give me some more input on that?

I highly doubt it's seizures, I'm a nurse and would notice a seizure. This is not seizure-like behavior.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 AM

7,081 posts, read 23,773,380 times
Pain is something that dogs (and other animals) will try to hide. There is a survival disadvantage to making it obvious that there's pain. So what you have to do is try to find out what is hurting...if that's the problem.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:35 AM

7,647 posts, read 8,408,866 times
and yes.... they can be aware of thunderstorms approaching LONG before we are.........

Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 PM

4,069 posts, read 10,359,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Pain is something that dogs (and other animals) will try to hide. There is a survival disadvantage to making it obvious that there's pain. So what you have to do is try to find out what is hurting...if that's the problem.
Have to agree that pain also can be an issue. Have the dog examined by your vet to rule anything out. If he's been outside and it happens after relieving himself it could be an indication of a UTI, a stone or one of many other possibilities.

After seeing the vet, if they rule he's in good health then I would almost have no choice but to believe it's the storms. They know long before us when one is coming and most often it's related to the static in the air.

Both my dogs and horses used to advise me of earthquakes ahead of time when we lived in CA. I can laugh now, but I was riding a 20 something year old mare once who always needed a strong leg. She could sense a 'quake coming and took me for a ride similar to a 5 year old

Old 08-30-2009, 10:43 PM

12,023 posts, read 7,133,420 times
Video tape him the next time he does it. Take the video to the vet along with the little pup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs