U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 04:35 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,828,405 times

Advertisements

Bless you..

I adopted 2 beagle mix dogs. They have never chased them although the Weimaraner loves to chase the cat if they are outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 05:47 PM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times
There should be a breed rescue group for that breed. Google the breed and contact them. You can foster her until they can help - or maybe keep her?

Old 08-31-2009, 06:28 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,107,308 times
I don't have much experience with hounds of any type but what little I do know about them is that they all seem to love to travel. And I don't mean get in the car and go for a nice ride with you. I'm talkin' nose to the ground and see how many miles and hours those paws can keep going.

We had a pair of black and tan coon hounds in foster care and they were great escape artists, pushing past the foster mom any time she opened the gate to their run. They would disappear for hours but always returned, happy, hungry and tired. Worrisome never the less, even in the country with little traffic. We were very happy when an experienced hound owner adopted them.

I don't think they are notorious for jumping fences so a 4 footer should be enough. Maybe. I hope. Keep her on a long lead in the yard to see how she does.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,198,588 times
She looks very sweet and those eyes, if she could only talk. Looks like she has not had the best of luck in life!
Hope there is a nice, loving home awaiting her somewhere.
She also looks very mellow.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:19 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,198,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
thanks!

oh i know.... isn't that face just beeeeyooouuuteeeful??? i have always had a soft spot for beagle faces.....

i live in a house with a fair sized, fenced yard and neighbors to one side have 2 dogs of their own..... one of which barks a LOT when they are left in the yard for more than a few minutes..... so think i am good to go there..... we also have a beagle boy 2 doors down on the other side, but i haven't heard much out of him in recent months.....

hhhhmmmmm ...... my fence is about 4 feet high..... do these dogs jump??

i have pretty dense woods behind my house that are LOADED with squirrels, raccoons, possums, bunnies, etc.

i figured the coon hound would be much like a beagle in the desire to hunt.....
I would not leave her unattended to in the yard for quite some time. Keep an eye out, especially in the beginning. Also make sure she has one of those name tags from Petsmart from day one with your cell# , town and doggies name.
My son has a neighbor with a short legged, very overweight little pitbull and she jumps there 4 foot fence. You would never think it by looking at her, but she does!

Old 08-31-2009, 08:26 PM

15,885 posts, read 15,248,034 times
Oh. She is just precious. Take her home. She will get along with the cats. Coon hounds are very loving pups and she will probably follow you around. They like people.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,771,427 times
she is going to one of the other foster moms.......

this woman has been listed to foster for several months.... i just happened to be at petco with bailey yesterday, picking up her leash that had gone with charlie-boy when he was adopted...... they were just finished talking to the shelter lady on the phone and looked up and there i was.......

apparently she is a sweet, sweet, laid back girl.... so hopefully she will find her forever home quickly.......

i was talking to one of the directors today about setting up a meeting time and she mentioned the other foster mom..... i told her to go ahead and send her over there......... i suspect bailey would do better with a boy in our house, although as sweet and kind and gentle as she was with our transport girls in "her" car, i may have to rethink that........

Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 PM

8,309 posts, read 34,294,615 times
Reminds me of Copper from The Fox & The Hound. I've never heard of the breed, but I've known a bluetick and a redbone a la Where the Red Fern Grows. Great dogs. I think hounds are generally pretty sweet natured, less'n you're bobcat or a coon or a hog.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:44 AM

1,808 posts, read 5,858,372 times
Glad to know that Florence got a foster home (even if it wasn't with you). She sounds like a sweet dog and I'm sure she will make a great pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs