U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 11:17 AM

605 posts, read 2,541,713 times

Advertisements

I've fed my dogs the broth that my beef roasts cook in from the crock pot. I don't add onion or extra sodium, but I do usually add potatoes, carrots, celery and sometimes rutabaga. After we've eaten the meal (and the veggies), I keep the liquid, which sometimes still has quite a bit of meat in it since I cook until they fall apart.

I strain the fat off by pouring it into a large covered container and placing it in the fridge - the fat rises and comes right off the top. It is basically just the water the roast has been cooked in. I pour it over the dog's food...just a spoonful or so per meal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2017, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 748 times
I am 64 years old and have had dogs all my life....from farm outdoor dogs to the little JRT that is sleeping in my lap as I write this. I am alarmed at dog food that has a label: not fit for human consumption. If I can't eat it, neither will my dog. I make my own wet and dry dog food. And as far as table scraps go, I give my dog scraps that I would eat, such as leftover meat and vegees and gravy. I don't give them scraps that I wouldn't eat, such as bones or fat or skin. I even keep vanilla ice cream in the freezer and make her carob treats. My dogs have always been healthy, happy and active. You can make your own oil supplement too that is cheaper and easy to make up a batch. Rule of thumb for most foods: if you can eat it, so can your dog. EXCEPT FOR THOSE SPECIFIC THINGS THAT CAN HARM THEM LIKE ONIONS, GRAPES, CHOCOLATE.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:27 AM

22,360 posts, read 28,250,625 times
Gravy is fine for dogs. I suggest that if there is a lot of it, you spread it out over a couple of days. Especially if you have salted it.

Fat is good for dogs. The only issue with fat is that you don't want to give a big load of fat to a dog that isn't used to it. But with care, dogs can gradually be built up to a very large percentage of fat in the diet. Dogs with high performance jobs are fed a high fat diet.

Dogs need fat for their cat and for their brain. Fat is not bad for dogs.

My dogs get dripping, which is fat and broth. If I use the dripping to make gravy (fat, broth, flour, seasonings) for my family, the dogs would consider themselves lucky to get any of that gravy. The dogs can only drool over the smell of the turkey gravy made at Thanksgiving.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:38 PM

10,931 posts, read 6,147,879 times
Reminds me of the dry dog kibble called Gravy Train. Don't know if it's still made.
I wouldn't give too much of the gravy that you made for your dinner though.

Old 03-02-2017, 05:42 PM

36,835 posts, read 45,258,798 times
For me, the proof is in the "pudding", meaning, what happens to his digestion and the next day's poop?
I think any people food is fine if you cut back on the calories to compensate.

I have a small dog. I will not let him get too fat, but beyond that, I want him to be happy. So my thinking is, what can I feed him that will make him full and happy, but keep him at a healthy weight?

I gave him a prime rib bone after Christmas, which he enjoyed, but he had diarrhea for a couple of days after, so never again. If OPs dog does fine on gravy, then I think that's fine.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:44 PM

1,553 posts, read 792,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
. . .
Dogs need fat for their cat and for their brain. . . .
Yeah, hey, hehe. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Gravy is fine for dogs. I suggest that if there is a lot of it, you spread it out over a couple of days. Especially if you have salted it.

Fat is good for dogs. The only issue with fat is that you don't want to give a big load of fat to a dog that isn't used to it. But with care, dogs can gradually be built up to a very large percentage of fat in the diet. Dogs with high performance jobs are fed a high fat diet.

Dogs need fat for their cat and for their brain. Fat is not bad for dogs.

My dogs get dripping, which is fat and broth. If I use the dripping to make gravy (fat, broth, flour, seasonings) for my family, the dogs would consider themselves lucky to get any of that gravy. The dogs can only drool over the smell of the turkey gravy made at Thanksgiving.
You guys realize this is a necro-thread, right? Like 8 years old? Well, I guess some topics are timeless! :lol

Salt is a concern with gravy, especially because a roast is typically seasoned with salt (and other spices) before cooking. But dogs need salt, just like humans. Maybe not so much though.

Fat, tho, fat is good energy for dogs. Especially hard -working or hard-playing dogs. I have to add extra fat to the home-made chicken dog food stew I make for my dogs. But when they aren't working, they get a 3 mile run every day - and they probably make it into at least a 4 mile run with their out-and-about during the run.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:05 AM

28 posts, read 12,782 times
I prefer oil-free food to my puppy. Chicken soup is something what it relishes like anything. Thank you for sharing what you give your dog. I suggest you should abstain from serving high fat content food items to your dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or