U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 AM

3 posts, read 32,004 times

Advertisements

So the debate I have is; can I give my dog the gravy from a beef roast? I feed my dog Nutro lamb & rice and I was going to top it off with some of the gravy from a roast I cooked. I was told that the gravy was not good for the dogs but I disagreed. I tried searching for this but could only find topics about Thanksgiving and gravy from that meal. I always heard this was good for the dogs coat and skin (maybe an old wifestale )

Opinions & facts welcomed

-K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 AM

17,850 posts, read 20,133,046 times
If the gravy was made in the traditional manner from the drippings, or if the gravy were made from stock, there is no problem with giving them your left over gravy. I would not so far as to say gravy is "good" for them, but it certainly will do no harm unless your dog has an allergy to beef. If your dog is not allergic to beef, then the worst thing that could happen is a couple days of diarrhea or loose stools.

The best thing you can do for your dogs skin and coat is to feed them good quality kibble.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,003,440 times
Salmon is good for their coat. Any oily fish is. Or tablets.
Mine guy loves the gravy. The only problem there is, he wouldn't eat the food without it. So I had to ween him off it.
Turkey though, is not good for them. I wouldn't advise it. As it's meat "juices" AND it's alot of fat/grease 2 things are bad. The fat will give him/her the runs and turkey has triptophan, which is really bad. Beef, chicken,, lamb, even pork would be okay, as long as it's drained of the grease.

(Sounds like another SPOILED baby to me. LOL!)

Old 09-01-2009, 08:53 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,413,263 times
You should NOT give your dog anything with a high fat content. Foods that contain a lot of fat are much more likely to give your dog pancreatitis, which is an inflammation of the pancreas and sometimes fatal.

I have three friends who are vets and they all call Thanksgiving the beginning of 'pancreatitis season,' when otherwise well-meaning owners think their dogs need a plate of the holiday dinner, with all the trimmings. They don't. Do your dog a favor. Turkey, itself, in limited quantities, is NOT harmful, but leave out the mashed potatoes, dressing and gravy.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:04 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,692,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
You should NOT give your dog anything with a high fat content. Foods that contain a lot of fat are much more likely to give your dog pancreatitis, which is an inflammation of the pancreas and sometimes fatal.

I have three friends who are vets and they all call Thanksgiving the beginning of 'pancreatitis season,' when otherwise well-meaning owners think their dogs need a plate of the holiday dinner, with all the trimmings. They don't. Do your dog a favor. Turkey, itself, in limited quantities, is NOT harmful, but leave out the mashed potatoes, dressing and gravy.
Agreed! And.....any gravey sold off the shelf (ie ready made) has got lots and lots of sodium (salt).

Old 09-01-2009, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 32,004 times
This was a beef roast cooked and the solid fats skimmed off. No added salts or spices just plain old drippings.
Yes the dogs are a little spoiled, as someone called them my "fur kids".
I've heard of them getting pancreatitis from high fat gravies but all the links I've read were only to Turkey and Thanksgiving dinners.
This was only as a treat and not as an everyday additive.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post

Very true, too much fat is definitely not good. However, gravy is not made from fat. In fact, when making gravy the fat is removed as much as possible. Even when wine is added to the gravy, it is reduced so that there is no alcohol content. I also would not advise giving a dog store-bought gravy for the exact same reason ShelbyGirl provided, they tend to have a very high sodium content. Otherwise, unless the dog has a beef allergy and it is a gravy made from beef, there should be no problem with pouring the extra gravy over the dog's kibble.

Potatoes are okay, they are easy for your dog to digest and contain needed carbohydrates. However, dogs should not eat any processed sugar, so they should not be given any sweet potatoes that were cooked with brown sugar. No sweets at all, in fact. They should also not be given any stuffing or anything else that contains wheat or corn.

Also, cooked bones (bird or mammal) have a tendency to splinter and should not be given to dogs. Raw bones (bird or mammal) are much better.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,003,440 times
Wine is made from grapes & pits/seeds. Grapes, at least raw are bad. And the pits/seeds are toxic to humans. I don't know about dogs.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Wine is made from grapes & pits/seeds. Grapes, at least raw are bad. And the pits/seeds are toxic to humans. I don't know about dogs.
True. Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs. Just a few could completely shut down a dog's kidneys and kill the dog. Wine is a bit different, however, since it is fermented. In the small quantities, once it has been reduced so there is no alcohol content, and used in gravies, wine should pose no problems.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:05 AM

4 posts, read 18,368 times
I did some research on dog diet, commercial dog food, etc. when I first got my pup. At the time, I had a mangey looking tomcat on dry kibble and bought the puppy IAMS large-breed puppy chow... But I like to cook, have an interest in organic foods and all that, so now I make my own dog food, cat food, and TRY to feed myself as well as they eat! The trouble with table scraps is that we, the owners, don't eat well enough to keep a dog healthy!!! So if it's healthy gravy, give him some. For a beautiful coat, try cod liver oil. But my animals are glowing after a month of good food, especially the cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or