Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 10,019 times

Advertisements

My 2 1/2 year old mut has had an ear infection for months now. She has drops from the vet and has been on antiboitics for as long as 6 weeks. When she takes the antiboitic the ear does appear better but when she is off the antiboitics the ear becomes infected again. She is constantly scratching and shaking her head. It kills us to see her in pain. The vet suggested I bring her in every week for a ear flush. Since every week is too much for my little girl I take her every other week to get the ear cleaned. We have tried to do the cleaning and drops ourselves but it's a nightmare for all of us. The vet can't tell me is its mites, bacteria or allergies.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I can't bear to have her go thru this every day. I fear she'll lose her hearing if we can't clear this up soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:10 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,723,726 times
It may be a food allergy..what do you feed her

Old 09-01-2009, 11:16 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
What your vet needs to do is a culture. When she's OFF antibiotics for a few days, ask your vet to do a culture of her ear and to send it off for bacteria and fungi. After so many antibiotics it's not unlikely that she's got some resistant organism in there that needs either a completely different class of antibiotic/antifungal medication OR she needs longer or combined treatment.

If this were allergies, it would be more likely affecting BOTH ears.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:17 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,415,243 times
I would say, if it is clearing up once you give her the meds...she needs to stay on another round...it probably is looking better, but not completely cleared up. Or a stronger dose.
Dog has ear infection - ear infection in dogs - Article on Pets.ca

Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
my malti-poo is 4 years old and has been going through the same thing since 6 months old. One ear only and they call it an allergy.
I flush her ear,we do rounds of antibiotics,try various foods; the list is endless.
Her ear stinks,is crusty and has black gunky wax every day.
I'm at my wits end and I can't tell you how many vet visits she's endured.
3 and 1/2 years later and still no answers.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:22 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomuti1 View Post
My 2 1/2 year old mut has had an ear infection for months now.
- The fact that this has been going on for months without being resolved and your current vet has not suggested an ear culture (if it's fungal all these antibiotics are for naught).... I can't help but think you really should seek a second opinion.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
What your vet needs to do is a culture. When she's OFF antibiotics for a few days, ask your vet to do a culture of her ear and to send it off for bacteria and fungi. After so many antibiotics it's not unlikely that she's got some resistant organism in there that needs either a completely different class of antibiotic/antifungal medication OR she needs longer or combined treatment.

If this were allergies, it would be more likely affecting BOTH ears.
Not always....my bulldog was getting a yeast infection in only ONE ear and we meaning me & vet finally attributed it to a food allergy. Once we switched her food she has been fine.
We went to a duck & sweet potato with no corn fillers etc etc...all though it costs a little more it still is cheaper then all the vet visits. I swear I was making his corvette payments for awhile there lol

Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
- The fact that this has been going on for months without being resolved and your current vet has not suggested an ear culture (if it's fungal all these antibiotics are for naught).... I can't help but think you really should seek a second opinion.

Very true

Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,231,607 times
I am inclined to agree that you need to have the dog seen by another vet. It sounds like your current vet is happy to continue treating the symptoms without bothering to find the cause. The truth is it can be any number of things that will cause this.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:38 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Not always....my bulldog was getting a yeast infection in only ONE ear and we meaning me & vet finally attributed it to a food allergy. Once we switched her food she has been fine.
We went to a duck & sweet potato with no corn fillers etc etc...all though it costs a little more it still is cheaper then all the vet visits. I swear I was making his corvette payments for awhile there lol
I purposely did NOT say always, if you re-read my post. It CAN happen, but it's less common than affecting the ears bilaterally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs