Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:31 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb64282 View Post
Another thing I believe supports the idea of jealousy in dogs is if one has finished their bone, the other is 'jealous' of the other dog because he/she is enjoying a pleasure that they are not and will do anything to get the bone if the behavior is not addressed. I will say this though, I've yet to see my dogs just be happy that the other dog is happy. This emotion does appear to be limited to humans.
Again, you're anthropomorphizing. Most ethnologists do NOT buy this. Let's keep the thread on topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,808,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Sorry, but you're attributing human qualities to dogs. They don't have the brain structures, like a very large and complex cerebral cortex, that can provide the substructure that can support a very complex emotion like jealousy or spite. This just does NOT happen. People make this error all the time, but anthropormorphizing a dog, wonderful as he or she is, does not make neurologic sense, nor does it happen.
your the one that went off topic, I am just defending my position, I gave evidence i.e. observation of why I believe dogs to be jealous, they are envious of pleasurable states of other creatures, I would consider that a type of jealousy by the definition of the word. thus leading to problems that may arise with house-training
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs