Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

but how do you know that the previous owners of your house didn't make complaints as well?? you said your house is the closest to the dogs, so that would seem logical.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 12:12 PM

14,454 posts, read 20,630,704 times
decide for yourself:

Professional dog trainer Nancy Freedman-Smith is also unimpressed with ultrasonic bark control devices. After studying a popular outdoor ultrasonic bark control device disguised as a birdhouse, Ms. Freedman-Smith wrote, "In the past three weeks, I have observed both the bird house and many different dogs' reactions to the bird house at length. Not once did I see a dog stop barking from the tones, and I can honestly say it had absolutely no effect on a variety of barking dogs that we brought into the yard to experiment with the product."

Do Ultrasonic Sound Bark Controls Work? | eHow.com

I have to try one, I'm forced to.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:14 PM

[quote=donsabi;15665997] I purchased a hand held anti-dog device that emits a high frequency sound that dogs don't like. I had my doubts but in fact this device works very well but it must be used within 20'. quote]

where can this item be bought and approximate cost?
Can you turn it on and lay it down or do you have to hold it in your hand?
I could lay it on my window sill at night and just let it work.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:32 PM

I do not know the history of the house. The previous owners may have had dogs too.

I am still moving in and the neighbors waved at me and I waved back. If I have to go as far as the court, it will be ugly as far as the neighbors go. One of their relatives did show up today with a couple under age 5 kids, and they looked in the back yard where the 3 dogs are restained, but went in the house where the "pets" are.

I am going to go to Petsmart of Walmart and get a PetSafe (brand name) birdhouse. They have a 30 day warranty and their website has 34 reviews. They are not just publishing the good reviews, they are showing them all. There were various things you could comment on like, ease of use, effective, etc.
16 people rated it affective and 8 said it did not work. There were 34 reviews so 24 commented on working or not working. So, 16 out of 24 said it worked, so that is 66%. Since the company monitors the reviews and makes their own comments to satisfy the customer, it seems to be the best way to go, and get the 30 warranty. They have them on Ebay for $39.99 + $12 shipping but you would almost certainly not get the 30 day satisfaction guarantee from the manufacturer.

Another review category was "type of dogs". There were alot of good comments on small and active dogs. Mine are definitely that.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,478 times
There is a site www.thebarkingdogcd.com that has about 10 different devices to stop barking dogs.

The best one is an mp3 download that you play through some speakers. They also offer worldwide shipping for free which is really cool.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:52 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Absolutely yes they work! I have a mini schnauzer and they tend to be one of the worst barkers. He barked at everything and everybody. I bought an adjustable anti-bark collar that is only triggered by my dogs bark and not other noises. I started with the lowest setting which did nothing and progressed to level three before he finally got the message. The shock that they give is similar to a static shock from a carpet. I only used the collar while I was training him. NEVER LEAVE AN ANTI-BARK COLLAR ON A DOG THAT IS NOT SUPERVISED. I used the collar in public and after about a month he got the idea. I now can walk him anywhere and he will not bark without good cause. He is still a vigilant watch dog that will bark and wake the dead when he perceives a threat. Only the nuisance barking is gone.
As for neighbors barking dog; I found an anti-barking device that looks like a bird house, available online and the W-place that does the job. I had three barking dogs behind my house and one was a hound, so you can imagine, non stop barking all day. I turned on the bird house and that got their attention and by the end of the day those dogs were as far away from that bird house as they could get. They would occasionally bark but as soon as they did the birdhouse emitted it's sound and they tucked their tails and walked away.
These collar are perfectly safe and humane if the instructions are followed. I used one for a month and now have a very well behaved dog that people compliment for his behavior. If you are not going to put your time into training along with the use of the collar save your money and hire a trainer.
Don
I got one of those bird house devices for my own barking dogs. I hung it on the fence in the backyard.
The first time they heard it, they just looked at it. After that, they just laughed at it.
It did absolutely no good.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:53 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,570,751 times
And p.s. This original post is from 2009!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs