Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:38 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,600,886 times

Advertisements

Do I let them on the furniture? I can't keep them off the furniture. We have a baby gate so they are limited to certain areas in the house. They are crated at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,966,203 times
My dogs and cats pretty much go where they please. Heck, we're living where we are for their comfort.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:07 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,805,200 times
She's allowed on her furniture, which is a couch in the office and a recliner in the front room. All other pieces are off limits.

As far as bed goes: she has her bed(s), I have mine.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,631,157 times
My dogs are part of the family. They have full reign of wherever they want to sleep.
I just hate when they take up the whole bed and expect me to spend a night or two on their doggie bed!

Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 PM

197 posts, read 396,503 times
Hell to the no. The dog has it's own furniture.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:39 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,963,145 times
yes ... absolutely.... this is their home too.....

Old 09-08-2009, 02:26 AM

272 posts, read 638,494 times
Anything except the leather( there claws poke through) and no they don't sleep with us, but only due to the fact that they hog the bed

Old 09-08-2009, 04:08 AM

26,142 posts, read 31,110,978 times
Since the dogs leave their dog scent in any cloth furniture, I bought inexpensive toddler beds and mattresses for them at garage sales and one is in the living room and the sheets on the mattresses (I got on ebay) are the same color as the couch pillows so it looks like it belongs there like a loveseat, it too has throw pillows. One mattress slides under the bed and I pull it out when I have fosters.

This allows me to wash the sheets and wash down the mattresses with bleach therefore never allowing the dog smell (which we dog lovers all get used to) to infest itself in the cloth furniture.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:15 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,147,842 times
My 4 yr old lab/mix is allowed on the furniture. She is clean. No fleas, ticks, or other varmints.
She sits or lays with me on the couch or my recliner while I'm watching TV. She really likes to sit with me on the porch on the outdoor chaise lounge and watch the world go by. (I know that isn't really furniture)
She sleeps on a pillow top mattress with us and snuggles up close. Once she gets situated she never moves and we don't even get disturbed. She sits once in awhile on a dining room chair but only if there is no food on the table. (She wishes there was but we have a do have a limit)
This is our house. And she is a part of "our" family.
She is clean, we keep the house clean. But it is her house too and as long as she doesn't damage anything, she can pretty much do what she wants.
Besides, I kind of like those big brown eyes looking at me with affection and giving me a nuzzle to get petted while we are relaxing and being comfortable. This dog is very much loved and she gives unconditional love in return. I want her to be happy and know she is a part of us. As long as everything is clean, even if it takes some extra vacuuming or whatever, she can be where she wants to be.
I don't believe in crating. If I lived out of town this dog would never even be on a leash. I think a good, well behaved dog should have as much freedom as possible, given the circumstances.
But thats just me and it depends on the behavior of the dog also.
I'm 62 yrs old and have had dogs all my life. Some of them have had to be more controlled than this one and some didn't even like to be an inside dog. But this one is one of those once in a lifetime dogs and she is special. I hope she out lives me. I couldn't stand losing such a great dog and devoted friend to both me and my wife. But seeing how dogs have rather short life spans, I might have to face that someday.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,963,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
My 4 yr old lab/mix is allowed on the furniture. She is clean. No fleas, ticks, or other varmints.
She sits or lays with me on the couch or my recliner while I'm watching TV. She really likes to sit with me on the porch on the outdoor chaise lounge and watch the world go by. (I know that isn't really furniture)
She sleeps on a pillow top mattress with us and snuggles up close. Once she gets situated she never moves and we don't even get disturbed. She sits once in awhile on a dining room chair but only if there is no food on the table. (She wishes there was but we have a do have a limit)
This is our house. And she is a part of "our" family.
She is clean, we keep the house clean. But it is her house too and as long as she doesn't damage anything, she can pretty much do what she wants.
Besides, I kind of like those big brown eyes looking at me with affection and giving me a nuzzle to get petted while we are relaxing and being comfortable. This dog is very much loved and she gives unconditional love in return. I want her to be happy and know she is a part of us. As long as everything is clean, even if it takes some extra vacuuming or whatever, she can be where she wants to be.
I don't believe in crating. If I lived out of town this dog would never even be on a leash. I think a good, well behaved dog should have as much freedom as possible, given the circumstances.
But thats just me and it depends on the behavior of the dog also.
I'm 62 yrs old and have had dogs all my life. Some of them have had to be more controlled than this one and some didn't even like to be an inside dog. But this one is one of those once in a lifetime dogs and she is special. I hope she out lives me. I couldn't stand losing such a great dog and devoted friend to both me and my wife. But seeing how dogs have rather short life spans, I might have to face that someday.
furkid snuggles are the BEST!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs