U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:31 PM

10,108 posts, read 14,420,016 times

Advertisements

Who would think this?
My not-senior escape artist, Nayla, cleared the counter of three large peaches while I was sleeping. When I work, half a peach (minus the pit) was gone with the other peaches. I gave the pooches dinner, then thought maybe I should check with the emergency vet to see if peaches are toxic.
Well, the fruit isn't, but the pits can be very lethal- catching and getting stuck in the intestine, causing necrosis and fast sepsis.

So Dodger, Eloise and Nayla are in the emergency vet hospital, initial X-rays unclear due to dinner food, to get more X-rays and maybe ultrasounds tomorrow. If they find any of the three pits in any of the dogs, surgery is required. If they don't find them (or see them clearly...) exploratory surgery is a possibility, but they did say that for three dogs, it could be a bit much.
I know for sure it's expensive so far. I'm going to check the yard in the daylight and hope to see peach pits, un outputted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 12:21 AM

16,473 posts, read 31,224,125 times
Oh no! Thanks for the warning. I sure hope youfind the evidence tomorrow.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:44 AM

7,081 posts, read 24,760,649 times
Not only that, the center of the peach pit has the seed which contains a cyanide compound (you can tell because it smells like almonds). It's NOT good for animals, or people and is used to make the phony cancer drug laetrile.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:02 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,185,263 times
Default Nectarines, Apricots & Plums too...

Not just peaches...

About 25 years ago one of our Rotts some how got ahold of a nectarine pit.
We didn't know it, but he kept trying to bring it up, but we didn't know why he was trying to do this. He stopped eating, so we knew something was wrong.
Took him to the vet & he told us to give him milk of magnesia (sp) after a day or so he brought that nectarine pit up.
This was 25 years ago, so there may be something else better to use, now. Always call your vet or emergency animal hospital. Better safe than sorry.

Always beware of the pits. Make sure they are rolled up in a paper towel and thrown away.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:47 AM

24,548 posts, read 14,875,373 times
They are also a simple choking hazard. I have maple trees that drop nuts the size of peach pits all over the yard. The squirrels usual get them and hide them, but occasionally I'll catch one of the dogs with one and remove it from them immediately. I have a dog door so ocassionally I find them all over the living room.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:04 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,270,516 times
Ohhh baring the obvious blockage and toxic issues I can't imagine what that big pointy thing feels like going trough the system. Ouch!

My hopes are with you, and them, for a fast and healthy recovery.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:29 PM

10,108 posts, read 14,420,016 times
Update- after leaving Nayla, Dodger and Eloise at the emergency vet for overnight observation, I came home to Artie (too dignified to food scavenge, plus was sleeping with me when the peaches disappeared). I was, of course thinking about the possibility and expense of surgery for three dogs. Got into bed, and there they were- three half-eaten peaches, complete with pits. I think Eloise did it- she grabs scavenged stuff and runs and hides it, a holdover from her feral days.

So I picked up the gang this morning, $1400 more broke, but relieved and believe me, lesson learned.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:39 PM

7,747 posts, read 9,089,067 times
sheeeewwww .... WHAT a relief........

Old 09-08-2009, 12:40 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,270,516 times
So glad to hear they are all ok!

Old 09-08-2009, 01:01 PM

16,473 posts, read 31,224,125 times
What a relief! So sorry for your expensive lesson but you taught me something, a mixed blessing for you I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs