U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:17 PM

18,433 posts, read 29,481,395 times

Advertisements

First a little info:

Friend left his Pitt.

I talked with his owner and he thinks he is coming back tomorrow or the next day.

So, if you read the other thread, you know about Buddy. He is a Pit that was left here at my house. I decided he was in need of exercise so I went and bought a leash.

His walk went well the other day and he did not drag me down the street as I worried he may.

Later that evening, I was going to take him for another walk but he was overly excited and I was a little afraid.

He acted the same way last night and it worried me too.

Around noon time today I grabbed the carolina blue leash and walked out the door with it hidden behind my back and walked towards the garden.

Still with the leash hidden I talked with Buddy from a distance. He looked like he was smiling as he lay there in the grass.

The leash still hides behind me and I walk up to the dog and begin to pet him and tell him he is a good boy.

I bring the leash around and try to put it on him, not letting him off of the lead yet. He starts getting excited and jumping on me.

I tell him no and that he needs to sit.

He listens for the most part as I attach the leash to his collar. He wants to run and I have to calm him a little and unhook the lead from his collar now.

Off we go for our walk. He stops here and there and everywhere sniffing things and we get closer now to the road.

I walk Buddy on a 6 foot leash, always keeping it at 4 feet, but at times down to three. We cross the street and begin our journey.

I see a yard sale up the way and am a little worried. I do not know Buddy that well and do not know how he will react.

The ladies greet us hello as I now have him down to three feet of leash.

One of the women talks to him and he wants to move closer. I remind him that he has no money to buy anything, he can just look.

Buddy sniffs around and thinks about the jeans. None his size. Oh well...

On we go to a corner and a man stops beside us in a small red car admiring Buddy.

I look in his car and there is a Pit sitting in his front seat. We thank him for the compliment and I am a little worried once again, because of the other dog.

Light turns green and he grants me a good day. Now we pass a fenced in area which is on the other side of the street with two dogs inside. They bark when we pass, just like last time. I am not as afraid that he will dart across because it did not seem to bug him the day before yesterday.

He stops at seemingly every bush and tree to use the bathroom and then at a red and yellow fire hydrant.

I think to myself how classic, wishing I had my camera with me.

We walk down to the church and a little past it and he seems to be getting tired. I turn the other way and motion him forward.

He sees a man sitting on his front porch and wants to go see him, check things out.

The man comes down and talks to Buddy, petting him and patting his back.

Well, Buddy just makes himself at home and goes up onto the mans porch. This is the first time he dragged me along... WHEW!

So, we talk to the man and he tells me Buddy needs a lot of space to run around and get his exercise and I agree.

Back past the yard sale again, he had to stop of course and then on our merry little way.

We stand across the four lane road from the house and wait to cross.

BINGO! Oh geez. Two little chihuahuas live two houses down from us and here comes the smallest of the two darting through traffic across the street at us.

I was so afraid he was going to get hit, and then I thought, "Oh Lord! What if Buddy attacks him?!?!?"

I quickly wrap the leash around my wrist so that Buddy has only about a foot of leash and here comes Bingo.. Yelping at Buddy.

All of the cars in both directions see what is going on and are now stopped. His owner calls him back and off he goes.

Buddy did well but I was scared out of my mind.

We crossed the street and I got him hooked back up out back and went and got him some water.

And so is out Friday adventure!

Last edited by Pikantari; 09-11-2009 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 01:32 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,322,011 times
LMAO...... well you had fun didnt ya? and the next walk is when?
funny post and thanks I enjoyed it

Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,980,702 times
Buddy seems to be a good dog!

I would just caution you about wrapping the leash around your wrist as you could have a serious injury if he did bolt. The way to walk is him on your left side, you hold the leash in your right hand crossing in front of you to where you left hand is down at your hip but guiding the leash. You have the most strength in your arm when it is straight down and locked against your body. Your left hand can clench the leash as needed. Buddy should be at you left side for best control.

Then you stop when he wants to see something and slowly walk over to it.

I think you are giving him enough lead that he could pull you off your feet if he did bolt.

And I agree he needs to be able to run around - a tired dog is a good dog!

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:53 PM

Hmm.. I feel like maybe I should have gotten a shorter leash....

Old 09-11-2009, 01:59 PM

I just gave Buddy some treats. I threw the second one and he jumped up and caught it.

YAY BUDDY! I clapped and told him great job..

I would love to take some pictures of this guy in action... His muscles are unbelievable... (a little scary for me)

Old 09-11-2009, 02:03 PM

9,355 posts, read 16,830,667 times
GREAT story .... felt like i was walking right along with y'all.... even felt myself tensing up at the appropriate times.....

good for you and good for buddy.....

Old 09-11-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
GREAT story .... felt like i was walking right along with y'all.... even felt myself tensing up at the appropriate times.....

good for you and good for buddy.....
I am glad I got that effect. I actually love to write and I love nature... Of course I love animals... I will send you something that I wrote about a year ago.. descriptive of an evening of mine.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:08 PM

This is for LTTP. Has nothing to do with Buddy, so you guys can read it or skip it... LOL

It is a little long and is an actual post of mine that lives here on CD from March 8 2008

March 08 , 2008

Despite the late afternoon wind, there were birds flying freely in the air.

Their flight was not a perfect one, up and down, all around. The wind carrying them as their wings fought it with all their might.

Try as they may, they could not fly in a straight line. The wind is fierce here right now. I love the wind just as much as I love the rain, put them together, and I am overjoyed.

Darkness has already fallen upon the night sky. Earlier in the afternoon, I sat on the front porch swing Indian style, just letting the swing take me away. Wherever it wanted to.

Huge gusts of wind came crashing against me. It felt so good. Like a rush. Just like the feeling you get when you are at the very top of the ride, a rollercoaster ride. Getting ready to fly down the track.

Knowing the exhilarating feeling that is about to take place, feeling the anticipation.

This is how it felt, as I was swinging there, as I could hear the wind gusting through the group of tall, tall trees which sit across the street from me.

It’s like the wind got into that grouping of trees, and wreaked havoc in a circle, made its way out, and there is the anticipation, almost to me, I could feel a slight breeze.

Just barely could feel it, and this is when I would take a deep breath in. Knowing it was coming. And then it comes, it hits me. I am at the top of the ride, the fierceness of the wind going across my face and my hair, taking my breath away.

The excitement, the thrill of the ride. You know it is coming, but you don't know exactly how it will feel, every curve different than the last, but somehow the same.

So now the wind comes from behind me, blowing my hair forward, making the swing move at its will.

This is what I mean by the not knowing. There was nothing behind me holding up that wind, no warning. I could not hear it coming, see it coming as I could the wind that was in front of me... pushing its way through the trees.

No. I did not know what was behind me. Such is life. We don’t always know what will happen, or when it will happen. Only that it will happen.

We know that things loom in the air. We know its there, when it will come to us, how it will come to us, we cannot begin to know. Not always. Sometimes, but never always.

This is how life is. It takes its twists and turns, and we never know which way it will turn next. Life is like the wind. It blows, moving along, never always in the same direction.

Just like my ride on the swing. I knew it was going to turn. Just like life, we know it will take a turn, some day, some how.

Always hoping it will be a turn for the better, but never knowing.

Until that one day. The day when it turns for the better for us. The day that we know everything is going to be ok. Everything is going to work out just fine.

We just have to wait for it, sometimes. Time. For the most part, it is on our side.

We just have to wait for it. It will come. One day. Some day. Everything falls into place. Just like a miracle, it falls into place.

How do you know this, you ask me.... I know this, because it happened to me.

One day, it was all ok. Everything turned for the better. From that day on, it was so much better. The hurdles, they turned into mere bumps in the road.

The twists and turns in the road of life, turned into what are hardly considered curves.

The path of the straight and narrow, not too far off. Oh no one has that... but we can come darned close to it.

No one is perfect. No one. Only the one who walked on water. We can only hope for that one day...

The wind... it is just like life. It is just like love. Hitting us when we least expect it to, from a direction we never imagined. The wind just came from another way, how could it be coming from behind me now? Happiness echoes in the wind. Hitting us when we least expect it. Us not knowing it is there until it truly encircles our very being. We feel we can never have it. But one day, there it is. Presenting itself to us, like a gift of gold. Like a breath of fresh air.

Just like everything else I write about, it is there, if only we can come to accept the fact. If only we can reach out and take it, it is ours.

Happiness is ours. It blows in with the wind, we just need to stand in it, freely, allowing it to brush against our being. Allowing the wind to present it to us. Breathing it in. Breathing in happiness until all doubt is gone. Until we not only know, but we feel. That day will come. It may not be this day, or tomorrow. Maybe not next week or even next month. But that day will come.

None of us were put here to not be happy. I believe this to be nothing but the truth.

Oh it happens. It does. In this life... things happen. They get better, or they stay the same. But the wind always blows, whether we feel it or not, it is constantly changing direction.

Just like life, changing direction. You just have to allow it. You can't fight the wind. You can't fight life.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:50 PM

212 posts, read 621,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I just gave Buddy some treats. I threw the second one and he jumped up and caught it.

YAY BUDDY! I clapped and told him great job..

I would love to take some pictures of this guy in action... His muscles are unbelievable... (a little scary for me)

Remember that muscles follow the mind.Train him to follow your mind.You are doing great.I am hopeful and biased because i had a dog named buddy.When a dog is named killa,tyson etc.???When its time for food do some treat training.Sit,paw,down.I never teach a dog to catch food.It promotes snapping at food,...a bad thing.Teach him to lay and not pick up the treat till you say ok.Start at 2 seconds and work up from that.Keep up the good work and great writing.Peace

Old 09-11-2009, 05:20 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,980,702 times
A 6-ft lead is the best, I don't like those retractable ones for large or strong dogs. Keep him right at your side with your arm straight down. You can test this by having someone else try to pull your arm up when it is in this position - hard to do!

Need Buddy pics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or