U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 03:21 PM

1,688 posts, read 6,615,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
they BOTH need an intervention.
Do they have to say, "Ok, I'll go" ????

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 11:40 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,362,357 times
The dogs doing the licking thing isn't because they're being friendly. They're dominating your dog. Licking other dogs means they're in control.

I had my AST attack my Corgi 7-8 times. I wanted to get rid of him, but the ex wouldn't let me. It was grossly unfair to the Corgi who would not back down and let the younger, bigger, and stronger AST be the dominant dog in the pack. As soon as you have three dogs there becomes all kinds of subtle dog speak, physically and through growling that is the dance of the fittest. The male Corgi's sister would jump into the action and attack her own brother once the bulldog was on him. Three times I had to get in the middle of very, very, very violent dog fights to break them up. I was afraid the bulldog would turn on me, but he never did. Thank God. My AST died at 5 of bloat. I was heartbroken as he was a love, except when he'd attack the Corgi for no apparent reason. None that a human could detect anyway. But life is calm again without him here.

EVERYTHING YOU do has to signal that aggressive dog is NOT in charge and the dog she's attacking has FIRST pecking order with you. He has to get everything FIRST. First patted, first treat, first leashed for a walk, first hello, etc... to reinforce in the aggressors head that you acknowledge the other dogs importance as being greater than hers. If you don't, the consequences are going to be costly to your own dog.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:30 AM

3,066 posts, read 2,896,746 times
I do make sure my dog is the first greeted, the first to be fed, the first to be let out the door, etc and the others understand that. At this point, if they so much as look at each other I direct their attention toward me so, we havent had any "action" since Sunday.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:03 AM

1,787 posts, read 3,350,005 times
I think you are well on your way to resolving the problem! I'm looking forward to knowing what the trainer says!

Old 09-22-2009, 06:07 AM

Update on dog aggression. The trainer came to my house yesterday, spent several hours observing and interacting with the dogs. She does not believe my dog is sending off signals to initiate the fights. In fact, she said my dog is trying his best to "play it cool" and not act intimidated or aggressive but to just chill out and ignore the lab mix. The lab mix (aggressor) on the other hand is, in her words, "a very pushy *****" who is desperate to have my attention and to always have her way. As all the fights have occurred in my presence, the trainer stated that I am the catylist for the fights. So, the instructions are, no group interactions; that is, I don't take all five dogs out and try to play or interact with them. No greeting when I get home--I essentially ignore all the dogs when I get home until everyone has calmed down. The lab mix gets no "free" attention from me--she has to "do" something to earn pets or other affection from me, even if it is only a sit and wait command. The trainer states she has to learn that "nothing in life is free" and, that she has to earn my attention. I am to work with both my dog and the lab mix individually doing one-on-one doing basic obedience training (both have already been responding positively to that) and offer both individual one on one play time with me, away from the other dogs. The lab mix gets a strong rebuke and then a "time out" away from everybody if she initiates any more attacks--she "hates" to be confined or separated from me or the other dogs. It's been 10 days without any fights so, I think the lab mix is responding to some of the training I was already doing. The trainer noted that the fact that they all get along fine when I am not around suggests that they see me as the leader and the lab mix wants to be next in line. She stated that she is a very dominant dog who has never been taught her place so, with all the other issues (her masters failing health, the recent relocation to a new house with other dogs, etc.) she if feeling anxious and trying even harder to take over. So, things are calming down. After I get her and my dog under better control, I will start working with the pit bull as well--the trainer noted that the pit appears very insecure which is true since she is more attached to her master whose health is failing fast. Anyway thanks to everyone for the helpful comments--I'm already seeing positive change in "the pack".

Old 09-22-2009, 02:21 PM

19,644 posts, read 53,596,112 times
Great news! So glad for all of you. You've done a good job of working w/all of them to calm everyone down.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:43 AM

Update on the dog on dog aggression. Over two weeks now without any fights. My brother-in-law's dogs have responded well to the obedience trainer's instruction. On a sad note, my brother-in-law passed away yesterday. His dogs knew that he was ill and, he's been in the hospital for the past week so, I "think" they got the idea yesterday when we got home from the hospital. The pit has been sleeping in his bed waiting for his return but came and slept in our room last night. I'm posting ads to adopt them out (we already have 3 dogs) and my trainer has graciously offered to provide free obedience training for both dogs to whomever offers to adopt them.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:56 AM

21,338 posts, read 7,362,357 times
Sorry to read of your BIL's passing. The dogs probably do feel out of sorts as they know he's not there. Best wishes on adopting them out. Tough thing to go through.

Re the dog fights not occurring to two weeks. Just don't get complacent. When I had the 3 dogs, there would be months with no fighting and then out of nowhere and seemingly for no discernable reason to me, they'd go at it.

I hope the transition goes smoothly for all of you.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:57 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,496,636 times
pit concept of socializing is submit or die.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:18 PM

thanks, I don't allow so much as a direct look at one another and, my boy knows when to walk away now--he's really not interested in fighting so I think the worst is behind us but we already had 3 dogs to begin with so 2 more is just more than we can afford or handle permanently. Hoping for a happy new home for the lab mix and pit mix. Anybody looking for a lab mix and pit bull/hound mix???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs