Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:58 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
How your dog turns out depends on you. Dogs feel you out at first to see what they can get away with. Be firm and fair. Make it clear you are the leader. If you don't know how to train a dog, take classes, seriously. You adopted this dog. That means this is your obligation for the rest of this dog's life. If it eats your shoes, that's your fault, not the dog's fault. It's no reason to get rid of a dog. It's a reason to seek the help of trainers.
Who ever said either of us were getting rid of our dogs??

With all due respect, don't assume either of us are one of those dog owners. Why do you think it took me a year to decide to get a dog? It's not a commitment I was going to be taking lightly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Don't take it personally.

I had a choice between two assumptions.

I'd rather risk insulting a responsible pet owner than avoid insulting an irresponsible pet owner.

If I had assumed you were a responsible owner, I wouldn't have done your dog justice if my assumption had been wrong.

My response was a win/win for the dog regardless of what type of owner you are.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:36 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile Collies and shelties - the very best (my own opinion, of course!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Who ever said either of us were getting rid of our dogs??

With all due respect, don't assume either of us are one of those dog owners. Why do you think it took me a year to decide to get a dog? It's not a commitment I was going to be taking lightly...
I've had 4 collies and 4 Shelties. Love them all. So well trained. Males always trained better than the females but they learn too. Ours will stand at the door and wait for the leash. They love to run and we have 2 so they play chase with each other and us and get the crazies (running in circles round and round - the herding instinct). I need to get them some sheep.

My first collie came to me when I was 7. What a wonderful guy he was.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:27 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,186,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I need to get them some sheep.
You could use them as lawn mowers and kill two birds with one stone.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:27 PM

Smile I love doggies, period.

My little babies are my friends. I was sick yesterday and they knew. My big guy (60 pounds) never left my side and usually, he likes the floor better than the bed. He is one big Sheltie, so handsome, too!

(Mine are the tri colored ones - black, tan, white)

Old 09-18-2009, 09:48 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
Beesley peed in the kitchen yesterday (he got scared when my friend came over), and now when I take him outside he won't do his business.

So much for our glory days

Old 10-05-2009, 08:49 AM

12 posts, read 23,168 times
Default Will my Collies like it in Northern Maine?

I'm planning to move up to Aroostock County a.k.a 'the Country' within the next 6 months. I will bring my (3) Collies...
Do you all think they'll like the 'cold' weather?
thanks,
DPK56

Old 10-05-2009, 09:10 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,233 times
OP
I am not any expert at all- I have a bichon rescue who was owner surrender supposedly for reasons not having to do with him. He was four and I didn't expect any problems. Had been in foster care and no problems. Then from the first day he started biting my husband--six times the first day!! Fear-biting I assume. Go figure.

I followed some advice I got online and he eventually stopped. He is a good boy now. They can be trained and become the dog you would like them to be--so my point is to follow the advice you have gotten here and work with your pooch.

And you might want to give Socks' family the same suggestion. The behavior you described is not the behavior of a well-trained happily adjusted family pet. Get Socks some help too.

You said your guy won't do his business after the accident. This is just a question-not an accusation-did you respond in any way when he peed in the house. A vocal reprimand? If so, that might have frightened him and he is confused about going at all. Just a possibility.

Finally--don't worry too much. It sounds like you have a basically good dog. Work with him and be consistent and follow good training principles--and you should have a long happy relationship.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:58 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,671,817 times
As others have said set boundries NOW...Its quite common for people to let little things slide in the beginning. Now there is an adjustment period for both of you...its stressful for all involved but its really best to set standards from the beginning and stick to them outherwise it just adds to confusion and anxiety in your new pet.

Best of luck to you both.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:33 PM

Default Per my husband....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk56 View Post
I'm planning to move up to Aroostock County a.k.a 'the Country' within the next 6 months. I will bring my (3) Collies...
Do you all think they'll like the 'cold' weather?
thanks,
DPK56
He says they have a built in fur coat! They will love it. Such beautiful, beautiful dogs, I love collies and shelties!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs