U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:16 PM

6,536 posts, read 14,478,128 times
We have had great luck with childrens Benadryl. The dog or ferrets get real laid back and sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 06:11 PM

124 posts, read 133,616 times
rice and Benadryl

Old 09-19-2009, 08:51 PM

386 posts, read 656,651 times
The vet can prescribe a tranquilizer to help the dog sleep during the trip. If you try any meds, try it out a few days before the trip to see how your dog reacts to it. Also, please ask your vet for the proper dosage of any over the counter med before giving it to your dog. Finally, it helps to keep the dog cool during the trip, especially if the sun is shining in that window.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:00 PM

7,657 posts, read 8,675,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwlakewylie View Post
The vet can prescribe a tranquilizer to help the dog sleep during the trip. If you try any meds, try it out a few days before the trip to see how your dog reacts to it. Also, please ask your vet for the proper dosage of any over the counter med before giving it to your dog. Finally, it helps to keep the dog cool during the trip, especially if the sun is shining in that window.
good idea.... because benedryl does NOT make bailey sleepy....... and benedryl is an antihistamine.... so the only reason it would be used in this setting is to make your dog sleep during the trip.... in the hope sleeping would avert motion sickness...... dramamine would be a better choice.......

and even better idea.... check with the vet for advice about dosages, etc.

keeping the dog cool is also good advice......

Old 09-19-2009, 10:30 PM

124 posts, read 133,616 times
Default travel

a vet is great advice and tranquilizer fine I guess
I could never afford all that
I drove my dogs to az from florida no issues at all. My personal experience is exercise alot eat sleep . get up exercise little rice no food .. hit the road.
when I stopped for the night exercise and food along with a t shirt that I wore for awhile that had my scent for her to sleep with .. I think you will work it out . How about one person sit in back with dog for the beginning ?

Old 09-20-2009, 03:13 PM

505 posts, read 1,244,322 times
There is a new drug called Cerenia. By prescription from your vet only.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
good idea.... because benedryl does NOT make bailey sleepy....... and benedryl is an antihistamine.... so the only reason it would be used in this setting is to make your dog sleep during the trip.... in the hope sleeping would avert motion sickness...... dramamine would be a better choice.......

and even better idea.... check with the vet for advice about dosages, etc.

keeping the dog cool is also good advice......
Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) is also an antihistamine that can basically be used interchangeably with Benadryl (diphenhydramine). They are different enough that a person (or dog) that is sensitive to one is likely to be able to use the other, but their effects are almost identical. Either will induce drowsiness, antagonize histamine reactions and provide some relief for motion sickness.

Benadryl probably does make Bailey drowsy. If he's anything like my dog, I submit that he is able to fight through it as long as there is something interesting going on or some stimulus gives him a reason to stay alert. About 15 minutes after administration, try having him lay down and give him a gentle belly rub and massage the neck. I would be surprised if he did not go right out.

Definitely check with the vet about dosage rather than listen to the internets, but dogs are dosed considerably higher than humans. For acute allergic reactions in dogs, injections of dephenhydramine often exceed the equivalent of 3 mg per pound of body weight without ill effect.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 AM

7,657 posts, read 8,675,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Dramamine (dimenhydrinate) is also an antihistamine that can basically be used interchangeably with Benadryl (diphenhydramine). They are different enough that a person (or dog) that is sensitive to one is likely to be able to use the other, but their effects are almost identical. Either will induce drowsiness, antagonize histamine reactions and provide some relief for motion sickness.

Benadryl probably does make Bailey drowsy. If he's anything like my dog, I submit that he is able to fight through it as long as there is something interesting going on or some stimulus gives him a reason to stay alert. About 15 minutes after administration, try having him lay down and give him a gentle belly rub and massage the neck. I would be surprised if he did not go right out.

Definitely check with the vet about dosage rather than listen to the internets, but dogs are dosed considerably higher than humans. For acute allergic reactions in dogs, injections of dephenhydramine often exceed the equivalent of 3 mg per pound of body weight without ill effect.
well thank you jimbo..... you have just made today a good day for me.... i have learned something new!! and still sort of early in the day.....

Old 09-21-2009, 09:57 AM

718 posts, read 1,099,053 times
Does your dog get so anxious that he/she salivates all over the car? Rowdy, from the day I brought him home has been a car puker. Bought a $100 "Fido Rido" wherein he can sit upright, strapped in and look out the window....work, heck no, still salivates and pukes. If I give him dramamine, and don't feed him, he pukes bile looking stuff. He is 3 years old...tried the short trip thing to desensitize the dog....doesn't seem to work. He loves going, loves the vet, nuts about the groomer.....likes getting the car and then the puke machine begins. I haven't tried the rice thing, and ginger cookies. Will lay in a supply today.....but, on the plus side, no one wants to ride with us on a trip. When faced with a pile of "doo", always look for the pony.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:50 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
Does your dog get so anxious that he/she salivates all over the car? Rowdy, from the day I brought him home has been a car puker. Bought a $100 "Fido Rido" wherein he can sit upright, strapped in and look out the window....work, heck no, still salivates and pukes. If I give him dramamine, and don't feed him, he pukes bile looking stuff. He is 3 years old...tried the short trip thing to desensitize the dog....doesn't seem to work. He loves going, loves the vet, nuts about the groomer.....likes getting the car and then the puke machine begins. I haven't tried the rice thing, and ginger cookies. Will lay in a supply today.....but, on the plus side, no one wants to ride with us on a trip. When faced with a pile of "doo", always look for the pony.
I like that name, by the way...

I've got one as well and sometimes I wish I had named him "Placid", "Polite", "Silence" or "Pokey".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs