U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:09 PM

550 posts, read 2,008,331 times

Advertisements

Anyone here with a husky? Ours (Kairo) is a 11 year old Alaskan/Siberian cross. He was the first litter sold as house pets out of a long line of professional sled dogs. He is the sweetest dog ever!

The problem is his hair. When in the house I don't like to pet him because I always come up with a hand full of hair. It flies in the air, sticks to everything and is all over our clothes. We even find it in our car that he has never been in! It is all over the back patio and every summer I have to sweep it all into a big pile. It is crazy!

I use a short wire brush to try and get rid of the hair but it seems like the more I brush the more is coming off of him. I brushed him 5 days in a row and still have lots of hair coming off of him. He eats a good brand of dog food so that isn't making the hair fall out. Any advice on how to de-hair him? I wish I had the guts to shave him just to get a break!

Husky hair drive me NUTS!!-000_0015.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 11:03 PM

4,098 posts, read 10,855,194 times
What you need is either a Rake or a Furminator which both are similar and are meant for heavy undercoats.

http://www.furminator.com/

Old 05-03-2007, 12:23 AM

My internet keeps timing out so I will check that out as soon as I can.
Dumb question....but you mean a dog rake? Is it a type of brush or a real rake?
That would be wonderful if you have solved my 11 year problem!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:40 AM

4,281 posts, read 6,760,822 times
Try adding a drop or two of olive oil to his dinner. It can help moisturize his skin.
My neighbor's dog has to have special food with no salt in it. Apparently it was causing her to shed a lot.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:55 AM

389 posts, read 2,548,448 times
That's just a husky. There's nothing wrong with the dog...just it's a breed that you can actually pluck hair out of for days and there will always be more. My brother has a husky and every time I go to their house, it looks like someone killed a stuffed animal and left stuffing all over, but it's his fur.

You can go to a groomer and have the dogs coat blown out (which some husky owners are totally against and I am not sure why, so maybe something to check out) but that will just be a short term help and not an end all to shedding.

As mentioned, the furminator is a great shedding tool and is meant for breeds with an undercoat like the husky, but don't get too excited because I think you would have to furminate for weeks before you would even notice a difference on a husky. But I do love the furminator, and it will help, but it will also not be an end all to the shedding.

Unfortunately not much you can do...it's just how husky's were built But he's a beautiful dog!

Good luck

Old 05-03-2007, 08:11 AM

4,098 posts, read 10,855,194 times
I just noticed that you live in Vancouver and that's a perfect winter climate for a Husky, which also means they'll hair up for winter big time meaning lots of winter coat to rid of in Spring

As said, the Furminator is not the end all beat all, but will help you out.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:03 AM

Olive oil? It's worth a try. Maybe it will lessen it a bit. Olive Oil sure is an amazing product, so many uses!

Turtle - your fir story is so true! One time we plucked him on our front lawn. Before my son had a chance to clean it up the neighbor came by all panicky thinking an animal had been killed on our lawn!

I will definitely look into the Furminator.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:13 AM

6,997 posts, read 10,894,044 times
Is that his pic ? Gorgeous dog.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:35 AM

Yes that is Kairo. Thank you!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:25 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,517,932 times
Default Yup it's shedding season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoe View Post
Anyone here with a husky? Ours (Kairo) is a 11 year old Alaskan/Siberian cross. He was the first litter sold as house pets out of a long line of professional sled dogs. He is the sweetest dog ever!

The problem is his hair. When in the house I don't like to pet him because I always come up with a hand full of hair. It flies in the air, sticks to everything and is all over our clothes. We even find it in our car that he has never been in! It is all over the back patio and every summer I have to sweep it all into a big pile. It is crazy!

I use a short wire brush to try and get rid of the hair but it seems like the more I brush the more is coming off of him. I brushed him 5 days in a row and still have lots of hair coming off of him. He eats a good brand of dog food so that isn't making the hair fall out. Any advice on how to de-hair him? I wish I had the guts to shave him just to get a break!

Attachment 3208
Please do not shave him. It's very bad for him, health wise.

I have 2 malamute mixes and right now BOTH are blowing their coats which is what your guy is doing (get used to it - happens roughly twice a year, sometimes more). Huskies and most northern breeds have thick undercoats which keeps them warm in the winter and that's what they shed in the summer/warmer months. Changing his food isn't going to prevent him from blowing his coat. It happens naturally. Continue brushing him but I highly suggest/recommend getting a rake (and yes it looks like a tiny little rake, i bought mine at petco). It's GREAT at getting at/out the undercoat.

Your fur baby is beautiful!

Last edited by surfingatwork; 05-03-2007 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: Forgot the most important comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs