Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:18 PM

44 posts, read 287,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellestaroftexas View Post
anywhere in Texas.........but then again, i am biased. the Lonestar State is the friendliest in the union........
if you are a city slicker, Austin is MAJORLY dog friendly......but you best be a liberal, otherwise you wouldnt like it. (i aint-i am very conservative, hence, i will NEVER live there)........but most rest of TX is republican conservative
you sure spell like a republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 03:53 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I just moved to N. AL and was shocked at how low the vets cost up here. I never walked out of the vets office in Tampa for less than $100.00 and here the cost is $25.00 or less. I took my puppy in for an ear yeast infection.. Cost $15.00. To have her spayed was $90.00 and they kept her overnight.
I took my dog in for a yeast infection and walked out $173 poorer. That was just the followup check. The Sunday am emergency visit at a clinic was $300.

Oh well, it's only money, and these furkids are worth it. I just lost a sweet kitty to lymphoma and would pay ANY vet bill if she could have been saved, - it's better than the ache and emptiness she left behind.

When you think of all the expense that the vet incurs for education, then for opening up a hospital, staffing, supplies, etc. etc., he's got to pay for all of that and still make a decent living for his family. It's no different in any other business. Look at car repair places! Yeah, the car may purr after the repairs, but it can't love you the way your dog or cat does!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:26 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
My dogs HATED the heat down in FL. They just did their business, and ran for the door to get back into the airconditioned house!
We even went as far as to shave down my german shepherds coat, to get him some relief. (My other one has short hair, and I consulted my vet first, of course)
Ever since we moved back here to PA, they are much more active, and doing so much better.
I am telling ya...the heat down there get's to everyone after a while, pets and humans alike!
I spend A LOT of money at vet's offices, but would say, that my vet here in PA is cheaper then down in FL (My shepherd has severe allergies! )

Old 06-24-2007, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 13,341 times
We live in North Central Florida and I must say it is not the most "dog friendly" area we've ever seen. It is also very poorly educated about spay/neuter and chaining dogs outside as a way of life.
The vet bills are high only because all (five) of our dogs are rescues due to the overpopulation and abandonment issues in the area but, that's not my complaint. I would just like a place that has compassion for the life of an animal and doesn't think it is perfectly normal to chain a dog to a tree for it's entire life until it is overcome with illness.
Sorry about the rant but, that is what I see EVERY day literally all around our area! That is the reason I am on here! I was searching for places to move to! We have almost 5 acres here and it is very nice property but, we don't quite fit in

Old 06-25-2007, 02:44 PM

6 posts, read 41,264 times
Both Seattle, WA and Portland, Oregon are highly rated dog towns. City Dog Magazine features both cities (magazine has a northwest emphasis). Two reasons vets are so expensive: most graduate with nearly a quarter million in student loans; also, the increasing numbers of insurance-covered pets lead to a "charge what the traffic will bear" approach to billing. Neither reason excuse the high prices especially when most vets out here in Oregon charge, like was mentioned, "more than people doctors." Try holistic and complementary medicine practitioners - they seem to be more down-to-earth and reality based. If you think the small animal vets are expensive - try the horse vets -- YIKES!!!!! I've had to take out loans....

Old 06-25-2007, 06:13 PM

321 posts, read 1,556,926 times
I'm outside of Atlanta which is pretty dog friendly overall -- however, the South in general is a terrible place for dogs, as they are so badly treated by so many people. Between the idiots who want fighting pit bulls to the other idiots that tie them or put them in a pen far from the house, never to experience a kind hand, it's pretty bad.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:17 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
We had had vets in our city who were "no frills" (didn't sell stuff on the side like corn and peanut hu -- er I mean dog food) and never batted an eye with seven dogs. They had normal prices. They were all competetive with their own little practices. (Still are.)
Then we moved out of area and began going to bigger places near our home.
Big mistake. They were set up more for high volume, pushed the garbage dog food, had too many inexperienced doctors who should still be apprenticing somewhere, and our dogs never once fully recovered from seemingly common ailments because they weren't thorough and just kept prescribing more to counter the side effects from something else (like the garbage dog food).

And boy do they sell the drugs, even if there are other alternatives (these places are pressured by corporate to earn "points" goals monthly from the companies). Owner beware.
Find a vet who is your town's best kept secret and he has had a following for years. You will pay normal vet prices, but appointment availability may require much more patience (and there'a good reason).
IMO the "Chain" places are profit first and they will a la carte and upsell you like a waiter and wine somilier on commisson at a 6 star restaurant.

Why pay double for more guesswork? Our longtine vets didn't need to re-do all those expensive tests because he knew his stuff and didn't have to depend entirely on the machines like this other place does. He didn't have to do more Xrays and blood tests and prescribe rimadyl for an ear infection!! Yup, ear infection symptoms!

Run from places pushing Science diet because the stuff has corn (first ingredient), soy, and other garbage which are common culprits to all those "mystery" allergies and irritations those vets are selling you more drugs to treat. And talk about a conflict of interest...

Old 06-26-2007, 09:44 AM

6 posts, read 41,264 times
Oh, Travel'r I do SO agree with you. I also would advise "best place to live" seekers to network with other animal people in your area and winnow out areas with the relentless commercial veterinarians. If anyone has further questions about the conflict of interest situation and general incompetence please check the yahoo group called (something like) "dr badvet." If someone looking to relocate has their pet's best interests at heart - like me - availability of decent vet care (and in my case with horses, farrier care too - and that scenario is as scary as vets) is paramount. Other things to check in an area: if legal restrictions on numbers of dogs per household are too lax you end up with puppy mills, ditto if there aren't enough protections in place against dog fighting - not that laws will stop everything but does slow it down and gives a complainant a chance with law enforcement or in court!. Also the availability of GOOD pet foods, not the usual grocery store crap. Helps to have a certified pet nutritionist in the area though those folks are few and far between. If they're in the area that means there is at least some business for them which indicates a better attitude toward animals. Check to make sure there is a good humane society locally - not just the county dog pound - humane societies usually (again - owner beware) good networking sources, as are the folks who run the local chapters of purebred rescue groups - great sources of local information. Another thing - once you have generally decided on an area, contact an upscale pet supply store in the area (and you KNOW I'm not talking about big box pet stores like Pet----fill in the blanks) and ask if they have time would they mind helping you network and explore that area. Example: I was considering a move to San Luis Obispo re a good job offer, but on learning from the local independent dog emporium that there is only one dog park and an "attitude" of local landlords AGAINST dogs, I decided to forego the job offer. I think the point is once you have selected a general area, start networking and get down to the real nitty-gritty about what you can and can't live with on a daily basis. And in the final analysis remember - if you find the perfect pet paradise but it's populated with wealthy retirees and there isn't an affordable home to be had, much less a job paying above minimum wage, no matter how wonderful the location might be you won't have enough money to enjoy it!

Old 06-26-2007, 03:22 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
I live in rual NE GA on a 10 acre place but because of lack of leash laws my poor dogs have to be walked on a leash because last year I had over $1000 in vet bills due to attacks by loose packs of dogs. My dogs are trained enough to be on voice command but after the last attack I have to keep them on expando leashes...

I'm putting up a small pen about 100x90 to let them loose under my supervison...it's that orange stuff that is used at construction site...more visual than anything else but at least I can safely let them off leash and know I can have my hands free for a gun if the dogs packs show up.

I will say this, when I move I will really miss my vet he is fabulous and reasonable.

If anyone is moving to NE GA and needs a vet pm me and I'll tell you who.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:53 PM

356 posts, read 1,129,311 times
Flagstaff, Arizona. You know those sayings , "you know you live in _____ if" .... One of the things for Flagstaff is "If most of the people you know take their dog to work." I lived there for 4 years and took my dog to work on a daily basis. Of course it is an expensive place to live ..... but EXTREMELY pet friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs