Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:36 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,221,291 times

Advertisements

You can do with ticks that are embedded what you do with humans - rub some Vaseline on it real well and it will smother, die and fall off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 12:54 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,438,603 times
When we adopted my dog, he was covered in ticks. We did the colar, the gel stuff, and probably other stuff I can't remember. What worked best was the tick shampoo! I wouldn't think your pup needs surgery.

My hubby also taught me that you have to crush a tick; they grow back. You want to make sure to pull it from the part closest to your dog so that it doesn't grow back again.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:59 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,437,987 times
From an old country girl who has pulled ticks from her dogs, siblings, children and grandchildren. If we spend most of our time outdoors (as we do) we check each other. The dog is sprayed and bathed once a week and wears the collar. If we find a tick on ourselves we pull it off and kill it. So far,in the past one hundred or so years of this ritual, we have not had any incidences of Rocky Mntn. Spotted Fever, Lymes disease, or any need for education on how to pull a tick off. Of course if you are careless and don't check you may have one embedded and engorged with blood. Never seen one on any of us, but the dog gets them..In that case we just use the pliars, then apply a little alcohol. I have killed ticks by crushing, stomping, burning. Never had much problem with them being hard to kill as long as I was the biggest!!

Last edited by Miss Blue; 05-05-2007 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: content

Old 05-06-2007, 12:50 AM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,771,186 times
Cool The TICK DOCTOR is in and seeing patients for free from 12 am till 1 am

WOW, quite a few responses and some a bit strange I might add .

Anyhow, being that I am Dr HappyDawg I will give you my honest assessment of your particular situation and you can send me whatever amount of money for payment as you see fit for my marvelous advice this morning :

1) Calm down and make yourself a drink (something strong for you Ms SunnyH I'm guessing )
2) Small tick = baby tick and likely has not engorged itself of your fubabies' blood
3) Surgical ear cleaning is required immediately - soap & water, then rubbing alcohol should be sufficient though
4) Never and I will repeat it again, NEVER kill a tick with anything other than an empty glass jar with a lid. Use a pair of tweezers to pull the tick off and drop it into an empty glass jar and close the lid. PRESTO! This will insure that any ticks you have pulled off your pets is not crawling around your house or back yard anymore.

If you use Frontline or store bought tick stuff in a vial, place the 'empty' vial with it's remaining liquid in the glass jar with the tick(s). The tick will die eventually without the leftover liquid med, but if you have it, they will die sooner.

Also, ANYONE who has ever tried to stomp a fully engorged tick can attest to the fact that it is not a pretty sight to behold !!! And sometimes when you try to kill a tick, they actually get away (they're small and they're fast JMHO). Ticks can last inside a closed glass jar for awhile and keeping in a jar allows you to ID them later if any symptoms do occur.

On a more serious note, my sweet Shammy who lived outside for months had probably a hundred ticks on him when he was finally rescued back in 2001. These ticks were in all stages of embedment on his body and he has survived this ordeal just fine .

I myself am more bothered by the medication on the dogs than the ticks themselves . Every where my dogs lay in the house and car, they leave an oily stain from the Frontline for several days after the application . If you really think about it, Frontline and other products like it are supposed to make the tick not want to 'bite' down on the dog or cat. This doesn't mean that the tick does not still jump on the animal for the ride and when they decide to get off, they just jump onto something in our homes or onto us . Heck, I've seen them walking around my house and realized that the medication was working, but now I was the ticks' target !

Oops, medical emergency - got to RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN !

Last edited by HDL; 05-06-2007 at 12:53 AM.. Reason: Normal fee for this consultation - $500

Old 05-06-2007, 07:23 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,343,370 times
Nahhhh ... stomping on those blood thirsty little vampires is a blast! I love the POP sound they make. It's like pleasant satisfaction.

The Frontline I do in stages. I don't use a whole vile in one go.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:55 AM

389 posts, read 3,533,663 times
Those big full ticks sure are messy when you step on 'em We had a dog at work that was full of ticks and some were actually just falling off and we stepped on them, we actually thought that the dog was bleeding from somewhere there was so much blood on the floor!

For anyone that has a repeated tick problem or a big one time infestation of your dog, Frontline also makes a spray that is fantastic. Just something to keep in mind if rover is ever out somewhere and comes in full of ticks.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:33 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,635,204 times
I went looking at PetSmart for Frontline Plus and discovered they don't carry it. They only have Frontline Top. Frontline Plus kills the ticks, fleas AND eggs.
the Frontline Top doesn't kill the eggs. They'll hatch and then the hatchlings will be killed (that's all good and well if they stay on the dog, but if the eggs fall off into the carpeting...)
I get my Frontline Plus from the vet. He's a great vet and I appreciate him, so I don't mind. Besides, he gives us a sr. discount.

I've heard that nematodes spread in the yard is the totally natural way to clear the yard of ticks. (Available from GardensAlive on the net).

By the way, ticks prefer deciduous treed areas. The more pines you have, the fewer ticks you should have.

Last edited by swbtoo; 05-07-2007 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: add a line

Old 05-08-2007, 05:31 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,784,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
You can do with ticks that are embedded what you do with humans - rub some Vaseline on it real well and it will smother, die and fall off.
That is not correct at all. Nor do burnt matches or any of the other old wives tales. The tweezers are the way to go.

Old 05-08-2007, 05:41 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,221,291 times
Well, you CAN do it - but it will take a long time for it to come off since ticks can live without air for a while. Just be careful when pulling one out and make sure the little barb things don't hold the head in - pull straight back and don't twist...as I understand it, they secrete some kind of substance that sort of glues them into place. The idea is to get them out quickly before they start spreading disease....but I've had some itty-bitty ones I had to do the Vaseline routine on when nothing else worked.

I agree about the match - the tick is burrowed in, and even if he wanted to leave he couldn't - so you burn the body and leave the head and it just sort of morphs into a new tick or makes a welt on the skin.

Ick, what a topic!

Old 05-08-2007, 07:04 PM

14,496 posts, read 26,526,859 times
The dog is okay- Bought frontline and spray and we have alot of pines- the vet said they dont habitate there as much- thanks everyone I will post a picture of Jackie-dog!

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs