Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 11:40 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times

Advertisements

I would call your vet and any local vet. See if they would allow you to post info to someone with land/acreage. He need to run and maybe a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 11:56 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Oh What the others said about training, excercise. Don't just put up a for free poster. Would you give your kids away if they get to big

Old 09-23-2009, 04:05 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
No - NEVER say "Free to Good Home" - you DO know that dogs are "collected" by individuals and then SOLD to animal testing labs.

Never "GIVE" a dog to ANYONE outside of a trusted friend or family member.

There are training collars and obedience classes to look into before you "give up" on your dog.

Ask yur Vet to recommend a trainer/class. Your dog is pulling you because he has not been taught any differently.
Sorry - I disagree. Testing Labs do not take just any dog off the street. Those days are long gone (thank goodness). I also did not say to give the dog to just anyone. The reason I said the "vet" is because the people that go in there will be known by the vet and their staff. Also - The reason the dog is pulling could be a lot more than just lack of training. All the training in the world will not work if the dog has too much excess energy stored up to pay attention.

Old 09-23-2009, 04:47 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
All the training in the world will not work if the dog has too much excess energy stored up to pay attention.
Disagree entirely. A well-trained dog ALWAYS pays attention. If the dog isn't paying attention, the dog isn't well trained. It doesn't get any clearer than that.

This isn't purely about amount of exercise the dog is getting. What this is purely about is a dog that has no concept, no clue as to what "manners" are required when on a lead. Because the dog has never been shown, educated, or trained.

If the dog is of the disposition the OP claims and if the OP has an iota of will to sort this out, this is not that difficult. However, it requires the will to do it. If at the first hurdle one is merely going to rehome the dog... cynic that I am, I won't be holding my breath.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:06 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Do not give your dog away or put up free to good home signs. Aside from dog fighters taking in dogs and pretending they'll give them a good home, when they actually go home and break their hips and jaws so they can't fight back while they're being torn into pieces alive, you've got scum like this out there:

Student Charged with Animal Cruelty, Criminal Sodomy Against Dog – VIDEO :For the Love of the Dog

Go take a peek at that article and tell me you think giving your pet away is a good idea. It's a horrible idea!

I second the halti. If the dog pulls, it pulls their head to the side. A dog can't run and pull while his head is facing behind him. They're excellent for training dogs that pull.

Then go get a real trainer. Not a class at PetSmart - and I'm not dissing them. PetSmart is a huge supporter of rescue, I love them. But their classes are good for no more than socialization for puppies. Once you've got a large untrained dog, you need a real trainer.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:13 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
And a REAL trainer uses ONLY positive methods: not 'corrections,' leash 'pops,' and certainly NO alpha rolls. Interview ANY trainer carefully!

Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,741 times
Don't feel badly, if this is not working out for you, take his picture, and post it a few places. You don't need to "own" the guilt of the world for this not working out. You would feel better with a smaller dog, that is okay. You don't need to keep this dog for the next 10 years. He will find a good family fit for him. Or not.

I had a dog, and he was food agressive, a jumper, snapped at kids, just onery. He did not work out in our family, I gave him to a farm family, who was looking for an outside barn dog, as a security dog. He is doing well there. I don't feel guilt about it not working out with this dog. I don't contribute to the overpopulation of dogs, so, I don't need to be guilt tripped about it, and neither do you.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:56 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,660,266 times
It is very sad to here that getting rid of a dog is easier than solving the walking and weight issue problems rather than training the dog!

It is never the dogs fault!

Old 09-24-2009, 05:28 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
I agree with the others, this dog has a lot of energy and needs to be trained to channel it in good ways. A well-trained dog will walk on a leash politely even if he is high energy. I hope you reconsider afterall this is a family member.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
Don't feel badly, if this is not working out for you, take his picture, and post it a few places. You don't need to "own" the guilt of the world for this not working out. You would feel better with a smaller dog, that is okay. You don't need to keep this dog for the next 10 years. He will find a good family fit for him. Or not.
Oh yes - all dogs find a "good family" - the ones that are in shelters just CHOOSE to live there - and the ones that are PTS (PUT TO SLEEP=KILLED) are actually depressed and WANT to die.

None of them wanted to LEARN how to walk nicely on a leash - they would much rather be "gotten rid of".

OR NOT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs