Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:54 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
Oh yes - all dogs find a "good family" - the ones that are in shelters just CHOOSE to live there - and the ones that are PTS (PUT TO SLEEP=KILLED) are actually depressed and WANT to die.

None of them wanted to LEARN how to walk nicely on a leash - they would much rather be "gotten rid of".

OR NOT
And the ones that are adopted by 'loving familes' that take them back to their home and abuse, torture and kill them are thrilled with this idea. Oh - and the ones that are bait dogs?? That's a really special thing too. I'm sure they feel quite lucky.

The first line -
Quote:
well that day has arrived when i need to give up Oreo
pissed me off instantly. The day has finally come?? My God, you sound like you're excited - like the day has finally come to welcome your first born to the world. Finally come. Like you've been anxiously awaiting this.

I know, it's a matter of speech and probably not intended that way. But good grief, this is obviously a lack of training on your part. You created this. Why should your dog suffer because you didn't do what was responsible? But I guess that's how it is in today's society - everything is disposable, including the life of a loyal family pet. My God.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 10:11 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
You created this. Why should your dog suffer because you didn't do what was responsible?
Quote:
My husband now insists we get rid of the dog, our younger children are no longer permitted to walk the dog,
Because now the OP has lost her dog walking child labor?

Quote:
"O" has been to obedience lessons, but has a mind of his own,
How MANY lessons and what was the follow-up like?

I would imagine that a dog that was rescued less than 2 years ago should STILL be in class - and of not - should certainly be "reminded" with lots of practice that can/should be done on a continuing basis.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:16 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
And the ones that are adopted by 'loving familes' that take them back to their home and abuse, torture and kill them are thrilled with this idea. Oh - and the ones that are bait dogs?? That's a really special thing too. I'm sure they feel quite lucky.

The first line - pissed me off instantly. The day has finally come?? My God, you sound like you're excited - like the day has finally come to welcome your first born to the world. Finally come. Like you've been anxiously awaiting this.

I know, it's a matter of speech and probably not intended that way. But good grief, this is obviously a lack of training on your part. You created this. Why should your dog suffer because you didn't do what was responsible? But I guess that's how it is in today's society - everything is disposable, including the life of a loyal family pet. My God.............
I thought so as well. A temporary pet or something. Should have gotten a stuffed animal or something....grrrr!

Old 09-25-2009, 10:36 PM

426 posts, read 1,570,564 times
kek9333, I agree, and well said.

Everyone else - such hostility!! Not every home is a good fit for every dog. Likewise, not every dog owner is willing or able to work out every problem. Keeping the dog out of guilt for all of the homeless animals in the world is not the right answer, IMO. As long as they are responsible about finding a new home, not just dumping the dog in a kill shelter, who are any of you to judge? People have their own tolerance levels - just because they aren't the same as yours does not make them wrong, or bad, or the cause of all the world's problems.

I'm a small dog owner. I wouldn't be able to handle a big, energetic dog myself. It's unfortunate that this family didn't realize that when they adopted Oreo, but that doesn't make them evil. Maybe she doesn't have time to work on Oreo's issues. Guess what? That's OK.

OP, don't feel guilty, because you did try. Sometimes it just isn't a good fit, and if you're miserable and the dog is miserable (not getting enough exercise) then you do what you need to do. You've gotten several good suggestions.

I'm seriously at a loss for words at all the bitterness and anger being spewed on this thread. BE NICE, sheesh. :P

Old 09-25-2009, 11:56 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,696,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boernomore View Post
well that day has arrived when i need to give up Oreo, my 110 lb mixed breed lab-pointer (an educated guess at best), we rescued him 1 1/2 years ago with all the best intentions, but we have failed him. I love him a great deal and have not been able to offer to give him away because of the cruelty in the news lately in our area, greenville,sc. Did ask neighbors and friends but "o" is too big. Oreo just got too big for us, we were told he would be a medium dog, after lots of love, medicine (came full of kennel cough and infections) he is the most adorable 110 lb lap puppy. He loves going for walks, but needs a strong individual, i am not that person. 3 weeks ago he dragged me into the street, the road won, split lip, teeth trough upper lip, ripped up hands, knees, and legs, a car just missed me by a second, needless to say i don't remember getting from the street into my house, i lived, don't blame "O" but realise this is a dangerous situation. My husband now insists we get rid of the dog, our younger children are no longer permitted to walk the dog, "O" has been to obedience lessons, but has a mind of his own, not the brightest crayon in the box, but sweet,sweet, sweet. I guess it comes down to the fact that I no longer feel safe walking the dog, and I cannot bring myself to just leave him in the back yard, yes it is fenced and a double lot, i feel mean or cruel, any suggestions on real placements, all this area is loaded with overpopulated shelters and rescues.

Maybe you could just bring him back to the shelter and trade him for a medium dog. They will have to do it since they guaranteed you a medium dog and here you are unhappy and with a large dog of all things! Crazy just crazy! Either that or hire a lawyer and collect for the emotional stress you are being put through dealing with this dog that grew to large. I am sure there are many lawyers that have taken cases of dogs that grew to large and won such dogs that grew to large cases in the past. Good luck! PM me if you need a lawyer...my husband might be able to help

Old 09-26-2009, 12:46 PM

212 posts, read 699,740 times
I feel real bad the op got hurt.I feel much worse for oreo.I also wonder how the kids are going to feel.

Old 09-26-2009, 07:03 PM

555 posts, read 2,211,852 times
Don't give up yet. I have an 80 lb dog, Golden, that I have been fostering for over a year. (his owner is in the army and deployed overseas) When I first got this dog, he was a little over a year old and had been couped up in a small apartment since he was a pup. Needless to say, this dog was extremely difficult to handle. He also dragged me down the street and I had plenty of bruises. I wanted to give up at times, but I was determined to get this dog under control. Now I can say after a year has passed, he is so much better. I learned that a comfortable harness and dog treats work well. I used the treats when he walked at my side. Although he still pulls a little, he is so much better and doesn;t jump on people like he used to. Is the dog getting walked enough? I walk the dog twice a day, about a mile in the morning and again in the evening. It's great when the dog finally comes around. Oreo deserves another chance. My golden is so sweet too. His master will be home soon from deployment, and I will be sad to let him go

Old 09-26-2009, 08:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,862 times
I'm very sorry that your dog isn't working out for you. I know there are many who view dogs as an object that can be replaced, but I'm not one of them. You don't mention how old Oreo was when you adopted him, but I would guess he was still a puppy being he did so much growing. There are several indications that Oreo was going to be a larger breed. You brought home a pup that was a lab/pointer mix. I'm sure you were aware that both breeds are not of medium size. Most shelters give you a 24-48 hr return policy after seeing a veterinarian. Did you take Oreo right to the vet? He/she would have been able to "guesstimate" his size for you. I am not trying to come off nasty, but this is not Oreo's fault. My pets are part of my family. Just like having a human child that may be a discipline problem, I wouldn't think of returning him/her. Why are dogs brought home w/ preconceived notions that if they don't work out, they're disposable? I'm sure you meant well when you brought Oreo home, but I just feel that you're failing him by giving up.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:41 PM

5,094 posts, read 12,586,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitz View Post
kek9333, I agree, and well said.

Everyone else - such hostility!! Not every home is a good fit for every dog. Likewise, not every dog owner is willing or able to work out every problem. Keeping the dog out of guilt for all of the homeless animals in the world is not the right answer, IMO. As long as they are responsible about finding a new home, not just dumping the dog in a kill shelter, who are any of you to judge? People have their own tolerance levels - just because they aren't the same as yours does not make them wrong, or bad, or the cause of all the world's problems.

I'm a small dog owner. I wouldn't be able to handle a big, energetic dog myself. It's unfortunate that this family didn't realize that when they adopted Oreo, but that doesn't make them evil. Maybe she doesn't have time to work on Oreo's issues. Guess what? That's OK.

OP, don't feel guilty, because you did try. Sometimes it just isn't a good fit, and if you're miserable and the dog is miserable (not getting enough exercise) then you do what you need to do. You've gotten several good suggestions.

I'm seriously at a loss for words at all the bitterness and anger being spewed on this thread. BE NICE, sheesh. :P

I think what has inflammed this thread so much is the OPs opening statement 'well that day has arrived when i need to give up Oreo ' When you read it I think what you read is they adopted a dog with the feeling that one day they would no longer want it for what ever reason.ie that dogs are throw away items. That is a concept that is very difficult for many people here as we adopted our dogs for life and will work through Good or bad come H--l or high water will keep them. I don't see a problem with someone feeling that if you do not want to work through a trainable problem with a dog then just do not get a dog as it is not fair to the dog and saying as much. I think alot of people have given her great advice as to futher training and using things like head halters before giving up on the dog.

If a dog is not walking nice on a leash it is the owners fault as not enough training has been done and if one wants a dog they can take out and walk they have to be willing to put in the time and effort to teach it to behave on leash. If you are getting a dog this is something you need to be honest with yourself about before you get a dog. Are you willing to spend time training it if not then maybe a Cat is a better pet. Dogs take time and they are not throw away items .

Old 09-27-2009, 11:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
My husband and I have both been pulled down the street a couple of times. They weren't on a leash. It was when they were running away, chasing something. We caught them by their collar, but they pulled us to the ground. We've been scrapped up really bad with terrible road rash and little rocks and soot embedded into our skin all over our bodies. Stuff happens. Big deal. It was our fault they accidently got loose to begin with. And if I had been dragged down the street when he was on a leash, that would have been my fault too.

As for getting rid of a dog, I would never do such a thing. Dogs are a lifetime commitment. No dog is going to be 100% perfect. You owe it to your dog to try to find a way to train it to walk properly. It's your responsibility. It was your responsibility when you adopted him. It's still your responsibility. I dont' care that he's bigger than you expected. This happens all the time to cute adorable puppies who aren't so cute when they get big.

My beagle basset was supposed to be 3 years old when I rescued him. (I wanted an older dog that was already done with the puppy phase.) After he ate all of my shoes and all of my upolstered furniture, the vet informed me that he was only 11 months old. (Since he had basset in him, the beagle rescue organization had misjudged his age.) I didn't get rid of him because he didn't turn out to be what I expected. I kept my shoes up high and I waited until he was older before I bought new furniture.

Since you have a large fenced in yard, you really don't have a problem. The dog can be excercised in the yard until you have figured out how to train him better. Quit justifying getting rid of this dog by 'feeling guilty' about not walking it. Just let it go out into the yard to do it's business. Go outside with balls and frisbees and give the dog a workout. Play with your dog in the yard. It will get excersise. I think it's far more cruel to get rid of the dog, than to use the fenced in yard until you get it trained. Getting rid of the dog is what's mean and cruel, not the fenced in yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs