Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 AM

1 posts, read 924 times

Advertisements

You might want to ad a small rehoming fee. If you are like most, that would be in the area of $400.00 or so. Of course, you wouldn't be SELLING your kids as you called it a rehoming fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 02:42 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Frankly, I don't see the big deal in someone getting rid of a dog if they feel it no longer fits their lifestyle, depending on HOW they do so. If anything, I applaud it, especially when it's on account of a child on the way.

Now, granted, maybe they're being hasty, maybe they should give it a chance to see first. If that is the point of this posting, that is, "give it a chance first but if it doesn't work out then by all means do what you must," then that's fine. If the point being raised is that people shouldn't take in a new pet so flippantly to start with only to get rid of it so flippantly later, then I agree, people do need to really ponder their life & such before just taking in that cute kitten (for one, that kitten will grow up to be a fat cat & won't have the same personality, that small puppy will be a big dog depending on the breed, or don't take in a cat if you get really angry at them hopping onto the kitchen table, because a lot of cats do that). However, if the point is to make people feel guilty for putting the welfare of their child over that of an animal, well frankly, I applaud them if that's the case.

LRH

Old 07-27-2013, 04:39 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I think at some point, it is OK to try and find a good home for your dogs if it just isn't working out. But please at least start the search before the last minute and DO NOT drop them off at the local city shelter.

We have a friend that has a JRT and a Rat Terrier. They are good dogs, but hyper. DUH. Well, the friend got pregnant and turned out to be twin boys (they are 2 now). The husband works long hours trying to start a business. The wife works part time and is just overwhelmed. She has contemplated rehoming them because she feels they just don't get the attention they deserve. The only thing that is stopping her is the guilt of not living up to her responsibility and the boys love the dogs. I don't know, it is tough. The only reason I'd ever give up my dogs is for aggression issues (especially towards children).
The whole "attention they deserve" thing is weird.
I mean, of course with more people (or more dogs, etc), the dog gets less attention from ME, but now she gets attention from my son (he ADORES her). And I cannot imagine that my dog would want to be anywhere in the world but in the midst of our family ruckus (where she always is) vs being sent away to live with strangers just because she gets less one-on-one face time with any one person.
That's just a weird concept. My wife didn't send me away because I was sad and lonely because my baby son takes more of her time.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:57 PM

969 posts, read 2,852,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytxeast View Post
Frankly, I don't see the big deal in someone getting rid of a dog if they feel it no longer fits their lifestyle, depending on HOW they do so. If anything, I applaud it, especially when it's on account of a child on the way.

.....................However, if the point is to make people feel guilty for putting the welfare of their child over that of an animal, well frankly, I applaud them if that's the case.

LRH
The POINT of the thread is that JUST because there is a child on the way does not mean your "beloved" pet needs to find a new home.

How is the welfare of their child negatively impacted by the pet who already lives there?

And it is a VERY VERY big deal.

Of course - someone who uses the terminology
Quote:
I don't see the big deal in someone getting rid of a dog................ If anything, I applaud it, especially when it's on account of a child on the way.
has little chance of "getting it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs