Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:30 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,449,071 times

Advertisements

Many of you already know about this. In July the Feds busted a dog-fighting ring in Missouri. The largest dog fighting ring in US history.

Here's an update on the 500 dogs who were confiscated. It's written by volunteers from the Oregon Humane Society here in Portland. There are several Oregon volunteers in Missouri who are there to help.

I was told that law enforcement involved have received threats, volunteers have received threats and the dogs are in an undisclosed location.

Embedded in the link is a video of the actual raid. It's not horribly graphic, but it is ever so heartbreaking to see how desperate those dogs were for attention.

This is not a happy news post, but a positive one IMO. There really are people from all walks of life who care and who are proactive in saving these animals and bringing the evil ones to justice.

<St.Louis>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 PM

899 posts, read 2,934,757 times
thanks for sharing this with everyone..
your sure doing oregon proud.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:33 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,974,742 times
several, if not all, of these men have pled guilty to charges and are being sentenced ..... can not remember if prison is involved (sorry, still waiting for coffee to kick in), but suspect it is........

they had a picture of one of the females on the front page of our newspaper last week...... her lips had been torn off fighting and so her teeth are permanently exposed...... she is a LOVE with people, but looks absolutely terrifying..... particularly to the uninitiated.....

yes, the dogs are being held in a secret location..... reminds me of the witness protection program........

will go find the article from the newspaper and post a link here in a bit........

Old 09-25-2009, 06:21 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,357,301 times
It doesn't help when Wayne Pacelle, CEO of the Humane Society of the United States very early on said: "I think it is pretty certain that a lot of those dogs will not pass a behavioral test".

What kind of a thing is that to say to the general public when you are the head of the nations largest animal advocacy group? He should be saying that "it's hoped that we can save every last one of them and find new loving homes for all. They deserve a chance at a good life."

What he said just reinforces the myths about pitties in general and fighting dogs in specific. While some of the dogs may truly be damaged to the point that no amount of rehabilitation would make them adoptable even as very special needs dogs he should be the voice of optimism for the dogs and explain to the public that every effort will be made to provide these dogs with a serious dose of tincture of time and some training to learn how to be great dogs.

My current foster dog, Ingrid, had been with me for 13 months and she has gone from being very dog aggressive to now romping and playing with one of my labs and has done fine around lots of strange dogs at several adoptions events.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:24 PM

here is the link from our newspaper.... the online article also includes the picture of the poor maimed female, fay........

Fighting dogs show scars from the ring - STLtoday.com (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/A7154F71FD42998C86257632000E6760?OpenDocument - broken link)

Old 09-25-2009, 12:35 PM

13,380 posts, read 28,641,184 times
I could not watch the whole thing..to heart breaking
You would think with all the Michael Vick BS these people would wake up
Horrible

Old 09-25-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
your sure doing oregon proud.
Not me, I just get the notices. There are many rescue outfits involved in this, Oregon Humane Society just happens to be one of the oldest (over 140 years involved in rescue) and better equipped ones in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
It doesn't help when Wayne Pacelle, CEO of the Humane Society of the United States very early on said: "I think it is pretty certain that a lot of those dogs will not pass a behavioral test".
This information and this story have absolutely nothing to do with the HSUS. Anyone can call themselves a Humane Society, but the HSUS are not involved in this rescue at all. Not sure if that's the correlation you were making ~ And good job with little Ingrid! We know differently, that rehabilitation can be done in most cases ~

Old 09-25-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
here is the link from our newspaper.... the online article also includes the picture of the poor maimed female, fay........

Fighting dogs show scars from the ring - STLtoday.com (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/A7154F71FD42998C86257632000E6760?OpenDocument - broken link)
Thank you for that link. I read that some of the evil-doers are in "negotiations" for a plea agreement, don't know if that's all done by now. That poor baby Fay, when first I saw her, I couldn't tell what was going on - then I thought "you s.o.b's". God bless everyone involved, who have spent their time, money and energy, to do right. That's the only positive thing about this - and that whatever happens to the dogs, they will not have to be abused again.

And I firmly believe in Karma.

BTW, I think this activity is more than a "game" to those involved. It indicates some deep-seeded perversion directly not only at animals, but people.

Last edited by Wicked Felina; 09-25-2009 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: added.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:37 PM

yeah .... sorry to say, our animial abuse and neglect laws here leave a LOT to be desired......

i am still watching the legal case against the 24 y/o dog handler who left 8 large, heavy coated dogs in her van when she arrived home after a show weekend in the middle of a heat wave we endured this past june...... and of course, 7 died.... its amazing that the one who did survive did so with little or no residual damage..... she has been charged with 7 counts of animal cruelty and the case is winding its way through court as i type this..... and to be perfectly honest, i was really surprised she was charged at all.......

Old 09-26-2009, 10:08 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,249,139 times
Default So sad.....so mad.....

To drive by the home where these dogs were bred...you never would of known it. My hubby drives right by the home twice a day. Police...Sheriff Dept. & Highway State Patrol does as well.
The home ...from what you see. looks clean & kept up.
There is still activity in the home. The cars/trucks (all nice vehicles) move daily.
Every time I drive by this place you have no idea the horrible feelings that come over me. Makes me sick. I have all I can do not to scream out the window...stop & some how just blow this place up so it doesn't exist. So no dog breeding can ever happen there again.

When the story broke...many people from that town were very, very surprised. This house is in the middle of two little pokey towns. Population 135 for one town... and maybe 2000 at most for the other town (land wise those 2000 are really spread out). Being that there is 3 miles inbetween these two towns. The house sits basically in a cornfield. No other homes around. Approx. 60 feet off of a two lane highway that is heavily driven. The owner of the home...the guilty no good you know what is also a well known last name in the county.
Things like this just make you sick.

Last I heard he pleaded guilty, but it's very doubtful he's going to do any time. I think he was fined maybe $10,000.00 BIG DEAL !!!
He has a wife & kids (adults). They live there, why aren't they being arrested ? They are just as guilty.
This just makes me sick and once again I can't write what I really feel, cause I would be bleeped off the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs