Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 04:55 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Shock collars are the lazy way to stop barking. Basic training techniques will stop barking unless the dog is relentlessly disregarded as far as needs go.
A well-exercised happy dog with appropriate training using reward does not need a shock collar. And the OP actually put LOL in his post. Why doesn't he try the shock of the collar turned up high and see how it feels. There is stupidity involved in the post but it isn't coming from the poor confused dog.
would have to make sure that it is tested on his neck though..... not his arm.....

and grannynancy...... i suspect that the outrage seen in this thread is because it is apparent in the original post that the shock collar is being used as a copout in lieu of appropriate training.......

Old 09-30-2009, 05:12 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
I will say one thing about electronic collars

The newer ones have fine tuning and very low shock levels available. They start in the $300 price range - Dogtra, Tritronics - the others are not nearly as reliable. Same thing for bark collars only they run about $100 and have mutliple levels of stimulation.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:04 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,669,719 times
that may be so, but the op is describing the dog as yelping in pain every time it shocks him. i don't think this collar is on a low setting.

i don't condone the use of shock collars under any circumstances, but at least you used it as a last resort and know how to use it. i don't think anyone is attacking you here.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:13 AM

I have a dog that will yelp if the collar is on "vibrate" - I KNOW that does not hurt, not one bit.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:39 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maureen19 View Post
I cannot believe what I am reading here, these shock collars and I use one on my Doberman, or should say she wears it but because I trained her PROPERLY AND HUMANELY with it, unlike so many of you. I never need to shock her, they should NEVER be used to stop barking, this is a problem that an owner who bothers to take time to train their dogs can stop or at least begin to control. I used my dogs collar for a serious problem i.e. running up to people approaching us and barking at them and scaring them and had it been a Yorkshire Terrier or small dog people would have laughed at this, but because mine is a Doberman people were terrified so it was my responsiblity as a responsible and humane dog owner to stop it which the shock collar did after 2 attempts by the dog to do it again, bright dogs taught the correct way learn. Its only the idiots out there who give the shock collars a bad name and majority of the people using them should not be doing so... a good test for you... wear the colar yourselves laying over your necks... turn the control up to full capacity and shock yourself several times, GUARANTEE YOU WOULD THINK TWICE ABOUT WHAT AN EVIL OWNER YOU MUST BE TO CONTINUE TO SHOCK YOUR DOGS...train yourselves and not the dog please. I get sickened by the way I hear people are treating their dogs you are a lot of unfeeling b-----ds.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Am I missing something here...????? If you have trained your dog properly...then WHY do you still make your dog wear this horrible collar ???

We have Rottweilers... and they are a HECK of a lot stronger dog than a Dobie...ALL of our Rotts are rescues...and have been rescuing Rotts over 25 years now. NEVER.....EVER.....EVER........have we used a shock collar on any of them.
We have taken the time to train our dogs.
Most of the Rotts caught on quick ...a few others it took a little time & patience...cause some of them were abused in some way...so it took a little while for them to trust. Once they trust us...they did & do everything to please us.
I just don't understand why people THINK they have to use a shock collar.
All you need to do is take the time & patience to train your dog. If you can't do that...maybe you shouldn't have a breed of dog you can't control.

If people still insist on using a shock collar...then it should come with 2 collars & both human & dog would have to wear it for it to work. For every shock the human gives the dog....the dog can reply back with it's own shocks to the human.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:15 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,216 times
If it were my neighbor I would wonder why in the heck the dog is outside all of the time (the dog is outside isn't it)?

That would be my first concern--most likely in the house it would not bark that much. I know if my small dogs are outside they bark at other dogs, bark at the birds, bark at someone in a neighboring yard however in the house they never ever bark unless someone comes to the door.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:16 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
What about the people who dress their dogs, treat them like little furbabies, ascribe to them human emotions and human behaviors, and don't acknowledge their "dogness"? There is more than enough of that to go around. They are DOGS, not furry children. I am sure that a dog that gets to live as a dog and satisfy its basic drives is a lot happier than a dog expected to parade as a little person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
How would I feel about being controlled and being told I could not speak? Guess what - I am NOT a dog.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:57 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Am I missing something here...????? If you have trained your dog properly...then WHY do you still make your dog wear this horrible collar ???

We have Rottweilers... and they are a HECK of a lot stronger dog than a Dobie...ALL of our Rotts are rescues...and have been rescuing Rotts over 25 years now. NEVER.....EVER.....EVER........have we used a shock collar on any of them.
We have taken the time to train our dogs.
Most of the Rotts caught on quick ...a few others it took a little time & patience...cause some of them were abused in some way...so it took a little while for them to trust. Once they trust us...they did & do everything to please us.
I just don't understand why people THINK they have to use a shock collar.
All you need to do is take the time & patience to train your dog. If you can't do that...maybe you shouldn't have a breed of dog you can't control.

If people still insist on using a shock collar...then it should come with 2 collars & both human & dog would have to wear it for it to work. For every shock the human gives the dog....the dog can reply back with it's own shocks to the human.

I totally agree with you. I was thinking the same thing about if your dog is well trained then why the need for a shock collar. The problem with using negative training, which to me a shock collar is, then you could end up destroying a good dog. By using positive methods your dog can't fail. You end up with a well rounded, well behaved confident dog.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:46 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post

It is amazing how some can go off on tangents. Of course, barking sometimes has to be controlled, and, of course, there are advantages to positive, humane training approaches that cement the dog/human bond. Whether a shock collar should ever be used, what type, under what circumstances and how and if it can be used humanely all relate to the point at hand.

Whether a dog is like a human, whether it should be put in clothes, how to view the dog/human relationship, and what other forms of negative training devices exist seem way off the issue at hand here.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Whether a dog is like a human, whether it should be put in clothes, how to view the dog/human relationship, and what other forms of negative training devices exist seem way off the issue at hand here.
I think it is relevant because someone said "how would you like it if you were shocked every time you tried to talk?"

That is ascribing human logic and emotions to the dog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs