U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:27 PM

2,794 posts, read 5,893,755 times

Advertisements

So do those things actually work? My neighbor got one for his dog that barks at literally anything. It has helped to stop the dog from barking constantly. But the stupid dog still barks at anything, then endures the painful shock in an equally loud YELP! He must have it turned up high lol.

Will the stupid thing ever learn not to bark in the first place?
Rate this post positively

Old 09-25-2009, 09:05 PM

9,353 posts, read 19,132,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
So do those things actually work? My neighbor got one for his dog that barks at literally anything. It has helped to stop the dog from barking constantly. But the stupid dog still barks at anything, then endures the painful shock in an equally loud YELP! He must have it turned up high lol.

Will the stupid thing ever learn not to bark in the first place?

maybe with time and training instead of TORTURE......

Old 09-25-2009, 10:05 PM

5,026 posts, read 14,738,901 times
The only stupid thing is your neighbor, who refuses to properly train this poor dog. A shock collar can be an effective tool, when used properly, though most people do not use it properly. Shock collars rely on punishment and negative reinforcement causign the poor dog to live in fear of being electrocuted for doing what dogs do...barking. Positive training methods, in which dogs are rewarded for what they do right, are kinder and more effective.

Dogs bark for a variety of reasons...boredom, distress, separation anxiety, defending their territory, etc. Dogs that are chained or left outside for long periods of time will most likely become barkers. It sounds like your neighbor is not doing anything other than relying on a painful shock to correct this behavior. I feel sorry for the poor dog.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:17 PM

3,211 posts, read 3,776,732 times
They usually work pretty good, must be a really stupid dog. Moderator cut: rude and off topic .

Seriously, I rank human suffering above doggie suffering. Listening to a dog bark for hours on end is torture for many people. It destroys the peace and tranquility of a neighborhood, and property values as well. Hiring a trainer to teach your dog not to bark is not something most people are going to do. It would be expensive and not always be effective for a tard dog that just likes to bark. A shock collar sounds better than the owner having to give up the dog to the pound where it would be destroyed.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-11-2009 at 02:15 PM..

Old 09-26-2009, 09:05 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,072,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
maybe with time and training instead of TORTURE......
what she said. a collar that shocks a dog every time it barks is not teaching it anything, except maybe that the things he's barking at make him hurt.

if people aren't willing to put the time and effort into training their dogs, then they shouldn't have dogs in the first place.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:47 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,004,796 times
Default Dogs are not stupid !!!!!!!!!

zz4guy..............................

Just in case you didn't get that..."DOGS ARE NOT STUPID".
I better not say what else I'm thinking.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:15 PM

5,026 posts, read 14,738,901 times
So I just got back from the dog park. This particular park is not fenced in, just acres and acres for dogs to run on, which means you must have an obedient dog. I noticed 7 (probably more, but that's all I counted) dogs with shock collars on. In the park. One of them was making their way toward the parking lot and I heard a horrible yelp. The owner, who was sitting on a bench, reading her newspaper and sipping her coffee, decided to shock the poor dog instead of simply getting up and calling him over. The poor thing probably doesn't even know why he got shocked. I hate people sometimes.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:37 PM

2,794 posts, read 5,893,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
zz4guy..............................

Just in case you didn't get that..."DOGS ARE NOT STUPID".
I better not say what else I'm thinking.
Define not stupid.

Please tell me what the owner should do in this situation. It's easy to feel compasion for the dog until you endure the unrelenting high pitched "arf-arf-ark" for HOURS on end and it completely ruins your evening, every day. Would you rather have it destroyed? Or make the whole neighborhood suffer for the sake of the dog? And, how was the owner supposed to know this thing barked so much before he bought it? The thing was a puppy. I think the shock collar is about the most humane solution.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:45 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,072,718 times
the owner could take the dog to a certified behaviorist or good trainer (tell them to check out the association of pet dog trainers site for one in their area), who will try to identify and correct the source of the barking. of course that will involve discipline (on the owner's part) and consistent training and/or management for the rest of the dog's life. that is part of owning a dog - not wanting to put in the effort is not a good enough reason to cause the dog pain.

is the dog a purebred? because some breeds are more likely to bark excessively than others. the owner might want to research that before they get another dog.

i don't have a problem with my dog barking (she just barks at the door, which i don't mind), but i'm sure there are methods for training dogs when it is and isn't ok to bark.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:10 PM

3,630 posts, read 14,063,620 times
I have one of those dogs - will bark constantly if not directly supervised. Yes, with training she will stop instantly when. I tell her to and start the instant I leave her.

After pulling out my hair with several trainers and working diligently on this. - My dogs are actually trained working dogs - AND after talking with other people with high drive dogs of her breed [GSD-working lines] I gave in. It was my sanity or a little discomfort for her should she bark. And it does not shock on ONE bark - it shocks on repeated barks.

Call me what you want but, guess what? If she does not bark she does not get shocked - my neighbords don't complain and I don't pull out my hair.

Here is the deal - if you want any electronic collar to work it must be snug because if it is loose it only works intermittently and you cannot leave on on the dog 24-7 because the contact points will rub a sore on the skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs