U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2009, 12:01 PM
142 posts, read 472,677 times

We recently adopted our third dog. He is an 8 month old German Shepherd mix. My other two are a pit mix (1.5 yrs) and another German Shepherd mix (2) He gets along well with my other two except when it comes to food and toys. He will eat side by side with then just fine but if the other dogs (or cat) approach his bowl or bone he growls and shoes his teeth. If I approach his bowl or bone he is fine. He is doing better when it comes to toys but it is the same thing I can take it away from him but he guards it from my other two dogs. I am signing him up for obedience class but I was wondering what I could do until then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 12:31 PM
1,257 posts, read 3,828,435 times
My GSD had the same problem when I adopted her several months ago. She was underweight. When she just arrived, she even guarded her food and water from me and my husband. I should say if I didn't read/watch a lot of training books/video, I would be bitten and freaking out and return the dog. I started by exchanging the food she was guarding with another higher value treat. I also taught her sit/down/touch/watch command. She has to do something in order to get her food and treats. After one month, she no longer guards her stuff from us.
Regarding my neighbors’ big dog, she was guarding her food, water and toys too. However, after she stopped guarding from me, I took her toy away from her if she was guarding it. Sometime I even gave it to my neighbor’s dog so they can play together. Now, she no longer guards her toys. I guess she knows that neighbor’s dog is her playmate and will not take anything away from her.
I should say my GSD is a very loving dog. Now she loves my neighbor’s dog so much that she let him do anything to her. However, she still guards her stuff from big dogs that she doesn’t know. Therefore, introducing her to a big dog is still a challenge for us.
Regarding your dog, try not to allow your other dogs to approach. If they do, you stop them first. If your dogs growl (I thing warning is a good thing), you say "no" to him and also tell the other dogs to leave him alone. The goal is to make him feel safe and show him that you, as the leader, will take care of him since he is new to the pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or