U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 PM

5,049 posts, read 8,149,426 times
Default Would you bring a muzzled dog to the dog park?

And yes, this is a real muzzle, and not a halti or gentle leader. So there is a woman at our local dog park that owns a very dog aggressive dalmation. She has admitted that her dog has severe aggresion but claims that he has a right to be at the park, just like all the other dogs. She's well known in the neighborhood and all of the other owners agree that the dog park is no place for a dog with that kind of temperament.

Whenever a new dog walks into the park, it's natural for all the ones already there to run up to it and sniff it. When they do this to her dog, he growls and gets extremely aggressive and defensive, but can't do anything because of this muzzle. She then tells all of the dog owners to keep their dogs away from her dog because he is not friendly with other dogs.

Now am I crazy to think that perhaps bringing him into the dog park is not the best idea? Not only is her dog probably stressed by this, he might encounter a dog that fights back and he won't be able to defend himself because of the muzzle. I would love to hear other thoughts on this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 01:46 PM

7,782 posts, read 7,793,780 times
report this to the park rangers and your parks dept because she should not be allowed to be in there because he has agression issues and you need to report this before something bad happens . I agree he should not be there and she sounds like a real winner too no wonder the dog has issues .

Old 09-28-2009, 01:46 PM

16,973 posts, read 11,904,303 times
I totally agree with everything you said. A dog park is not the place for an agressive dog. With or without a muzzle - for exactly the reasons you point out. Nothing more to say really.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:53 PM

I feel horrible for the poor dog more than the other dogs at the park. He'd have no chance if he messed with the wrong dog because of this muzzle. There is a phone number on the gate where we can call with complaints, so I will do that.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM

12,274 posts, read 12,017,317 times
You're 100% right -- a dog park is no place for a muzzled dog.

Artie isn't the friendliest crayon in the box. In our small neighborhood, there are 14 or so dogs. Artie is friends with three of them.

Everyone always suggests that I socialize him in a dog park. Really??? I mean, really??? How is that fair to anyone -- the other dogs, Artie, the other people, and me? It's not.

If you have a dog-aggressive dog (which, in many situations I do, much like this person with the dalmation), a dog park is NOT the place to go. It's just unfair to everyone.

PS. I should note that Artie does NOT wear a muzzle. I gauge what situations he will be fine in so there's no need to muzzle him. Muzzle or not, Artie is not a dog park kind of guy.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 09-28-2009 at 02:25 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 02:07 PM

7,661 posts, read 8,675,808 times
at all of the dog parks we have visited, it is clearly stated in the rules that aggressive dogs are NOT allowed..... with good reason, imo.....

i am taking dave in to the small dog park for short periods of time these days (about 20 minutes or so)..... he is getting more confident in himself and generally relaxes enough to approach other dogs and try to join in play after a few minutes..... he still gets frightened if several larger dogs all descend on him at once... and will get snappy and snarly...... so we try to avoid the busiest times...... and we leave IMMEDIATELY if i see he is getting overwhelmed......

Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM

7,360 posts, read 7,135,018 times
i agree with everyone else - the dog's presence there is stressful to him as well as to the other dogs. and if his aggressive behavior gets him attacked, he's defenseless. i'd definitely contact the authorities (police, park service, non emergency complaint number if your area has one) if the owner won't listen to reason.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:20 PM

5,309 posts, read 3,712,898 times
I agree this dog should not be any where unleashed. Right now I'm thinking about her dog. This is an over the top way to make this dog feel he is in danger since he can't fight back. I believe most dogs with aggression are so because of fear.

She should use the muzzle AND a leash and take him to places where he might meet another dog - one on one - and learn there is no danger. It has to be a more relaxed atmosphere - a dog park isn't that.

She's not being very bright about this. She probably is the cause for his behavior - this is many times the case.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
You're 100% right -- a dog park is no place for a muzzled dog.

Artie isn't the friendliest crayon in the box. In our small neighborhood, there are 14 or so dogs. Artie is friends with three of them.

Everyone always suggests that I socialize him in a dog park. Really??? I mean, really??? How is that fair to anyone -- the other dogs, Artie, the other people, and me? It's not.

If you have a dog-aggressive dog (which, in many situations I do, much like this person with the dalmation), a dog park is NOT the place to go. It's just unfair to everyone.

PS. I should note that Artie does NOT wear a muzzle. I gauge what situations he will be fine in so there's no need to muzzle him. Muzzle or not, Artie is not a dog park kind of guy.
Pack up the car and take Artie on a cross-country trip. PC will be his buddy!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:28 PM

7,360 posts, read 7,135,018 times
i never understand people who think a good way to socialize a dog is to plunk it down into a bunch of strange dogs running around all willy-nilly.

it's like trying to cure a person's fear of spiders by dropping them into a vat of spiders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs