Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Find me a reputable breeder that will mix two breeds together. Not gonna happen.

Backyard Breeder vs Reputable Breeder
Does this mean that all the breeders down through the centuries who crossed bred 2-5 or more breeds to developed today's pure breeds were not reputable? If so all pure breeds are founded on stock that was just mutts.

Old 10-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: orphaned quote Educate yourself on puppy mills and backyard breeders before making ridiculous statements.

I'm just going to grab some popcorn and observe this thread from now on. In fact, I might print it for my rescue coordinator. I'm sure she'd get a chuckle out of how some people are willing to pay so much for a mutt. Our rescue just got a litter of chihuahua/doxie mixes, which the pet stores and bybs refer to as chidoxies and sell them for over $800. Our adoption fee is $100, to cover the medical care they are receiving now for the mange and skin infections, which they can thank the backyard breeder for.

Moderator cut: hostile language
BTW...my puppy is called a morkie. It's a maltese/yorkie mix. And YES, I paid good money for him and would do it again in a heartbeat. Whether or not you think the breeders were reputable or not is of NO CONCERN of mine! You keep buying your purebred dogs and I'll buy whatever mixed breeds I prefer to buy.

Last edited by Keeper; 10-09-2009 at 07:18 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Does this mean that all the breeders down through the centuries who crossed bred 2-5 or more breeds to developed today's pure breeds were not reputable? If so all pure breeds are founded on stock that was just mutts.
Good point--wish I could rep you again!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:49 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
Good point--wish I could rep you again!
I have a purebred Lhasa Apso. She is my kid, my best friend, my soul mate when we spend the days together. I'm keeping for my daughter a young pup that is a first generation cross between a small poodle and a terrier. Talk about a joy to behold she is. Her daily mission in life is to make sure the house is secure and that my wife and I are OK. She sits at night with my wife but if my computer chair so much as squeaks she is here is a NY second. Someone may have paid good money for this dog or she may have been a gift. I don't know. My daughter didn't buy her. She was given the pooch from someone who was always on the go and could not spend time with her. Her attitude and other traits surely make this type of dog a candidate for development into a pure breed if a genetics minded breeder chose to do so.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:10 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: hostile language Educate yourself on puppy mills and backyard breeders before making ridiculous statements.

I'm just going to grab some popcorn and observe this thread from now on. In fact, I might print it for my rescue coordinator. I'm sure she'd get a chuckle out of how some people are willing to pay so much for a mutt. Our rescue just got a litter of chihuahua/doxie mixes, which the pet stores and bybs refer to as chidoxies and sell them for over $800. Our adoption fee is $100, to cover the medical care they are receiving now for the mange and skin infections, which they can thank the backyard breeder for.

My dog is a purebred, but even if he was a mutt he is worth a million dollars and I would hand you two million in cash for him....just because he is a mutt doesn't mean he isn't worth big bucks!!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 04:55 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Folks.. We realize this is an issue that some of you are passionate about however, we do expect you to be polite with no name calling or inflammatory posts. Stay on the topic and remember we are all entitled to our opinions

Old 10-10-2009, 07:29 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Find me a reputable breeder that will mix two breeds together. Not gonna happen.

Backyard Breeder vs Reputable Breeder
Other than #7, the Reputable Breeder standards apply to MANY breeders of mixed breeds. I'm sorry if that has not been your experience or your assumption, whichever applies.

7. Belongs to national, regional, and/or local dog clubs, indicating a love for the sport of purebred dogs. Shows their dogs as an objective test of how his stock measures up.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:01 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
TexasGirl@Heart...Please know I'm not picking on you...you just happen to be the only one who came forward to say you bought your adorable baby from a breeder. Out of curiosity...did you sign a contract, get a health guarantee,were the parents tested and did you get confirmation that eyes, hips, elbows and hearts were all tested and passed and was your baby neutered/spayed? I'm just trying to understand all of this and again, I think your little one is adorable!

Old 10-10-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
[email]TexasGirl@Heart...Please know I'm not picking on you...you just happen to be the only one who came forward to say you bought your adorable baby from a breeder. Out of curiosity...did you sign a contract, get a health guarantee,were the parents tested and did you get confirmation that eyes, hips, elbows and hearts were all tested and passed and was your baby neutered/spayed? I'm just trying to understand all of this and again, I think your little one is adorable!
I did sign a contract stating that I would neuter my puppy. He has an appointment when we return from vacation at the end of the month. I also received a health guarantee and was told if anything comes up within the first year of life, he would refund my money and take my puppy back. He also said if at anytime (no matter what age of my dog), if for some reason I couldn't care for him, he would take the dog back. He was also tested for eyes, hips and heart....not sure about elbows...I can't find that anywhere.

Thanks for the compliments on my puppy.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
All of us are dog lovers, so we've got a lot of common ground. Why bicker? The important thing is that we were all able to find that one special dog that touches our heart, integrate it into our families, and love it unconditionally as it loves us. How could that be a bad thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs