Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:42 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,956,596 times

Advertisements

I ran into a lady the other day and she had her dog with her and asked her what breed the dog was and she replied she is a new breed . The dog is called a Cavachon . It is a cross btwn a cavalier king charles and a bichon . Hello it is a mutt mixed breed !! Not a new breed . I wanted to scream at this lady so bad . Yeah just what we need out there another bunch of people breeding mutt and calling them some new breed . Gawd are ppl really this stupid ? I just could not believe it . what do you all say ?

Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,931,166 times
UNFORTINALLY most folks ARE just that stupid .. and nothing you can do to smarten them up ..

Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,268,262 times
As long as these idiot people are willing to pay for them...they will keep coming up with a new breed of mutt. A sucker born every minute

Old 10-05-2009, 08:00 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,527,359 times
So does that mean my pug/schnauzer mix is a shpug and my lab/blue heeler/rottie mix is a blue lottie? lol People crack me up with their fancy new breed dogs.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,006,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I ran into a lady the other day and she had her dog with her and asked her what breed the dog was and she replied she is a new breed . The dog is called a Cavachon . It is a cross btwn a cavalier king charles and a bichon . Hello it is a mutt mixed breed !! Not a new breed . I wanted to scream at this lady so bad . Yeah just what we need out there another bunch of people breeding mutt and calling them some new breed . Gawd are ppl really this stupid ? I just could not believe it . what do you all say ?
I tend to agree. Around here there are Labradoodles, Goldendoodles, Snorkies, Yorkteses, etc., etc., ad infinitum ad nauseum. They call them "Designer Dog Breeds" I believe and the idea is that you get the best qualities of the two breeds in one. I have seen some REALLY WEIRD combinations and the ugliest dog I have ever seen in my entire life was a Bassett Hound X Jack Russell Terrier. Don't ask. Please don't ask.

Although I will tell you that I did meet a little Puggle (Pug x Beagle) one that really stole my heart. And I tell you, I am not a dog person at all. But Puggles have to be the cutest dogs in the whole world.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-05-2009, 08:09 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,151,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yeah, I'm with you on that! I hate that! There are enough dogs already! Shelters are overflowing with dogs that just end up getting put to sleep to make room for the tons of other dogs that don't have homes! It is so sad that people think it's okay to breed mutts like that! Besides the fact that they are taking homes away from shelter dogs, they are ripping people off! I just don't think I'll ever understand the people that buy these so-called "designer" dogs! All they are doing is pay just as much, if not more, than they would pay for a well bred, pure bred dog, when they could get the same mixed breed for so much cheaper ($40-$60) at a shelter and be saving a life!

You know what though, as much as I can't stand it that people will spend $1,000-$5,000+ for a mutt, it really is the mutt breeders we should be mad at! IMHO, anyone and everyone needs to do their research before getting any dog. It is critical! Every breed is different and people need to make sure that they are getting a breed that will fit with their family and lifestyle. And it is equally important to do research to figure out where to get your dog. A shelter, a breeder, etc. If someone decides to buy from a breeder, they have to make sure that they buy from an experienced, reputable breeder, that breeds healthy, stable, properly bred dogs! The fact that someone would buy from a so-called "designer" dog breeder, right away shows me that this person did not do any of their research! However, these "designer" breeders go to amazing lengths to con people into buying from them! So, again, IMHO, it's all horrible, not to mention so sad for the shelter dogs, but I think it's these "designer" breeders that are the root of the problem. It's the ignorant people that do not do their research and buy from these mutts breeders that are feeding the fire!

By the way, I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I have nothing against mutts. I have nothing against any breed or mix. It's the fact that people are paying disgusting amounts of money for a mixed breed dog from a "breeder" instead of saving a shelter dog that really gets me!

Old 10-05-2009, 08:10 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,655,661 times
I wouldn't let it bother you...what difference does it make as long as the dog is cared for.

Old 10-05-2009, 08:25 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,151,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
I wouldn't let it bother you...what difference does it make as long as the dog is cared for.
I agree with you, in a way. Obviously, the most important thing is that the dog is loved and well cared for. However, as I said, what bothers me is the fact that the dogs in shelters are missing out on good homes because these so-called "designer" breeders are breeding mutts and conning people into believing that they are selling a new breed, or a "designer" breed. So, instead of getting a mixed breed from a shelter, saving that dogs life and giving him the good, loving home he has needed and deserved for God only knows how long now, they spend the same an insane amount of money on a "designer" dog instead! Also as I said before, the root of the problem is these breeders. Obviously if they weren't breeding mutts and conning people into buying them, we wouldn't have this problem. But, the people that are buying these dogs, who obviously have not done the proper research if they are buying from a "designer" breeder, are the reason that these breeders continue to breed mutts and continue to take homes away from the mutts (and pure bred dogs) in shelters. They are just adding fuel to the fire!

Old 10-05-2009, 08:47 PM

691 posts, read 2,321,908 times
Okay, my last dog, Sam, was a Bacorgi, that is a special mixture of Basset Hound and Corgi. He was specially bred on a farm in Montana. Yes, he was a "designer" dog.

Not. But I could have called him that. He was a great dog.

I guess I should just go check out the shelter, and see if they have any "Bacorgis".

Old 10-05-2009, 08:56 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,241,062 times
The worst part is, a lot of these people don't realize that puggles, labradoodles, schnorkies, etc. are mutts and not actual breeds and are willing to pay a lot for them. Referring to these mutts by these ridiculous sounding names is just going to perpetuate the idea that these are real breeds and not mutts and homes will be taken away from shelter dogs.

No reputable breeder will mix two breeds, so by getting that "puggle" you are knowingly supporting a backyard breeder, or worse, a puppy mill. A quick search on Petfinder shows 27 pug/beagle mixes in my area, and countless poodle mixes (with lab, golden, cocker spaniel, etc.). I wish more people would realize that there are plenty of these dogs at rescues and shelters.

Oh, and I tend to think that the pug/beagle mixes are really ugly. They are really common here and we see about 11 on any given day at the dog park. No two look alike. Different sizes, different colors, some resemble more of the beagle while others the pug. There is no standard and the breeders can't recreate the same characteristics with each litter and should not be mixing these two breeds together. Our neighbor just got 2, one black and one light brown, at $1100 each, from a pet store. While I hope the dogs have a long and happy life, I also kind of hope that they get the howling trait from the beagle and the snorting/snoring from the Pug so that he can see just how unpredictable mixing dogs can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.