Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:41 AM

629 posts, read 3,598,083 times

Advertisements

Does anyone use Program for dogs? I am thinking of switching from Frontline to an Oral med for my Boxers. They take Sentinel for heartworms. It has a flea preventative in it. Will taking 2 oral flea preventatives harm them?

Just curious. I have never had much luck with the frontline or any other topical preventative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
,,,Just curious. I have never had much luck with the frontline or any other topical preventative.
Frontline has never really worked for anyone. I have never heard of a over the counter flea treatment ever working.

We use Advantage and Revolution. Both are considered prescription flea medications. But when you are in the know, only the rabies vaccine is controlled.
We buy ours from Petshed.com. If they are out we but from Canadian online companies. Our vet charges us $30 for one tube for treating a 20 pound dog. When we buy online we pay $35 for 6 tubes. Big hint, a tube for a 100 pound dog is only pennies more than for a 10 pound dog. The medication is exactly the same for dogs or cats. We buy tubes for our dog and 3 ferrets, divide them up from a single tube.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:19 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
Frontline has never really worked for anyone. I have never heard of a over the counter flea treatment ever working.
Frontline is purchased through a Vet.

I wouldn't do both. Have you discussed it with your vet? If one isn't working then you need to switch. Frontline has always worked for us. I just recently switched from Frontline to Sentinel just because it's easier and the Frontline is just so greasy.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Revolution work GREAT for my dogs. No heart worm prevention needed with it. It gets everything.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 AM

518 posts, read 2,060,526 times
Never heard of Program. I wouldnt take the 2 flea meds. I would talk with your vet about what you are giving and what would work best for your dogs' lifestyle.

Revolution might be a good option to switch to. Our vet charges about $17 for one tube. Revolution is also good if you suspect your dog could have allergies to beef (which Heartgard, Interceptor and Sentinal are based with).

We've been using FL for years, it has always worked for us. Salt water will wash it off, if you give a bath too soon before or after it will wash off also. You have to remove the collar, then play with the dog for about 30 minutes or so to get the medicine to absorb quicker into the skin.

Sentinal has a flea sterlizer in it. Fleas can still get on the dog and bite, but they can not reproduce. Must be given with food to activate the sterlizer.

Fleas are persistent, it can take 3 months to stop the life-cycle of a flea. The house, bedding, etc....should be treated as well as the dog.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:02 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
We use Revolution as well. It covers fleas and heartworm. We live in an area where fleas are around all year long and have never had issues. Frontline is sold at all the pet stores around here, and Costco, so you do not need a prescription for it and you don't have to buy it through a vet's office. It's not recommended in this area at all, given the flea issues we have and how poorly it works.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:15 AM

399 posts, read 2,253,055 times
Glad you asked. Sentinel HAS lufenuron in it - which is what Program tablets are. It doesn't actually affect the pets at all, just prevents the eggs from hatching out. Program (when it came out) was great, but that was before the topical applications of flea control. IF you had a completely INDOOR pet, it works great. Any time that a pet goes outside, they are exposed and do bring fleas back inside. The fleas can still affect the pet, but the eggs that they lay will never hatch (meaning your pet will still have the adult fleas until they die but their offspring won't infest your house). That being said...you can still have a huge flea problem. I have 2 dogs on Advantix and my totally indoor cat is on Program. Program is a good thing, but only if you have a completely indoor pet (and don't happen to live in the South like me!)

Old 10-06-2009, 11:36 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastone View Post
Never heard of Program. I wouldnt take the 2 flea meds. I would talk with your vet about what you are giving and what would work best for your dogs' lifestyle.

Revolution might be a good option to switch to. Our vet charges about $17 for one tube. Revolution is also good if you suspect your dog could have allergies to beef (which Heartgard, Interceptor and Sentinal are based with).

We've been using FL for years, it has always worked for us. Salt water will wash it off, if you give a bath too soon before or after it will wash off also. You have to remove the collar, then play with the dog for about 30 minutes or so to get the medicine to absorb quicker into the skin.

Sentinal has a flea sterlizer in it. Fleas can still get on the dog and bite, but they can not reproduce. Must be given with food to activate the sterlizer.

Fleas are persistent, it can take 3 months to stop the life-cycle of a flea. The house, bedding, etc....should be treated as well as the dog.
The cost is determined by the dogs weight.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:40 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Which Frontline product have you been using? It may be important to note that Frontline Top Spot only kills adult fleas. If you have a heavy yard/home infestation you will continue to see fleas on the dog even after strict compliance with the application schedule.

Frontline Plus is advertised as killing all stages of the flea lifecycle. In this regard it seems to work at least reasonably well, but again, if you have a heavy infestation in the yard treating the dog only can be a tough row to hoe.

I can, however, attest to the effectiveness of either Frontline product in preventing ticks. We spend quite a bit of time in areas where ticks are common and I will frequently pick three or four off of myself after a day in the field but I have yet to pull a single tick from my dog's hide since I started Frontline Plus. It seems to function as advertised in that department.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:49 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post

We use Advantage and Revolution. Both are considered prescription flea medications. But when you are in the know, only the rabies vaccine is controlled.
We buy ours from Petshed.com. If they are out we but from Canadian online companies. Our vet charges us $30 for one tube for treating a 20 pound dog. When we buy online we pay $35 for 6 tubes. Big hint, a tube for a 100 pound dog is only pennies more than for a 10 pound dog. The medication is exactly the same for dogs or cats. We buy tubes for our dog and 3 ferrets, divide them up from a single tube.

frontline plus has worked VERY well for us for YEARS..... it can be purchased at the vet, at petco / petsmart (as can advantage) or on the internet..... i bought my last package of 6 from an australian company called deadfleaz.com ..... received the order within about a week of placing my order..... their prices were better than even the canadian companies and shipping was only $6-7.00

i live in a heavily wooded suburb of st. louis and the parks i take bailey (and now dave) to for walks are in river bottom flood plains.... never had problem one with fleas.......

HOWEVER..... 2-3 springs ago, bailey did get some ticks.... it appeared they had to bite her to actually be killed by the flea / tick protection. those that i found on her were dead or dying, but they were still there........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs