Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 04:38 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times

Advertisements

I'm so sorry your poor baby is having this issue...! I posted on the cat forum about a product I found from the "Honest Kitchen" called "Perfect Form"...it's all natural, and cleared up some really awful diarrhea my newly rescued kitten had, in just one day. Needless to say, I was amazed! It contains: papaya leaf, plantain, slippery elm, pectin, pumpkin seed, fennel & papain...completely natural, and usually dogs enjoy the flavor more than cats, according to the owner of the holistic pet food store I go to, but my cats and dogs ALL love it. It can be used as a daily supplement to promote healthy digestive function.

The kitten I rescued last year had coccidia, and after 1 round of Albon, it was still very much plaguing him...I didn't want to keep putting chemicals into his newly-developing immune system, so I started brewing chamomile tea and putting it in his food...it expels parasites and is very inexpensive, (I used actual dried chamomile I got at a health food store & used a tea ball to steep it in the boiling water.)

As for the food itself, Wellness Core is grain-free and an excellent choice, but my favorite is the Honest Kitchen's dehydrated raw food...they use human grade food, all are gluten-free, and there are several different formulas to choose from, so if your dog has an allergy to certain protein sources there are options...I use one called "Keen", which is a little different from the others b/c it has rolled oats while the rest are both gluten and grain-free. My dogs have been thriving on this stuff, and their stools are consistently firm and normal, plus their energy levels have skyrocketed.

If it is coccidia, (which is what it sounds like to me), it can be a real pain in the you-know-what to get rid of, but once an animal's immune system is up to par, it will knock those nasty buggers right out...the best way to build that immune system up is through great nutrition & staying away from chemicals, they only deplete it and ruin all your hard work.

Good luck, and hang in there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 05:51 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
We had Bigun out for his mid-afternoon walk, and I am thrilled to report dropping that looked normal! I didn't give him his tablespoon of Ritz's canned food (Blue home-style recipe) that I've been using to hide the probiotics powder. Hmmm. Could it be as simple as just stopping any canned food?

I think I am going to stay with the earlier suggestion, and not change a thing, other than to stop the canned "probiotic helper" and see if that's all it takes. After a week, if I am still seeing recurring soft stools, I'll look for the pumpkin.

Thanks, again, everyone!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:53 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,423,079 times
That's very encouraging, mine have been on canned food very seldom but I have a hunch you might be right, the dry may be the way to go (knock wood), way to go, Bigun (& mom!)

Old 10-11-2009, 09:10 AM

Now, I am certain the changing diet and wet foods were combining to make my Bigun suffer. Last night I gave him some training treats (Purina Puppy Chow coated with bacon drippings) -- obviously having a severe LACK of Mindfulness, at the time! This morning, the first two eliminations were fine, but the last one was another "pudding" pop.

From here on out, it's the Wellness Super5Mix Puppy and nothing else. Training will have to have its own rewards, without treats.! (Sigh.)

Old 10-11-2009, 10:46 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,288,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
From here on out, it's the Wellness Super5Mix Puppy and nothing else. Training will have to have its own rewards, without treats.! (Sigh.)
You could always measure out Bigun's food for the day and take a handful out to use as training rewards. Even though I need to use regular kibble for my dog's training when I run out of real treats, she is just as excited for it as she would be soft treats because I am giving them to her for a job well done.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:36 AM

So true. This morning's use of breakfast kibble to reinforce going to his basket worked very well. Of course, he still values sitting in Mom's chair more! 8)

Just want to thank everyone, again. We had a whole day -- with one soft exception, of healthy elimination. You have all been great.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:35 AM

Praise works wonders and can be very encouraging in itself. I think that less is best - a bag of dog treats around here lasts a looonnng time b/c I dole them out sparingly - the size they get is about equal to a piece of kibble. Of course, if they had their druthers, they'd wolf down the whole bag but that's not how it works and isn't what's best for them and they're happy and healthy - and of course, solid poop is much easier to scoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Now, I am certain the changing diet and wet foods were combining to make my Bigun suffer. Last night I gave him some training treats (Purina Puppy Chow coated with bacon drippings) -- obviously having a severe LACK of Mindfulness, at the time! This morning, the first two eliminations were fine, but the last one was another "pudding" pop.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:51 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Lookin at my grocery store they carry cheddar cheese that is already cut into small cubes about 3/4" on average. I then cut those in half, then quarter the two halves to get 8 very small pieces but they are perfect for training treats. I also use Bil-Jac Liver Treats and cut those in half.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 AM

My DIL once mentioned when she was helping out w/ nursery school kids, they would get so excited and would behave wonderfully for a mere skittle (smaller than an M&M) and the kids lovvved them - it's a similar idea. I'm sure it didnt happen all the time and they had the parents' permission but it worked well (maybe b/c it was so seldom).

Last edited by Honeycrisp; 10-12-2009 at 07:49 AM..

Old 12-21-2009, 05:02 PM

2 posts, read 5,012 times
Default Diarrhea

Sounds like a biopsy is next,rather then a "shot gun" approach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs