U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:38 PM

11 posts, read 12,591 times
Default My old boy - may be his time

My 15 year old Spaniel I have mentioned previously, I think may be in his final times. I can not get him to eat much the last few days for no apparent reason. For the last few months I had to fix him rice and hamburger or cooked chicken breasts, etc. He would ignore canned and dry food. He was eating ok a week ago but since the start of this week turns his nose at most things. I have 6 bowls out of different offering and he will go back n forth to them sniffing them but has only eaten a little hamburger.
Took him to vet today for a full checkup and blood work. They said most things look ok but his white blood count is pretty low. Said could be start of some kind of cancer. They gave him penicillin shot in case he has infection and said if his appetite does not return by this weekend then it is serious.
Since then I have cooked him every thing I can think of including beef and pork stew meat. He ate a little of that and some hamburger but not nearly the volume of normal.
I can not imagine him getting back to where fixing meals of dog food or similar will come back.
Has anyone seen anything similar in their dogs? I am wondering if he has months yet or if these are his final days. I do not want to keep him hanging on longer than should be if the final verdict is clear.
He paces a lot, sleeps a lot and seems restless but not in pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 09:24 PM

2 posts, read 1,461 times
I wish I had any sort of help or advice... really I just wanted to say I'm so sorry. It must be tough. I hope he holds out a little longer for you and isn't in any pain.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:27 PM

3,681 posts, read 10,550,213 times
toast with eggs and some baby food-scramble eggs with cheese! Real cheese or the cottage cheese with the eggs! He may be real ill, but if he would
eat some? I am real sorry for you and your friend! It is real hard, and you will know when- Seems I did but never did admit I did. You always could hand feed with good food that the dog may want. However donot force the dog to eat. My little Bichon age 14 had major problems with blood test.
The vet did say get all the meds and make her eat? She was a dog who did live to eat. Anyway she died the next day and I did not force her.
I also did fire her vet. 15 is old but you alone know your dog and if it is bad do all the most favorite of you and your friend. Even do try ice cream
and just love your dog. Some churches this week-end for the 10th are having the blessing of animals which my dog will attend. I feel it may help
and won't hurt her she is only now 9 with joint pain. The baby food with rice wam it up and feed small portions and do not leave out! Also don't leave eggs out also! You also could get the tests and try another vet but only you will know that.

Last edited by maggiekate; 10-08-2009 at 10:14 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 10:57 PM

16,274 posts, read 29,862,519 times
Sometimes they tell us by losing interest in everything. Sounds like he may be there, even though you don't want him to be. It's so hard to let them go, but we have to do what is best for them, not us. I feel sorry for both of you.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:03 AM

1,587 posts, read 4,258,311 times
May be the end and with the age most likely. Lucky to have a caring,loving family and he may be holding on as knows you are not ready to let go. As long as no pain and no major accidents feed him whatever will eat and cherish his time. Let the pup know if he is ready to cross the bridge you understand and know they will wait on other side for you.

It is hard, but sooner or later we have to let go. They sense it better than us humans do. Sorry having to go through this but think of the good times and all those wonderful years.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 AM
Status: "Snow-laced trees - the beauty of serenity" (set 7 days ago)

3,618 posts, read 1,640,732 times
I read your last post - I'm sooo sorry . It's so difficult when you love them and have to think about saying good-bye.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:13 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,941,635 times
It's never easy to lose a long time devoted friend. At 15 yrs old it may be coming close to his time. That is longer than the average life span for a dog.
I know how you feel. In my life time I've had to experience this a few times.
If he isn't in pain just spend as much time as you can with him and hold, pet, rub his belly or whatever to make him comfortable and fix him anything he will eat even if it's only a few bites.
If he is in pain do him a favor and don't let him suffer.
A few months ago I had to have my Ginger put down. She was a few months short of 15. She was born in this house and lived a good life. We wanted to keep her as long as possible but when it became apparant she was in misery we did the best thing for her to end her suffering.
It was hard to do but I couldn't stand to see my beloved pet hurting with no chance of getting better. She wasn't the first one. And it wasn't any easier losing her than it was losing ones years ago. I keep my dogs forever and let nature take its course. Each and everyone of them I have lost bring back good memories of being lucky enough to have had such good friends and knowing that I provided them the best care I could and while they lived they had a loving, comfortable life.
That is all you can do.
I salute you for giving your pet that kind of life.
The low white blood count is a concern. That is how Ginger's tests first came back.
She lasted about 4 months after that untill she got to the point of being in constant pain and not being able to do anything but sip a little water. It was then that we knew it was time.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:48 AM

3,273 posts, read 6,130,121 times
I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for what you are going through - it's tough to watch our beloved friends fail. My thoughts are with you.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:04 AM

1,178 posts, read 1,783,917 times
This post made me cry. I just can't stand how short their life spans are. I know you love your baby and will know deep inside when it is time. You gave love and provided a good, safe home. Truthfully, as a first time dog owner(of two), this is my worst fear, that I know I will have to say goodbye. But, it is reality and it's better to relieve their suffering, if need be. When my Mazzie herniated several disks(much worse for a dog), was paralyzed, & in horrible pain, I decided then that only if surgery was a good option, would I not put her down. Only because she was so young at 5 yrs old, did I even let them do surgery. But, she pulled thru and is doing great. But I will never forget the promise I made as I looked into her eyes, I WOULD NOT let her suffer. Good luck and God bless you in this difficult time.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:49 AM

9,736 posts, read 23,681,480 times
Sounds very similar to our story a few months back. My 13 yr old Golden...basically just shut herself down. Sometimes, they know more we do. I too, cooked...even tried steak...she would take a few nibbles and leave the rest.
Best you can do, is treat him like the king he is. Make him comfortable and show him all the love you feel. Just don't wait too too long. If he appears to start to suffer, ie weak or any other failing symptoms, find it in your heart to put him to rest. He deserves that.
Hopefully, he will regain his appetite and return to his former self. Good luck and please, keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs