U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where did you get your dog?
pet store 1 0.78%
shelter/rescue 80 62.50%
found as a stray 13 10.16%
breeder (small scale, contract required, dogs kept as pet) 30 23.44%
large scale commercial breeder (backyard breeder, no contract, many litters) 5 3.91%
unknown breeder 0 0%
friend who bred their dog 5 3.91%
person who had to get rid of their pet (friend or from classified ad) 9 7.03%
other (please explain) 12 9.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:27 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,685,471 times

Advertisements

there's been a lot of talk/debate about different ways of obtaining dogs lately, and i was interested to see some stats on how people got their dogs! i'd appreciate it if we avoided debate in this thread, since there are other threads going where we can debate. please just give additional information about where you got your dogs and refrain from judging other people. i'm including multiple options for people with multiple dogs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:35 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,592,244 times
Just like all my cat and the pets before him... shelter/rescue.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 AM

102 posts, read 486,038 times
Virginia German Shepherd Rescue. Wonderful group!

Old 10-11-2009, 09:36 AM

192 posts, read 539,750 times
Our first family dog, 25yrs ago, my parents adopted from a shelter.

Our second family dog, we adopted from the shelter.

Our third and fourth family dog, we bought at the same time from a small scale (dachshund) breeder.

My brother bought his great dane from a breeder.....he's impatient and impulsive and wanted a purebred puppy, now....regardless of cost.

MY first dog, I bought in 2001 (when I was 15), from a backyard breeder....we didnt know at the time they were a backyard breeder until we got there, and I couldnt bare to leave him behind. My mom said I could have a dog if I paid for it, and he was only $200. He was a great dog, the best, but my petsitter stole him 2 years ago, and I never got him back....

which is how I got my new dog. I got her from a shelter in TN May '08 when I was living in NJ with my mom....Ive been doing high-kill shelter transportation on and off for a few years, and her picture was in one of the e-mails, and I HAD to adopt her!! I really wish I had adopted one of her siblings as well, she's the perfect dog!, but they all got snatched up pretty quickly, which is good they all got adopted!!

I found an old dog 2 and a half years ago....a black lab/shepherd mix, I ended up keeping her for about 9months before she had to be put down.

Adopted another dog in January of this year from a shelter, who now lives with my brother and his great dane.

So.....how we went about getting a dog is all over the place, though I do have a soft spot for rescues!

Old 10-11-2009, 09:41 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,787,953 times
I'm including my daughters dogs, since I was directly involved. One found on the side of the road left for dead, one rescued from someone who did not know or care enough to care for him. And I included one "other", since I was the Breeder. For 20+ years I raised and bred Goldens. Dylan is one of my line that I worked long and hard on.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,075,066 times
One was bred by a friend and one came from a rescue network.

When my son was young, we needed a puppy. We didn't care what type of puppy, but it had to be a puppy because all of the bigger puppies at the shelter frightened our son at four years old. (Shelters never seem to have puppies where I live.) So my friend's sister bred her labrador specifically for us. The rest of the litter went to great homes---only went to her friends or friends of her family and she has kept in touch with everyone throughout the years. He is 14 years old now and I don't regret the decision we made.

When our son was older, we decided to add another dog to our family. Three years ago, we picked our beagle/basset mut from the internet website of a beagle rescue group called BREW. I highly recommend BREW. They go to great lengths to make a good match. Our area coordinator interviewed my family and investigating our house. Most importantly, she communicated with the foster home to make sure that the dog's traits were in line with our lifestyle. My beagle/basset mut was delivered to us from a foster home in another state one cold January and fit right into the family immediately. He is the love of my life.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:51 AM

186,940 posts, read 76,770,894 times
My pup came from a family who had a 4 year old that was abusing the dog. So I guess you could say we rescued her from a power ranger.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:53 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,083,872 times
Animal Shelter, both of them.

I'm not opposed to getting on in the future from an ethical breeder. I don't want to support puppy mills. I'm all for them being abolished and the people who run them being thrown in prison for at least 5 years and facing a huge fine.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:56 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,685,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
And I included one "other", since I was the Breeder. For 20+ years I raised and bred Goldens. Dylan is one of my line that I worked long and hard on.
yeah, i realized a few seconds too late that i forgot to include "bred own dogs".

oh and it's funny, i never got a cat from a shelter (as an adult), although i never bought one from a pet store or breeder either. i have 4 right now and 1 my husband found in an empty apartment 14 years ago (he was locked in for months, his siblings died), 2 i got from friends/acquaintances who were getting rid of them, 1 i found in a dumpster (shut inside a box with her sisters!).

Old 10-11-2009, 10:04 AM

1,203 posts, read 3,860,107 times
My first dog I got from a guy who had 2 females and 1 male dog, the male got to both of the females within a two week period and the owner had a TON of puppies. I know he didn't mean to breed them, and I don't think he planned on the male getting his females pregnant, but I ended up with a great pug/schnauzer mix out of it. He got all of his dogs fixed after that.

My second dog I got from a rescue group who had found the mom and pups under an old house. She told me it took some coaxing to get the mom and all her pups out but she was glad she could rescue them and give them all to good homes. She is a blue heeler/black lab mix with some rottie I believe. The rescue never saw the dad, but I got another great, loving dog out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or