U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:29 PM

770 posts, read 2,595,465 times
Default lumps in older dogs

I have two older dogs, 7 years old to be exact. One is a rottweiler, the other is a mix. My Rottweiler has had two surgeries removing what the doctor called lipomas from his legs. They are harmless lumps, which usually do not have to be removed, however because of the location and it was causing pain to my poor boy I had them taken out. Now I am noticing a few lumps on my mix breed. While in Petsmart one day a man and I were talking and he told me that he believed that the chlorine in water caused the lumps to become active. he told me to take my pets water, put it outside in the sun for 24 hours, and let the chlorine evaporate. I was wondering if anyone had done any research on this type of thing, or if your animals have experienced the same. I feel so helpless, and it seems like not a lot of research has been done on this issue. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 03:25 PM

389 posts, read 2,503,795 times
I have never heard anything like that. Lypomas are just fatty tumors, my older golden has lots of them and they are very common in older dogs. If I notice that one has grown considerably, we do a needle aspirate to check it, but so far, there has not been a change, and they are still harmless. I would like to know where this person got this info from. It just seems to me if that were a researched finding that vets would inform people of that, and none of our 3 vets has ever mentioned that as a possibility.

I really don't know what to think of that.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:29 PM

3,684 posts, read 8,320,783 times
I've never heard of the chlorine link either...but I do have an old lumpy girl dog. We have only needed to biopsy one as it was sitting on her thryroid. The others are all over and I find new ones each day...just a sign of old age along with the white face. If you find info on the chlorine thing please post.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:29 PM

5,396 posts, read 4,559,426 times
My old girl has lots of lumps, can't remember the name of them, but they are fluid filled and sometimes rupture. My vets have never commented on a reason for them (she began getting them when she was about 7), although my vet is now watching one that is one her spine. I guess I will have to research that, never thought about water being the culprit, just thought it was something that came with age in some breeds.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:11 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,614,970 times
We do not have chlorinated water here and dogs still get lumps. Most of the time (like already posted) they are just fatty tumors. My one mutt who is 12 has one between her chest and leg. Doesn't cause her any pain or discomfort that I have seen so far. I still had it checked out by the vet to be on the safe side. Just like humans, they get lumps, bumps and slower as they age.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:46 PM

14,444 posts, read 15,446,671 times
some dogs produce too much mucin, so it forms little lumps on the skin. They are harmless though.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:50 AM

4,081 posts, read 10,556,719 times
I've never heard the chlorine link either and not too sure what I think of it

However our nutritionist has said that it can be attributed to grains in the diet. They've actually switched dogs to a grain free food, such as Evo and witnessed the lumps disappearing. Before trying anything like that I'd suggest getting a CBC on your dog so you know where the protein count is and being only meat it's much higher in protein. As always, consult the vet first

Old 08-11-2008, 09:15 PM

1 posts, read 24,737 times
Default lipoma?

Hi, I see this is an old thread, but I too have questions about lipoma.

My 4 yo Doberman, female, has had pups at 18 mo. Not a good experience, she came to us as a breeder dog and we had to keep this agreement. She did not do well as a Mum. Afterward she was spayed. (when Vet said the time was right). She developed incontinence and the Vet said it was hormonal. She took natural estrogen about once a week.

Eventually I gave her a natural supp that seemed to help and gave up the RX. Recently her incontinence has worsened. Last week, I noticed she had large, lumps on her back. I had noticed them in the past, and thought it was muscle, she is quite big and muscular. They seemed uneven now. I took a closer look and could not make out if it was muscle and spine, or something else.

My husband took her to the Vet and he said they are lipomas. Just keep an eye on them. These masses are very big, mostly hard, and seem to be up and down her back. I think she even may have a large one at the base area on either side of the spine above the tail. When I touch them, she puts her face on my hand as if to say, don't do that. It must hurt. After petting her and checking the lumps out she went in to the other room, and urinated, while lying on the sofa.

I have never seen this type of lipoma before this. I am concerned very much that if at four y o she has this many, and they seem to hurt, what can this mean?

I will call the Vet, but I would love any feedback.

I have heard instead of surgery some Vets treat some dogs with Calcium injections??

Thanks, I am so worried about my Maggie
Juli

Old 08-11-2008, 09:46 PM

1,315 posts, read 4,501,906 times
Dobies are prone to lipomas, especially females. Did your vet do a needle aspiration to be sure the masses are indeed lipomas? While true lipomas are not cancerous, there are other similar looking masses that are.

Most of the lipomas my dogs have had have been on the belly, flank and upper legs. Once a dog gets one, more will usually appear. I'm not sure how common they are on the back. Watching and waiting is the standard treatment protocol. Surgery is an option, but it does require anesthesia and the associated risks and expense.

Calcium chloride injections into the tumors kills the tissue and shrinks the tumor. I think they only do this if the tumors are small because when the calcium chloride kills the tumor tissue it can also create a wound where the tissue died.

For the incontinence, if the estrogen didn't work well, did you try PPA? Females with incontinence are often prone to bladder and vaginal infections.

If you are uncomfortable with your vet's diagnosis or treatment plan, you might want to consider getting another opinion.

-

Last edited by leorah; 08-11-2008 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: forgot one part!

Old 08-12-2008, 12:06 PM

8,424 posts, read 23,806,424 times
Dobe migh of been damaged when she was fixed. It happens to people sometimes when they get thier insides taken out for health reasons.

We had a lumpy lab and a pool...He loved to do the drink and swim thing.
He had a lot of them cut out. It improved his whole vigor. I will always pay to have them removed on any dog. I dont think they like them too much. We did switch his food at the time too. I am thinking his reason was the grain issue. I just thought it was better for him because he had bad joints.

ALways get them checked out. They can be cancer. And even if they are not, the dog will love you for making him feel so much better and so less lumpy!

I think our total cost at a small town vet was 600$

And priceless to see the large dog try to navigate around with the head cone on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs