U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 01:01 PM

142 posts, read 506,204 times

Advertisements

Roxy (pit mix) is the boss of all dogs in our house and everyone knows it, but she will happily comply to most human requests. She is a sweetheart and loves everyone and everything. She has so much energy! If I don't walk her one day she is practically bouncing off the walls. She can never get enouh attenion. She is definitely the smartest as well she recognizes words like ball, toy, rope, walk (of course all dogs know walk lol), outside, daddy's home ect. I even trained her to close the door . She is such a brat sometimes though. When she sleeps she has to be touching someone and she often sleeps under the covers.

Zoey (shepherd mix possibly shiba inu) thinks she is a guard dog and barks at anyone or anything. She can be quite stubborn. She is not very fond of strangers, especially males, but will warm up to them somewhat. If we leave her at someone else's house and we are not there she is super shy. She loves to be pet and will paw at you consantly unil she gets what she wants. She is smart in funny ways. If she wants a toy that someone else has she will create a distraction and bark to make them come then go steal what she wants.

Duke (german shepherd mix) is a big clutz and goofball. He runs into things (including the screen door whic he ripped), and trips over his own paws. We haven't had him long so I don't think we have seen his whole personality. He thinks he is a guard dog like Zoey, I feel sorry for my neighbors with all the barking. He is such a baby though. If I leave he cries. We were walking yesterday and a neighbor had one of those giant spiders that you fill with leaves and he started barking at it with his hair sticking up. Then he would creep towards it and smell it, but he was still afraid lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 04:25 PM

4,713 posts, read 10,173,374 times
Jazz my 13 yr old border collie X cattle dog is fear aggressive, bossy, the queen of the dogs ,was high non stop energy when she was young so she could be a royal pain in the a--. I know my life would have been much easier without her as her issues complicated everything but the truth be known I would not change a moment of it. She taught me so many things that everyone should know to understand dogs and underneath the hard cover she is 100% love bug.She and I have a connection where I think we know what the other is thinking.I would do it all over again even knowing what I know now.

Dazzle is my goof ball. He is smart but loves to have a good time. In that sense he is very much like Dash . Dash made me laugh alot and I know Dazzle is stepping up to fill that void. He has only been with me about 6 months so he is still a dog I am learning alot about.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:35 PM

6,196 posts, read 4,912,622 times
what great stories and so many personalities! My two Aussies are litter mates, but they are completely different. Mine is very protective and most proactive dog but the brother is quiet, content to sleep all day and thinks every human is there to pay attention to him and only him. Mine pushes me around to what ever he thinks he wants and if I ignore him he will strip my bed and lay on the covers in the hall. Yes he knows how to open the doors because I was foolish enough to teach him. His brother doesn't like anyone to splash in the pool and will dive in to rescue them, drags them to the edge and gets really upset if they do not cooperate with him. They both are sticklers to a schedule and insist that I feed the horses at the same time every day by throwing fits until I do as I am told and it goes on and on. I too could go on and on but then I am only the house keepers to the dogs that live here.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,516,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Felina View Post
For starters, my pup puffs his chest out and tries to stare me down when he doesn't feel he needs to comply with a command. Sorry, I meant request, not command. We've had staring contests that've lasted nearly twenty minutes (when he was younger).

His new thing is when I let him out in the backyard he barks until the neighborhood dogs start barking then he rushes inside. If I tell him "quiet" he turns around, trots right up to me and barks once in my face. He always has to have the last word. I get no respect!!!

He thinks the time to get "manly" is when we walk by a neighbors house who has two very large aggressive dogs. He struts right up to them (if I'd let him, that is) and do his little evil-eye stare-down. Nothing intimidates or scares him. Pretty funny sometimes to watch him "protect" me.

Like another poster said, his main enjoyment is rushing to eat the cat's doodoo before I can stop him. He thinks it's funny. But he is a kind soul, gentle and it's a blessing to share his life.
Oh... my two love kitty kaka's too!! Drives me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!! I usually yell... 'get away from the chit snacks! You've had enough already!!!'

Seriously, if anyone needs any reason why you should never let a dog lick your face, just watch mine go dive bombing into the litter box and getting a prize!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!!! SO GROSS!!!! Kaka breath! ewwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:36 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,270,917 times
I sooooo agree, CM! I tell people 'don't let him do that [lick your face]!!!' but they think it's terribly cute. I swear I can see him wink at me when he does it. Bad puppy!!!!

While on the subject, I've seen my pup literally do a flying leap into a horse pile, and roll in it. Worst-ever incident, was in Idaho and he discovered wild turkey dressing as I call it. Gawd awful, unforgettable stench~~~~

Old 10-14-2009, 01:02 PM

1,808 posts, read 5,867,374 times
Tonka is a 10 (?) year old beagle/coonhound mix. We adopted him from a beagle rescue when he was approximately 2 years old.

I love my Tonka. He is the best nurse, psychologist, and cuddler! He's also a great hiking partner, and over the years we've logged hundreds of miles. He can scurry up steep mountain trails with the greatest of ease!

Is he the most intelligent dog out there? Nope, not even close! There are times when I just smack my head at some of the things he does. He has gross habits (can you say goose poop?), lacks social etiquette (he likes to lay on his back when we have company), and often can be found staring blankly at a wall. He also has a bit of a Napolean complex and will bay right in the face of any bigger dog around. Sometimes his bays remind me of a freight train whistle.

Yet, somehow I find these traits endearing... he just looks at me with his big brown eyes, and his long droopy ears, and all of my cares just seem to melt away. I wouldn't trade him for the world!

Old 10-14-2009, 04:12 PM

29,990 posts, read 16,586,324 times
Casper, my maltese, used to love DEER POOP. I guess they looked like great big raisins! When he was a puppy, we took him out to a big field to let him run. Well . . the only thing he wanted to do was search out and eat all deer poop. I was so disappointed in him! I had visions of him frolicking in a big field with the sun shining. You know. To top it off, he promptly threw up on me on the way home. Talk about GROSS. But other than that one major incident - he was quite the gentleman! Oh, and he had a stuffed bunny that he liked. A lot. That's all I'm going to say about that.

RIP my little buddy!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:07 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,367,647 times

Bandit is extraordinarily tolerant, gentle, good-natured, and well-behaved. I tell people that he came out of the womb an old man: well-adjusted, relaxed, calm, agreeable. He makes my job as his mama very easy. Gives me some back talk every once in a while, but still does what I tell him to do -- which means I don't really mind the back-talk.

He doesn't have a lot of "personality." There's nothing particulary "precious" or "charming" or "unique" about him. He likes people and other dogs, but he doesn't necessarily LIKE them (as in giddy, full-on, tail-wagging assault). I don't know if he's lazy by nature, or if he's just adapted to my own low energy, but either way...he's a layabout. He's not super playful, but he still cracks me up every once in a while, especially when he woo-woos.

I tend to describe him as "confident." He's definitely not submissive. I think he might be dominant -- but not aggressive. Even though he can be dominant, he doesn't feel this contstant need to be top-dog or be in the middle of everything. If he steps on another dog's toes (at the park, for instance), he's quick to offer appeasement licks, which I always translate as "I'm okay! You're okay! We're okay!" But if another dog targets him unfairly, he absolutely will give that other dog what-for. He won't stand for being bullied.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,270,917 times
Niftybergin...a true alpha doesn't make a lot of noise, because they don't have to. That's what your Bandit sounds like to me.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:52 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,408,296 times
Honestly, when my PC farts, it brings tears to your eyes. Sometimes it's so bad that he even gets up to move to another room while the smell dissipates.

When he wants something I have, he doesn't whine or jump, but puts his gigantic head in my lap until I give in (and I almost always do!). He knows how to work me.

He's the biggest love bug and a total mama's boy. He follows me around all day long and I call him my velcro dog. I haven't gone to the bathroom without him since the day he came home. He even jumps into the shower with me and sits at the end of the tub and waits for me to finish.

He gets the zoomies every day, where he just takes off running at an amazing speed for this breed, knocking down anything and anyone in his way. He's been known to outrun Bostons and Pitties at the dog park while chasing balls. Shortly after, he sleeps for 3 hours while snoring louder than any man I know and of course, farting in his sleep. He also belches really loudly right after a meal, with no shame.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm in love with a short, stubby man that farts, belches, and snores and I wouldn't have it any other way! :-)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or