Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 02:03 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to get into a heated debate here, Katie1, but I think probably the dogs were trying to tell her they were unhappy...if they were raised on a farm and had freedom to bark & run and then were suddenly forced into city life, it makes sense to me they'd bark in protest. I'm sure she didn't want to give them up, but maybe it wasn't fair for her to expect them to acclimate to such a drastic change in lifestyle, and a home more similar to the one they were raised in would have been a better choice...JMO.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Tried that! Several friends that still lived in country took them & both she & the dogs were miserable. After it was done nothing changed the dogs still barked they just Didnt disturb the neighbors.
I am really surprized that with incress population, people living on top of each other that more dogs havent had to have this done.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
I simply don't buy it that the "only other option" is to put the dog to sleep...what about finding it a new home? Or hiring a good trainer? I'm disturbed that this is more common than I'd realized, this is the first I've ever heard of anything like this!
Your comment isn't reality though. Reality is that pets get put down because they don't match the new color scheme in the living room or dropped off on the side of the road because the owner doesn't care enough to get necessary medical work done.

I agree it is probably done more than necessary but there are times that it is that or the dog goes into a shelter, on the streets or is put down. That is the reality. And with that in mind I see the need for things like declawing and debarking. I don't agree with them and can't imagine a time when I would need them but I do see the need for them.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:15 AM

Life & Reality sucks. I live in an apt I was given no choice as to size of dog I wanted. I was given no choice as to weather to Spay. AND IF they ever decide my dog needs to be Debarked then I would do that too! I know the people that have cats have no choice they Must be Declawed! Yes I have seen people get rid of animals cause they dont match this yrs color of furniture!!

Old 10-14-2009, 09:20 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I am really surprized that with incress population, people living on top of each other that more dogs havent had to have this done.
I live in a major city, and most of my neighbors have dogs. I never hear barking, because people here train and control their dogs. My dog rarely barks, except to initiate play, but if he does in the rare instance, we immediately stop him from doing it so that he does not disturb the neighbors.

We have all sorts of dogs in the neighborhoods, the yappy little ones that are usually known for barking, collies, lots of bulldogs, pitbulls, labs, etc. Not one of them barks incessantly. I do not believe that a dog is untrainable. It's an owner/trainer issue and I would seek another trainer if such a simple issue could not be resolved before I took away my dog's only way of communicating.

Dogs don't just bark for any reason. They are either bored, scared, hurt, etc. Debarking them is a horrible punishment and the lazy way out. I believe vets that agree to this procedure should lose their medical license.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:22 AM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,380 times
Poor dog! Someone should cut out the owners vocal cords. I will sign the petition.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 AM

This article may help most of you understand what debarking is about & why. BTW they word Debark in its self is miss leading. Dogs Can still bark after surgery!! The bark is just not as loud.

NAIA: Debarking* (Bark Softening) - Myths and Facts

Old 10-14-2009, 11:11 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,920,046 times
People are so quick to judge. Maybe someone that had a dog out in the country and the dog was used to running and barking without any issues at all. Then all of a sudden this person for whatever reason has to move, maybe they lost everything, but lets say they have to find someplace smaller like an apartment. The dog is home alone barks and the neighbors complain. So they get rid of the dog. OMG! They got rid of the dog just because they couldn't control the dog or just to lazy or whatever, but how can someone just get rid of their dog.

But, lets say that they decide to debark the dog so the neighbors are happy and the owner gets to keep the dog and the dog gets to stay with it's owner. The dog can still bark just not loud enough to annoy the neighbors. OMG! How dare they do that to that poor dog, must be irresponsible lazy owners.

Sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. But it seems no matter what choice you make there is always going to be someone there to point their finger.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Thank you Dogpaw!!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:05 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
The surgery doesn't take away the motivation to bark nor does it address underlying behavioral issues. So now, you have a dog that still "barks" but it's no longer annoying to the owner, so the barks are ignored. So this dog that barked because of boredom, fear, pain, etc. will now be even more stressed because his "barks" are ignored and will find other bad habits to relieve that stress (like chewing things in the house, digging holes, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs