Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,401,981 times

Advertisements

Go with the leather and train the dogs to stay off the couch....get them a nice soft dog bed to go in the family room (or wherever). They will be fine (speaking as the "mom" of a 60lb dog myself)....new house and furniture is the perfect time to do this so take advantage!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,466,189 times
I vote for leather too. I have a Westie that sheds and digs. So either everything was covered with white hair OR muddy paw prints were everywhere. We have a cream color leather couch and chair --everything wipes right up. (Except for that silver permanent color SHARPIE that my son left uncapped)! But even that was between the seat cushions and can't be seen by others. I love leather! I plan on chaning my lving room furniture too. It is kinda cold in the winter - when you first sit down.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,839,661 times
Leather!

It's like a hardwood floor is to carpet when it comes to animal hair and dirt----just floats off or wipes off.

People who say that their leather is all scratched up didn't buy good quality leather.

You can scratch and dig your nails into the samples at the furniture store to see if leather is good quality for dog owning.

If you can't afford good quality leather, buy a distressed leather and your furniture will always look good.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:28 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,987,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Leather!

It's like a hardwood floor is to carpet when it comes to animal hair and dirt----just floats off or wipes off.

People who say that their leather is all scratched up didn't buy good quality leather.

You can scratch and dig your nails into the samples at the furniture store to see if leather is good quality for dog owning.

If you can't afford good quality leather, buy a distressed leather and your furniture will always look good.
BRILLIANT........ what a great idea!!!!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:50 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,481,033 times
Thanks for this thread! DH and I have been wondering the same thing. He is dying for leather but I was worried about Tonka's nails... maybe distressed leather is the way to go for us too.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,160,862 times
Leather, leather, leather!!!!!

My couch & loveseat are leather, but I have one fabric chair (dark blue) the dogs (blond) love and I will probably spend a small fortune on Scotch Fur Fighters, since my vacuum can't do the job.

P.S. It helps to have their nails filed or sanded after clipping for being on the furniture & you.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:18 AM

3,738 posts, read 12,375,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Leather, leather, leather!!!!!

My couch & loveseat are leather, but I have one fabric chair (dark blue) the dogs (blond) love and I will probably spend a small fortune on Scotch Fur Fighters, since my vacuum can't do the job.

P.S. It helps to have their nails filed or sanded after clipping for being on the furniture & you.
Couldn't agree more...leather ...leather ....LEATHER. We have 4 retrievers and used to have a microfiber sectional & chair set. Although our fur-kids are not allowed on the furniture, that didn't mean that their fur stayed on the floor I can't tell you the amount of time I'd spend each week vacuuming the top and sides to just keep it under control(especially when they were blowing coat). We got leather last year and now wonder why we didn't do it sooner. The furniture always looks good now and clean up is sooooo easy!

Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CObound View Post
Hey all. My husband and I just bought our first house and are looking to buy furniture for the living room. We have 2 dogs (about 50 pounds each) that like to get up on the sofa with us so we're wondering what kind of material would be most dog-resistant.
Poured concrete.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:10 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,642,820 times
The best is leather. Having gone thru toooo many couches and having 6 rescue dogs, I am an expert! I just throw a huge king size fleece blanket over the whole couch and now I just tuck a super soft big blanket throw into the back of the seat cushions.
My dogs do not chew!
For dogs that chew, maybe one should beware of leather.
I do not like any other material as it gets a doggie smell after a while. You really cannot clean it 100 percent either.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,404,380 times
The absolute BEST sofa material for a home that has dogs is ... concrete!

It may not be very comfortable to sit on, but it is dog-proof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs