U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 05:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 3,992,074 times

Advertisements

Aren't dogs lactose intolerant? If they consume too much dairy, it causes indigestion and stomach pain (like humans that are lactose intolerant).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 05:45 PM

5,027 posts, read 12,308,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
Aren't dogs lactose intolerant? If they consume too much dairy, it causes indigestion and stomach pain (like humans that are lactose intolerant).
Cheese and yogurt, unlike milk, have the lactose removed or have it partially broken down through bacterial action. As a result, these products are often well tolerated by dogs that would otherwise get diarrhea after drinking milk. Unpasteurized is best, since the lactose content remains unchanged in pasteurized products.

Kind of like being told it's ok for your 8 month old baby to have yogurt, but not milk until they are one.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 PM

605 posts, read 2,329,000 times
Carrots give my puppy really bad gas. Really bad. Any and all veggies I've fed him do. But he loves them.

I have not noticed any poop problems giving cheese. I don't give him lots of cheese, just a bit so there is a variety.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:18 PM

15,333 posts, read 23,181,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
PC has quite the distinguished palate when it comes to cheese. His current favorite is raw milk gorgonzola, though he loves drunken goat and gouda just as much. Unlike swiss or cheddar, he has a threshold for the blue, since it's so pungent, and actually walks away when he's had enough. With cheddar, he'd just eat and eat until I stopped him. Other than the awful farts (though I doubt it's the cheese and more likely a Bulldog thing), he hasn't pudged up (well, not more than he usually does!) and seems fine otherwise. Cheese is good. Let Artie enjoy it!
Oh good! I'm so glad to hear that!

I'm sure if I shared any of the "good stuff" with Artie, he'd gladly partake. But then I'd have to hide in a closet when I'm eating it, so I won't even introduce him to the REALLY good cheeses. We always have smoked gouda and this great stuff called Dubliner in the house, but I tell Artie that it's for me; that it's my medicine. As if he understands...

PS. Virtual reps to you since I couldn't give you real reps.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:32 PM

5,027 posts, read 12,308,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

PS. Virtual reps to you since I couldn't give you real reps.
Just go to the pet pictures thread and star repping the cute doggies! You'll hit 25 in no time!!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Just go to the pet pictures thread and star repping the cute doggies! You'll hit 25 in no time!!
What a smart cookie you are!

Old 10-20-2009, 12:55 PM

7,918 posts, read 5,148,419 times
How much cheese is too much cheese ?
Same holds true for the lactose intolerants.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:33 PM

2,407 posts, read 4,844,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Yeah, the fat and calcium intake (as well as the sodium) is what I was concerned about. I will ask my vet, though, for a quantifiable amount. Artie's hooked on extra sharp cheddar cheese -- he's got good taste.

Artie USED to like carrots. He's off them now. Finicky monster. And telling him that it's crunchy cheese? HA! He's a genius when it comes to food. I can't tell him nuttin'. (Did I just say "nut"? As in peaNUT butter? Artie likes that! )

ETA: I'd rep you but... GRRRRRR! ... I can't right yet.

Wouldn't anyone who loves cheese take it over PB... Smart Artie...
I bet if you dipped his carrots in peanut butter he would go ape...

For our dogs birthdays...I make yellow cupcakes & for the frosting I smear a good hunk of peanut butter on the cupcake with a nubby carrot as the candle.

THEY WUV THAT !!!

Of course we sing happy birthday to them several times, too.
See...were all a little nuts

Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
How much cheese is too much cheese ?
Same holds true for the lactose intolerants.
I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Wouldn't anyone who loves cheese take it over PB... Smart Artie...
I bet if you dipped his carrots in peanut butter he would go ape...

For our dogs birthdays...I make yellow cupcakes & for the frosting I smear a good hunk of peanut butter on the cupcake with a nubby carrot as the candle.

THEY WUV THAT !!!

Of course we sing happy birthday to them several times, too.
See...were all a little nuts
HAHAHAHA! I love it!!!! Those cupcakes sound delish! And you should videotape you singing to them -- that would be fun to watch.

Yeah, anything dipped in peanut butter is a treat. But if it's something that he's not interested in (such as a carrot -- that was sooooo last month, according to Artie), he'll just lick off the PB and get on with his day. Talk about your smarty-pants.

Now, if I dipped a chunk of cheese in some peanut butter, he'd go nutty nutty koo koo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs