U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,613,193 times

Advertisements

There are some things to consider. The larger planes can take a larger soft Sherpa bag. Perhaps United's economy plus. The regional jets--no. I know some think boarding is the best, but for my dog that is way too stressful. He doesn't mind flying under the seat at all--nor the airport stuff. It depends on what the dog is like and the type of plane. So I wouldn't dismiss in-cabin travel as an option but you need to research the planes you would be traveling on and maybe do some rerouting to get the larger plane. 20 lbs. is pushing it a bit but not out of the question.

some info Petfinder names the top 5 most pet-friendly airlines of 2009 (http://www.petfinder.com/blog/2009/05/14/petfinder-names-the-top-5-most/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 09:56 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay first off please dont ever fly with your pet at all if it can be done in a car or moving truck like penske or some other truck company . The reason I say this is because my mother and I flew some time ago and we are now involved in a lawsuit with the airline . My mother and I had put both dogs , one cairn terrier , one husky in their own crates . when the dogs arrived at the airport they were both in one crate and covered in feces and vomit . Several days after getting home we noticed that both the dogs had developed coughs and were lethargic . My mother and I both took our dogs to the vet and tests confirmed that somehow they had ingested some sort of jet fuel and they both had to be put down cause they had pneumonia and upper respitory problems . We were livid and saddened and we are also in a lawsuit with the airlines since the airline refuses to take responsibilty for this incident .
omg!!!! how horrifying and sad ...... good luck and i hope you prevail.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,766,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay first off please dont ever fly with your pet at all if it can be done in a car or moving truck like penske or some other truck company . The reason I say this is because my mother and I flew some time ago and we are now involved in a lawsuit with the airline . My mother and I had put both dogs , one cairn terrier , one husky in their own crates . when the dogs arrived at the airport they were both in one crate and covered in feces and vomit . Several days after getting home we noticed that both the dogs had developed coughs and were lethargic . My mother and I both took our dogs to the vet and tests confirmed that somehow they had ingested some sort of jet fuel and they both had to be put down cause they had pneumonia and upper respitory problems . We were livid and saddened and we are also in a lawsuit with the airlines since the airline refuses to take responsibilty for this incident .
How horrific! I am so sorry both You and your Mom.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:08 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,257,155 times
I would never consider sending my dog cargo if I were to fly. The only way I'd fly with him, is if I could take him in the cabin with me. As for him being too large for a crate, I don't think that's going to be a problem. He's a fairly small dog for what he weighs. But, I guess I'll have to find out when we go crate searching.

As for leaving him home and hiring someone to care for him, I don't know if I can stomach that. He HATES strangers. He must've been abused before I rescued him, and leaving him home all day and having a stranger come into our house I think would freak him out more than a few hours of him being uncomfortable. Any way I choose to travel is not going to be healthy for him, I'm just looking for the least traumatic option. I have no family around and don't trust any of my friends to take care of him. Part of the reason I made the final decision to get a dog was because my best friend is a dog lover, and has said for YEARS that if I got a dog, he'd gladly look after it while I went on trips (I love to travel), but in the past few weeks our friendship has dissolved to nothing, so I'm left with no one to care for little Beesley. He needs to come with me.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:13 PM

19,815 posts, read 55,781,243 times
YOu know your dog better than we do and I respect your decision about what you need to do. Researching the plane sounds like a good thing to do, so you don't get turned away at the airport. Good luck! and enjoy your trip.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I would never consider sending my dog cargo if I were to fly. The only way I'd fly with him, is if I could take him in the cabin with me. As for him being too large for a crate, I don't think that's going to be a problem. He's a fairly small dog for what he weighs. But, I guess I'll have to find out when we go crate searching.

As for leaving him home and hiring someone to care for him, I don't know if I can stomach that. He HATES strangers. He must've been abused before I rescued him, and leaving him home all day and having a stranger come into our house I think would freak him out more than a few hours of him being uncomfortable. Any way I choose to travel is not going to be healthy for him, I'm just looking for the least traumatic option. I have no family around and don't trust any of my friends to take care of him. Part of the reason I made the final decision to get a dog was because my best friend is a dog lover, and has said for YEARS that if I got a dog, he'd gladly look after it while I went on trips (I love to travel), but in the past few weeks our friendship has dissolved to nothing, so I'm left with no one to care for little Beesley. He needs to come with me.
I'm so sorry to hear about your friendship disolving. That's terrible.

I just wanted to tell you an interesting thing. Artie also hates strangers. "Hate" actually may be too kind a word -- he's aggressive. However, when I've, on occasion, had to leave him home for the day and had a dog-walker come in to take him out, Artie chose to be best buddies with her. In fact, she's told me that he's a lovebug with her.

However, when the three of us (Artie, me, and the dog-walker) have all been together, he barks at her and/or ignores her. It's almost like when they're alone together, Artie's all "Well, if Dawn can't be here with me, at least this one here can love me... until my real girl can get back here where she belongs."

It's quite interesting.

However, I'd never put him in a kennel or have him stay somewhere other than "his" house when I have to go away. Being in his own environment, whether with me or the dog-walker or our dog-sitter for overnights, is the best for Artie, and for every dog, if you can't take them with you.

I hope the whole plane thing works out perfectly. I really, really do. Please keep us posted. I'm nearly as stressed about this as you are, I think.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,257,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your friendship disolving. That's terrible.

I just wanted to tell you an interesting thing. Artie also hates strangers. "Hate" actually may be too kind a word -- he's aggressive. However, when I've, on occasion, had to leave him home for the day and had a dog-walker come in to take him out, Artie chose to be best buddies with her. In fact, she's told me that he's a lovebug with her.

However, when the three of us (Artie, me, and the dog-walker) have all been together, he barks at her and/or ignores her. It's almost like when they're alone together, Artie's all "Well, if Dawn can't be here with me, at least this one here can love me... until my real girl can get back here where she belongs."

It's quite interesting.

However, I'd never put him in a kennel or have him stay somewhere other than "his" house when I have to go away. Being in his own environment, whether with me or the dog-walker or our dog-sitter for overnights, is the best for Artie, and for every dog, if you can't take them with you.

I hope the whole plane thing works out perfectly. I really, really do. Please keep us posted. I'm nearly as stressed about this as you are, I think.
Yeah, the friend thing is a total bummer. We made all these plans for our dogs to be together all the time, he'd come with me to vet visits, training classes, we were even going to take our dogs on a major road trip. It all ended when he got a new girly friend and basically kicked our 5 year friendship to the curb. Oh well, so is life. Anyway, back to the topic...

Beesley has major issues with strangers, and has been known to pee himself when one comes near him (true story, with the above mentioned best friend). He hides his tail between his left and starts shaking. Even when I'm with him, he sticks himself next to my leg and won't move. I'm afraid the poor guy wouldn't do too well without his mama.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:03 PM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Yeah, the friend thing is a total bummer. We made all these plans for our dogs to be together all the time, he'd come with me to vet visits, training classes, we were even going to take our dogs on a major road trip. It all ended when he got a new girly friend and basically kicked our 5 year friendship to the curb. Oh well, so is life. Anyway, back to the topic...

Beesley has major issues with strangers, and has been known to pee himself when one comes near him (true story, with the above mentioned best friend). He hides his tail between his left and starts shaking. Even when I'm with him, he sticks himself next to my leg and won't move. I'm afraid the poor guy wouldn't do too well without his mama.

huh.... all this time, i thought you were a guy..... think i was reading MAT the banker in your screen name.....

not that it will help with THIS trip, but i'm betting that after a good length of time with you, beesley will not be so nervous of strangers..... he needs time to get used to being confident in his relationship with you and then by extension to other people..... it took my bailey a while, but she is ok with most people and is willing to be petted and scritched when we are out and about .... i hope the same for beesley.......

Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 PM

4,628 posts, read 9,252,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastee View Post
MAtheBanker...

Its pretty clear you should know exactly what to do after reading these posts. I'll summarize:

sedate the dog
don't sedate the dog
drive the dog
fly with the dog
board the dog
don't board the dog
pay someone to stay in your house

At least you have options. Good luck with whichever one you choose.
You know what 'they' say...get two people in a room and you'll get three opinions!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
huh.... all this time, i thought you were a guy..... think i was reading MAT the banker in your screen name.....

not that it will help with THIS trip, but i'm betting that after a good length of time with you, beesley will not be so nervous of strangers..... he needs time to get used to being confident in his relationship with you and then by extension to other people..... it took my bailey a while, but she is ok with most people and is willing to be petted and scritched when we are out and about .... i hope the same for beesley.......
Two things:
  1. I also thought MAtheBanker was a guy... and lived in Massachussetts. I'm 0 for 2 now.
  2. I agree -- after Beesley has spent more time with MA, the girl in Arizona (!!!!!), he'll likely be better with other people. Although Artie is a monster with others, when he's off-leash and in "his" (well, "our") house, he's much better with people he doesn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs