U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:26 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,338,736 times

Advertisements

Fox, most (but not all) of those dogs on that list have "guard-dog/watch-dog" instincts. This doesn't necessarily mean they are bad dogs or mean dogs or aggressive dogs by nature. It doesn't mean the dogs are inherently dangerous to people or other animals. But they are dogs who have a deeply bred instinct to protect home and family. It's this mindset that can lead to dog-bite incidents...mostly because people are too stupid to realize that the dog is doing the job that was bred into him, and if they'd just be cognizant of that fact and be respectful of the dog, his people, and his property, most bite situations would probably be avoided.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:03 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,697,657 times
But...a Golden??????

Old 10-22-2009, 04:11 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,338,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
But...a Golden??????
I know. It's very -worthy.

Here's the CDC report that has created so much trouble: http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreation...ogbreeds-a.pdf

Page 3 provides a breakdown of the dogs most involved in dog-bite related fatalities between 1979 and 1998 in the USA. This list includes both "pure-breeds" and "cross-breeds."

The top dogs are:
Pit Bulls
Rotties
GSDs
Husky-type dogs (and this is where my anger lies; husky is a type of dog, not a breed of dog, and the list clearly states that 2 dogs in that 20-year period were Siberian Huskies. The others could have been some other breed of husky altogether. If they'd separated out the Siberian Huskies, with their 2 DBRF over a 20-year period, they'd be no where near the top of the list.)
Malamutes
Wolf-dog hybrid
Mixed-breed mutts (but nobody ever says that mutts aren't allowed anywhere!!)
Chow-chows
Dobies
St. Bernards
Great Danes
Labrador retrievers

The stupid report even says that "because identification of a dog's breed may be subjective, DBRF may be differentially ascribed to breeds with a REPUTATION for aggression." In other words, people hear that Siberian Huskies are aggressive and get that in their minds, and so they see a dog with prick ears and a brush tail and "wolfish" markings on the face, and they say, "It was a Siberian Husky that killed my little baby!" when it could have been some other breed or type of dog entirely. Or they see a mutt and call it a "pit bull" when it could be some completely different mix.

The report also point out that in a different study, for a different time period, dogs like Doxies, Yorkshire Terriers, and Collies made the list...along with Golden Retrievers.

*sigh*

Old 10-22-2009, 06:34 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,650,224 times
thanks for that report - its admission of its own fallibility is good ammo in the never-ending bsl debate. that report is at the root of many pro bsl arguments - go figure that its conclusions are anti-bsl.

Last edited by groar; 10-22-2009 at 06:47 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,113,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
I don't know anything about pugs. Are they barky? Maybe that's why they're on the list. Or...nippy? Are they little ankle-biters?
First of all I have to admit that I'm biased. I just adore the little smooshies. That being said, I've never heard of pugs being particularly barky. And when mine do bark, it's very quiet. Especially compared to a yorkie or a sheltie for example. And I've never met an aggressive pug, nor heard of one. I'm really curious to know how they ended up on that list! I guess some things are meant to remain mysterious...

Old 11-07-2010, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,126 times
Default restricted breeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
My company announced last week that next fall, it will be relocating our office. My current 12-mile commute will turn into 28 miles. So I'm trying to make an informed decision about whether I want to stay where I currently live...or move closer to where office will be located. I'm currently living in an apartment complex. I've now been here for over 4 years, and my lease will expire next October (2010): just in time to relocate, if that's the decision I make.

I come equipped with a dog, so obviously my decision hinges largely on him and his needs and his well-being, etc.

I called a couple of the complexes down in the general area of my new office location and was told that they don't accept Siberian Huskies. They are a restricted breed.

*sigh*

I know I'm barking to the choir here. You guys know. But I'm just so frustrated and annoyed. Stupid, ignorant, blind list [of restricted breeds].
How do I get a list of restricted breeds?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:28 AM

18,856 posts, read 31,539,921 times
I am surprised the Chiuauahas are not on that list...I hate those little dogs. I suppose they don't bite anyone, they just bark, growl, and shake.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:33 AM

553 posts, read 1,101,090 times
I think these breed restriction lists are an excuse to discriminate against large breed dogs. Seems like all the dogs on the list are large breeds. Some of the little yapper are worse than the big dogs.

We had issues when we moved to NC with our GSD/Lab. He looks like a GSD, but his personality is all Lab. He has his CGC and did therapy work through the SPCA. I even had a letter from his daycare stating how sweet he is.

We used this site. Apartment Rental and Hotel Directory accepting Dogs, Cats and Other Pets to find places that would accept large dogs. Some still restrict, but at least it's a start.

Good luck. Siberians are awesome pups!

Old 11-07-2010, 11:30 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,029,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelyn jw10 View Post
How do I get a list of restricted breeds?
It depends why you are looking. If you are considering moving look up info for the state/municipality if they have "banned breeds". If it is for insurance, suggest contacting your insurance company or the ones you are considering. If you are a renter check this out with your prospective landlords.

My English Springer is on the restrictive breeds list. I have no intention of telling my insurance agent about him. However, we are in puppy obedience classes currently and I plan to help him get his CGC certificate just to counter any unforseen potential problems in the future. I hate that insurance compnies what to backdoor legislate our lives.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 AM

9,350 posts, read 16,731,254 times
i have state farm for my house and car..... they know i have dogs, but could not care less what breeds they are.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or