U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:16 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,529,767 times

Advertisements

We have a Beagle and a Beagle/Lab/? mix. About 5 years ago new neighbors moved in next door. They had placed a red, plastic gas can next to their garage on the side facing our backyard. The next time our "girls" went outside they stood at the fence barking and howling in the direction of the neighbors garage. I went outside to see what the commotion was about expecting to see a small mammal or bird on the ground by the garage. Nothing appeared unusual to me! It took a moment before I realized what the subject of their attention was and got them to settle down, assuring them the gas can meant them no harm. Dogs are funny people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM

25,953 posts, read 26,680,227 times
One of my dogs was the same way. If I bought something new like a plant or a pot or something, she would stand in the living room and bark at it. For me it brought comfort knowing if someone wasn't suppose to be there she'd let me know. But I thought it was the darndest thing someone else mentioned this phenomenon.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:54 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j'aimedesvilles View Post
dogs are funny people!
best line ever!!!!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:16 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,079,498 times
We're selling our house and Charlie (my german shepherd mix) won't go in the house after we have a showing...I guess he smells the people and thinks they're still inside! He sits at the sidewalk with his hackles raised and howles! He's such a good watchdog...although he also "protects" us against mailmen, pizza deliveries, neighbors mowing their lawn, neighbors doing work on their houses etc.

...we're working on it

Old 10-29-2009, 08:48 PM

4,127 posts, read 13,266,252 times
This doesnt have to do w/ vision but one of mine used to get real nervous if I'd bake something - I dindt make the connection til later - once or twice the smoke alarm went off and she would hide and shake in fear it would happen again - the first time we coudlnt find her, she was under the table and looked miserable - not sure if my cooking has improved or she's just gotten used to it but she's a bit more relaxed now, still not thrilled but isnt the way she had been (it still goes off on occasion). We know not to reassure her b/c it just reinforces it and makes it worse but there was a while there I was very concerned ;-0

Old 10-29-2009, 09:18 PM

691 posts, read 2,070,494 times
He is still a baby dog, learning about things, and adapting to your home. Give him some time.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:32 PM

142 posts, read 504,595 times
Glad my dog is not the only one Today was garbage day and a blue plastic bag flew into the yard. He was barking like crazy at it. I brought it to him to sniff it and he peed he was so afraid lol poor baby,

Old 10-30-2009, 08:06 AM

43,012 posts, read 92,013,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
We're selling our house and Charlie (my german shepherd mix) won't go in the house after we have a showing...I guess he smells the people and thinks they're still inside! He sits at the sidewalk with his hackles raised and howles! He's such a good watchdog...although he also "protects" us against mailmen, pizza deliveries, neighbors mowing their lawn, neighbors doing work on their houses etc.

...we're working on it
Funny. That reminds me---my labrador won't go into other people's houses! It's so disappointing to take him along for a visit and then he won't budge to go inside. It's the strangest thing I have ever seen. It doesn't matter how well he knows the people. It doesn't matter if they have pets or not. My dog just does not like to go into other people's houses. And he's not a rescue dog. It's not like he was abused or abandoned. He has been with us his entire life. In so many ways, he's a big wimp.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:23 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,079,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Funny. That reminds me---my labrador won't go into other people's houses! It's so disappointing to take him along for a visit and then he won't budge to go inside. It's the strangest thing I have ever seen. It doesn't matter how well he knows the people. It doesn't matter if they have pets or not. My dog just does not like to go into other people's houses. And he's not a rescue dog. It's not like he was abused or abandoned. He has been with us his entire life. In so many ways, he's a big wimp.
Awww...will he go inside other places with you? Like Petsmart? Will he let you bribe him with treats? With Charlie I just have to leash him and guide him in quickly. Charlie is very sensitive in general though; sometimes he'll hear a noise on a walk and get spooked. There's this white work-type van always parked in front of my neighbor's house and he can't be anywhere near it. I've tried ignoring his pulling and whining, crossing the street to find a comfortable distance for him etc., but he is convinced that van is bad news. Maybe he knows something I don't

Also if there's thunder or fireworks involved, forget it. He climbs in the tub and waits it out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs