Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:30 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,298 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard anything yet about Sugar. I emailed them to thank them for coming over and reiterated how much we loved her. But the foster never emailed me back. So I kinda wonder. What do rescues look for? We are a lively homebody family who has the resources and commitment to finally get a dog. I'm not sure what they are looking for, but I don't think we are getting her. But I'm still holding out hope.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:49 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
We lost out on a few dogs we saw online from rescues before finding our Luna. It's sort of annoying but in the end we got the most awesome dog.

So, hang in there and keep checking out dogs. You will be united with the pooch your family is destined to have.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:51 PM

519 posts, read 1,377,368 times
I have no idea what they look for but I am still keeping my fingers crossed for ya...
Maybe the foster has just been really busy.. Hoping for ya..
You sound like you are gonna be a really good pet parent. I would keep trying.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:02 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Depending on how big and busy the rescue is, it could take a week for them to get back to you. Dont' worry just yet.

I'd send an e-mail thanking them for coming out and saying it was nice to meet them. That you hope it went well, as you were really looking forward to making Sugar a part of your family.

With me, I've never failed anyone from adopting based on a home check. I base a majority of my decision on the vet reference and I won't do a home check unless they've passed that.

Step one - pass the application. If you've got a long list of pets that died early for different reasons or can't account for a pet's vetting in the last few years, I probably will send you a 'sorry, but you don't meet criteria e-mail'. Now, if I do that and get an e-mail back with a good explanation I may go forward if it's a small thing.

Step two - vet reference. I'd say about 80% of my decision is based on this. A vet tech or vet office person is the best clue I can get on a person looking to adopt. If they know off the top of their head without even having to pull a file who that person is (in a good way), you're almost guaranteed to be approved.

Step three - home check. I bring the pet with me. I want to see that you live in a comfy home and won't be flipping out because the dog is still being housebroken and tinkles on your brand new bright white carpet. I don't want to see filth, obviously, but I also don't want top of the line everything and museum quality antiques. Those setting usually aren't the best for a pet. They need a comfy family home. I also want to see you and your family interact with the pet and how any existing pets you have interact. I want to know this is something you've thought of; that you've got a dog bed in place, that there is a kennel somewhere waiting. A fenced yard is a big bonus unless it's a place you're planning on the dog living. I don't adopt out pets to someone that wants to just leave them in a back yard. They should be part of the family. The only exception might be a true working dog, like a GP raised and trained to guard livestock. Even then, I'd expect to see a barn set up with a comfy place for the dog to sleep at night and to keep it from extreme summer heat.

Keep in mind, rescues lose money like nothing you've ever seen. You either need to have money going into rescue or you need a job that can support it. I'm in the second category. I work 2 hours away from home and I'm required by contract to spend a minimum of 10 hours a day in teh office, 5 days a week. And it usually winds up being more like 12 to 14 hours. So I'm trying to do my job well enough to not get canned so I can afford to continue to rescue. That means I've got to sneak every bit of my personal life in there somewhere. Can't do it at home; I get up before the sun and home in time for bed. So on my lunch hour I have to weed through applications, make vet reference calls, call the applicants. And I've got a personal life too. My husband is retired / disabled and spends a ton of time in various doctor's offices, so I'm always on the phone for things like insurance and medications for him. And I've got 2 teen girls that have busy after school activities that I have to stay on top of.

Basically, people in rescue are so busy. We have to juggle even more than most people do. It takes time to get back in touch with applicants. Some rescues aren't so good at it. I try very hard to approve / deny in 48 hours. If I can't I at least stay in touch and let them know where in the process we stand and what I'm waiting for. I've had to sit around and wait on answers for things. I know what that's like and I try very hard to make it as stressless as possible.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:52 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I'm sure the posters who all say that rescues are very very busy are right, and your home (and courteous responses- like an RSVP!) sounds excellent. I think a follow-up note is a good idea.
Thanks to all who adopt and those who work in rescue and placement.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Our inspection was done by an area manager, not the foster. I know she also called our vet and personal references and talked to neighbors about how responsible we were with our existing dog.

The home check done on my home involved looking inside every crevice of my home. She looked in my closets, my drawers, my attic, my basement, my detached garage, the attic of my detached garage, etc. It was clear she wanted to make sure that we weren't hording animals or something.

I know she was interested in the temperment of our existing dog to be certain they would get along too. She also wanted to be certain all family members were excited and interested in adopting a rescue dog. She spent a lot of time talking to all of us about everything in general. It was clear that our strong relationship with our current pet, how well trained he was and such were a bonus for us. Our knowledge about training and dogs in general was very important.

Since we didn't have a fenced in yard, we had to sign a contract stating that he would never be outside without a leash or unattended. When you adopt a foster, the rescue group retains ownership for the dog's entire life. At least that's how the rescue we used works. We are bound to the contract for our dog's entire life. We are not permitted to give him away to anyone (not that we would want to, we love him).

We didn't meet our dog until the day he was delivered to us from another state. Thankfully, the area manager is very good at what she does---she gave us a dog that was a perfect match to our family, our home, and our existing pet. He walked in the door and it was like he had been here his entire life.

I understand the foster became very attached to our dog and almost didn't hand him over to the rescue for delivery. Be forwarned, that can happen. It almost happened to us.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:11 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,807,520 times
Wow...the drawers? You can adopt a child easier!
We were rejected by a rescue. No one even came to meet us. One question on their very lengthy application was would we fence the yard for the dog. I said NO (the dog was a papillion). I think that was the problem. We ended up with the best dog we could have hoped for.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
I have no idea why she opened drawers. I think she was just testing us to make sure that we weren't hiding anything. Maybe she was testing our temperment---how willing we were to surrender ourselves to the rules and standards of a rescue. Who knows. Maybe she was looking for drugs or evidence of dog fighting. It wasn't every drawer. Just randomly opened one here or there. That was the weirdest part of the home inspection, but we passed with flying colors!

Old 10-24-2009, 04:39 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,162,103 times
I understand making an effort to ensure that a rescued dog is going to be a good match for the family, and that it will be well taken care of, but these home visits sound extremely intrusive. I know this is an old topic, but judging by some of these comments its just obvious that many of these groups go way overboard. Probably keeps a lot of perfectly good, caring folks from adopting. And there are so many pets that need good homes.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:40 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,045,353 times
Hi Sandy, I know when I lived in Summit County CO and adopted my dog Sasha Anne I didn't realize that when she and I bonded that I wouldn't be able to take her home with me. Evidently since it was resort area a lot of people would adopt then not follow though and then turn the dog (or cat) back in etc. I was heartbroken when they told me, after I held her in my arms and I was ready to take her home, that I would have to fill out an application, get references checked etc. It did take about a week and they did check references and I ended up being able to adopt her. They didn't do a home visit though and this was just a local animal shelter, but they were very careful to make sure she was going to a good and stable home.

Anyway, it can take some time and sounds like you'll provide a perfect home to Sugar so maybe do as another poster suggested and send a follow up note or call. God knows I hounded the people at the shelter a lot to see if they were finished 'checking me out' lol so I could pick up my baby girl. Best of luck because you sound like you'll be a great mom and rescue animals are in such need of good homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.