U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:49 AM

622 posts, read 1,416,901 times

Advertisements

trying to cook for a dog unless your trained is a bad idea. lot of foods people eat are bad for dogs.

Raw food is the best in most, but not all cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 07:10 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,761,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambarstone View Post
Hi,
Does anyone has an opinion on cooking for one's pup? have been doing that. White rice with chicken (either gizzards or breast) with some carrots (she loves the chickent). I am looking to experiment and include some oats with the rice. I would give her brown rice but it is too expensive. I mixed this with dry dog food (Iams) but she didn't like the dry food so I've switched to California Natural which seems to be better. Due to my lack of experience however, I switched abruptly and now I am getting this very difficult to pick splattered poop. Also, my dog just went bananas for Honey Nuts Cheerios...seems like a good reward for training since she liked it so much.
Hopefully, you've done your homework...You would need to add the vitamins and nutrients a dog needs to stay healthy. Straight cooked human food is not sufficient.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:43 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,372,542 times
An interesting article...

(a) major breakdown-causing aspect of commercial dry diets is their inclusion of ingredients that contain saponins and phaseolins. They are poisons and can be fatal. Ingredients that contain saponins are: beet pulp, sorghum, soybeans, potatoes, alfalfa, tomato pomace, peas, beans, oats, garlic, and yucca.
http://therobertabadydogfoodcoltd.com/how_to_choose.htm

I can't vouch for the accuracy or objectivity of it, as they are touting their own brand of dog food, but it's good to research further, if one is interested.
I never knew that about beets, potatoes, beans and oats. Soybeans are nothing but a cheap filler, be it animal food or human food, not healthful to anyone.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:50 PM

379 posts, read 740,527 times
I feed my puppy Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul and highly recommend it. It was recommended by my puppy's breeder. He has had nothing but this food since he was old enough to eat dry food and he is very healthy.

Last edited by jkratze1; 11-13-2009 at 09:33 PM..

Old 11-13-2009, 09:09 PM

622 posts, read 1,416,901 times
The problem with brands like that though is they are humanized, anthromorphism at work.

EVO is really good. We fed it for awhile to moms 13 year old lab mix, looked 3! Sadly mom didnt like buying it so the dog went to lower fare,

Wolves do not eat dry and although domestication has changed temperment..intellgence,appearance and behavior towards people diet isn't really all that different unless the breed is so ratically different like oh say a pug, or a little fancy powder puff. Then safety has to taken into consitteration.

If you are going to feed dogs dry food they MUST have extra water AND raw meaty bones to clean teeth .

Old 11-14-2009, 06:28 AM

29,720 posts, read 16,469,939 times
I feed mine Taste of the Wild Bison flavor. My Westie has skin allergies so I have to be careful. When we first brought our new puppy home; she came with a bag of Purina Puppy Chow. So, of course, Ringo had to have that and his skin allergies flared up like crazy.

The puppy eventually tasted Ringo's food and she won't eat the puppy chow now - she only wants the TOTW.

So I've switched them both to that with a very light sprinkling of Purina on top to spark Ringo's taste buds. I put a little fish oil on their dry food and mix it up.

For Ringo (not the puppy yet) - if I am cooking chicken, I will mix up a little boiled chicken in with his food on occasion. I know - my bad - but he LOVES it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or