U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,853,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Here's how to crate train a dog: Crate Training | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html - broken link)

You can't just get a crate, put the dog in and close the door.
I assume that crate-training advice is a guide rather than a manual.
There is no possible way that I would ever consider feeding my dog inside his crate.
Good advice from Honeycrisp. I especially agree about the exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 AM

4,541 posts, read 13,093,383 times
Not all dogs are crate trainable.

Kira wants to be with you all the time because you are their owner and she's so grateful to have someone who cares about her. I can't imagine how awful it would be living outside in a backyard for 2 years in Florida's heat.

Because she loves you, she wants to please you. She would love nothing more than for you to spend time with her learning how to train her.

Cook some hotdogs and cut them up into little pieces for rewards. You can keep them in the freezer so they don't spoil. Get a clicker.

There's a great site online that tells you how to clicker train. It's fun!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:32 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,459,029 times
ABSOLUTELY feed your dog in the crate - that way it becomes his/her 'den' and home. That's one of the BEST ways to get your dog to love the crate. That and hiding treats among the bedding!

Old 11-05-2009, 07:47 AM

10,091 posts, read 36,761,761 times
I agree with ViralMD....The crate is by no means a punishment. A crate can be a valuable asset...If your in Fl., hurricanes are part of your life. Having her crate trained could someday save her life should a hurricane hit.
Dylan loves his crate and often I find him snoozing in...It's quiet, and it's "den" like which dogs love.
Like I said, it you were able to get her in...then she is not completely opposed to it...making is a fun and rewarding experienceor her and she too will enter willingly.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:32 PM

13,294 posts, read 25,463,471 times
Dog trainers at Best Friends suggested my feeding feral Eloise in her crate to make it a positive place. I started with her dish at the open door opening of her crate, and she could eat standing outside it. I moved it inside only a bit, but now she runs into the crate to stand in it while she eats. I think she likes being protected from the "outside" while she eats. I don't shut the door or anything, but there's no need. I just wanted her to associate the crate with food and being OK.
As I posted earlier, she now runs into the crate when I go to work and waits for her treats.
My other crated dog, Nayla, is a German Shepherd mix, maybe nine or so, who spent the last several years being neglected and outside all the time. She is an escape artist. She does not want to be confined anywhere anytime, but if I don't crate her when I go to work (overnight shift) she has accidents and tears the house apart.
I do have al lead her to the crate, and then she goes in to get her treat. She is never happy about it but I think when she sees that's the deal for the night, she apparently sleeps the night in there.
She doesn't overly want to be with me. When I'm home and sleeping at home and not working, she doesn't come in my room, but takes the opportunity to have the couch for sleeping. She also still has some accidents if I don't let her out a couple of times during the night. I haven't considered crating her at night when I'm home, and she is slowly getting better about the accidents.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:14 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,719,329 times
Thanks again for all the good information.
Today I have been sitting at my desk most of the day and she has stuck close to me MOST of the time. If I heard her going out on the screened in porch, I would call her back.

I was thinking about putting her crate in my daughters room and letting her use it as a bedside table. I think Kira would be happier closer to one of us and I think my daughter would be MORE appreciative if it were her.

I will do that about the treats in the crate.

My Cavaliers had not been trained to eat while in their crates, in fact if you tried to put food in their crate, they not only would NOT eat it they would cover it with bedding. They had the water dishes on the side of course.

I don't imagine the previous owners took any time in trying her out with a crate. So the woman saying that she didn't like to be in a crate probably doesn't mean much. I am sure that Kira was confused about what was expected of her in that household, where she fell in the line of things.

I have been watching her and I think she just wants to play with the cats, of course some are more open to this then others.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:29 AM

272 posts, read 559,663 times
She has anxiety issues because she keeps getting dumped out of every home has. It will take time to rehabilitate her, don't be like everyone else and give up on her. Bones and toys would help keep her busy and greatly aid in stress reduction.

Old 11-07-2009, 10:12 PM

Well I made the decision today that I could not cope with this dog. My daughter had taken her outside to play for TWO HOURS in the backyard, I know this was done because I was sitting inside on the computer watching. Kira came in, my daughter and I went up to the pool for maybe 30 minutes. In our abscence, while she was hooked to a leash within reach of her food and water, she chewed up my couch and a window screen that was within reach (my fault). I mean she chewed up through the metal.

This is my failing to NOT be more careful about the animal I adopted and knowing my own abilities.

The one thing I believe that the first owner told me is that they had her for 4 years, the eldest child was there and they had pictures of these same children with her as a puppy so she has NOT been passed around.

I have taken her to a local Vet and Kennel that takes in animals, they check out their physical side and find a rehab group for them if thats what the need. I happen to know the sister of one of the Vets from there. She is at the best place she could be. They will know how to handle her. She was so strong and resistant I couldn't even give her a bath.

I appreciate all of your advice. It helped me make the right decision for Kira and that was to give her to someone who can really handle her and take care of her.

My daughter is crushed and that is my fault. Kira is upset and that is also my fault for not thinking before I jumped. In the long run however I know Kira will be better off and I know my daughter will heal in time.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:07 AM

19,814 posts, read 55,771,747 times
Sorry it didn't work out. I know you tried your best. Be prepared for some negative and harsh comments from some posters who won't think you should have adopted her in the first place. Again, sorry.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Sorry it didn't work out. I know you tried your best. Be prepared for some negative and harsh comments from some posters who won't think you should have adopted her in the first place. Again, sorry.
They would be right, I shouldn't have adopted her in the first place, however she is better off now considering the care she is getting then she was when I found her. I do believe that completely. No dog anywhere she be left outside in the backyard all the time, nevermind in a place with weather like we do here in Florida. She needs attention and someone to play with her.

The Vet is going to fix her, give her a bath whether she likes the bath or not and then find her a forever home with someone who will be able to take care of her needs.

I am just glad its over, I was constantly nervous about what the dog was going to do next. She was so funny with the cats but I have one who has kittens and Keeko HATED her and Kira LOVED to gaslight Keeko. The noise those two made were enough to raise the dead because of course Keeko would be screaming and catterwalling and Kira would be trying to get her to play with her and when Keeko would sink a claw in her rump, Kira would run sqwauking away from her. No matter how many times Keeko would spike her, Kira would go back trying to get her to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or