Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:50 PM

60 posts, read 217,701 times

Advertisements

I would just dump the whole wolf-hybrid thing, actually. I just highly doubt this dog is a hybrid. People have no clue what they are talking about half the time when it comes to dogs, and the lady you got the dog from sounds like a real winner. Again, only DNA would have me believe that dog is a hybrid. This breed already gets looked at sideways sometimes, so no need to fuel the fire with stuff that is most likely not true.

Anyway, as some folks have already said, it just seems this dog needs spaying, obedience training, and basic house manners training. I don't think this dog is a huge 'problem' dog at all.

The only problem is that the OP may not be able to learn how to train this dog, and how to handle and house the dog properly. THAT is the issue. And honestly, I wouldnt want her getting ANY other dog until she learned how to do that. If she was clueless about this dog, how is she going to be any more knowledgeable about any other dog? The dog/s she owned prior may have just been more of a 'easier' dog to own, and she got lucky.
The OP even wanted to contact the lady she got the dog from for ideas about a trainer, when it was obvious that the previous owner may not have been forthcoming about all the dogs issues. I wouldn't go back to THAT lady for opinions on dog trainers. It's pretty obvious she didn't use one!

But if she is going to get rid of the dog anyway, I guess finding a trainer is a moot point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 04:54 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineCountry View Post
This is absolutely what i was going to say. I dont believe a lot of these wolf-hybrid things i hear. DNA test, then i will believe it.
There is no DNA test for a wolf-hybrid.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:15 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,045,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineCountry View Post
I would just dump the whole wolf-hybrid thing, actually. I just highly doubt this dog is a hybrid. People have no clue what they are talking about half the time when it comes to dogs, and the lady you got the dog from sounds like a real winner. Again, only DNA would have me believe that dog is a hybrid. This breed already gets looked at sideways sometimes, so no need to fuel the fire with stuff that is most likely not true.

Anyway, as some folks have already said, it just seems this dog needs spaying, obedience training, and basic house manners training. I don't think this dog is a huge 'problem' dog at all.

The only problem is that the OP may not be able to learn how to train this dog, and how to handle and house the dog properly. THAT is the issue. And honestly, I wouldnt want her getting ANY other dog until she learned how to do that. If she was clueless about this dog, how is she going to be any more knowledgeable about any other dog? The dog/s she owned prior may have just been more of a 'easier' dog to own, and she got lucky.
The OP even wanted to contact the lady she got the dog from for ideas about a trainer, when it was obvious that the previous owner may not have been forthcoming about all the dogs issues. I wouldn't go back to THAT lady for opinions on dog trainers. It's pretty obvious she didn't use one!

But if she is going to get rid of the dog anyway, I guess finding a trainer is a moot point.
Excellent post. I agree with everything you said.

I just hope she does right by the dog and takes the time to find a rescue.

Kira doesn't sound like a bad dog, at all.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:22 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Well I am back.
Kira did fine when we were gone overnight to the hospital. My neighbor and her husband who Kira had never met (the husband) came over to let her out to potty in the fenced in backyard and she did fine.

She was thrilled to see us when we got back the next day. She is amazingly well house trained.
I have been reading what you have been saying, she had been left in the backyard for like 2 years according to the woman I got her from. I had thought maybe I could get her to give me some information about who she bought the dog from in order to find out if the dog was really part wolf but how likely are they to tell me the truth.

Part of this is my anxiety, I suffer from generalized anxiety and this has caused it to spike. That is MY problem, not Kira's.
The problem we have now is that Kira will jump through a screen to get to us if we have gone out to the grocery store or just up the road to a neighbors house or as she did the other day, she jumped through the screen door right in front of me to go after a stray cat although I don't know that she would have hurt the cat.

She sort of teases the cats here and to be sure the cats are NOT innocent. I have 5 cats who live with me permanently. One of the 5 died a couple weeks ago so my daughter and I decided to keep one of the kittens from the litter that we are fostering. He is called Charlie and about the size of a beanie baby, Charlie is not afraid of Kira at all. Kira walks by him and licks him on the head, no hissing from Charlie they are fine. However the Mother of the foster kitties is extremely agressive in that she will go after anything she thinks might harm her kittens and there have been a few unpleasant scenes with those two but I think Kira has realized she needs to leave her alone.

When my daughter gets home, I send her and Kira into the backyard to play so Kira can get some exercise. We have a fenced in backyard however I would NOT leave Kira unattended in that backyard because I am not positive that she couldn't get out. Because our AC is broken we have our windows open and the sliders to our screened porch, although now its cooling down this has been necessary. When we were gone, I have had to tie her on a long lead to the leg of the couch. I have been impressed that she hasn't offered to chew the couch to bits when I have done this. I have also put her on a long lead and attached her to my bed or more recently my daughters bed. She loves my daughters attention and presence.

I do have a crate for her which I was thinking was better for training her then tying her up to a piece of furniture and I have put her in that tonight out on the screened in porch. Its 69 degrees here so that seems humane to me. She has fallen silent after alot of whining. Earlier we went up to the pool for a swim, I could hear her two houses away whining for my daughter at least thats what I assume it was. She was attached to the couch.

She is a very strong dog so something like the couch is necessary.

The other day my daughter had some chores in the garage to do, my truck was facing in and it has to metal hooks on the front for pulling stumps and such so we attached Kira on a long lead so she could be outside with Diane while she did her thing in the garage. Although the lead was not long enough for her to be off our property, it did give her room to get some exercise.

I think its a valid concern that this just might not be the dog for us. I have had Cavalier King Charles Spaniels in the past and they were easy to train, no challenge of the Alpha situation there.
Kira does behave better for me however then she does my daughter. You can see she knows she doesn't have to do what Diane says. For example, my daughter can't get her to go in her crate but I was able to do it easily.

I had always been of the opinion that a dog should have a crate and it be used for training purposes. However this was in reference to a smaller dog. I do know people who have used them for large dogs but of course every situation is different. I feel sort of encouraged that she has gotten quiet and stopped whining. It is not my intent to always have her in that crate at night. I was hoping it would teach her to be quiet and not keep damaging the house.

My daughter is very upset at the suggestion of finding her a new home. However in the end if that is what is best for her, then that is what I will have to do.

I have been reading that it takes some time for any dog to adjust. BUT then you have a dog who has been left on its own for 2 years in the backyard. I feel so badly for her, she wants to be with us every minute of the day. Doesn't that indicate anxiety and loneliness? Does she fear we are going to get rid of her or never spend time with her??

Earlier I got in her face and shook a finger at her as I said in an authoritative voice that she had to be quiet. She cringed as if I was going to beat her. This dog has been abused, there are no marks on her or obviously healed wounds however that cringe is something that makes me think the husband at the last house she was at, took out his aggression on the dog.

I don't want to frighten her into behaving and feel that positive reinforcement is a better way to train animals AND people, I guess I just don't know how to make myself the Alpha with this dog and not frighten her. When I went to put her in her crate, I took her by the lead, made her walk at my heel, did not let her pull on the lead and spoke in my best Alpha dog voice and she went right in the crate NO PROBLEMS.

I learn alot from all of your responses and appreciate the help and input your giving me not too mention the resources you have given me for training and the possibility for re-homing her.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
I had a crate for a Gt Dane and he was in it while I was at work. I don't think it harmed him at all.

I think Kira is just so happy to be w/your family that she wants to be w/you 24/7. It's heaven compared to what she had before. I don't think it's anxiety like you are thinking. All of my rescues have been fanatically devoted to me after the bad lives they had before.

I had a dog who was beaten by her former owner's BF and she cowered when I raised a finger at her. Last time I did that! How could anyone have been so cruel to a sweet dog? She is just trying to please you.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:36 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I had a crate for a Gt Dane and he was in it while I was at work. I don't think it harmed him at all.

I think Kira is just so happy to be w/your family that she wants to be w/you 24/7. It's heaven compared to what she had before. I don't think it's anxiety like you are thinking. All of my rescues have been fanatically devoted to me after the bad lives they had before.

I had a dog who was beaten by her former owner's BF and she cowered when I raised a finger at her. Last time I did that! How could anyone have been so cruel to a sweet dog? She is just trying to please you.
It seems like she gets so excited about being with us or when my daughter comes home she does things she normally wouldn't do. I have yet to see anything aggressive in her. In fact the cats rule with a furry paw. She will run from the adults and the kittens. Some of the kittens, mainly the two girls don't care for her, all they have to do is hiss and spit and she gets away from them.

Eventually, she has to learn to behave so she can roam freely in the house and not go through a window or part of the point in having her is lost. I wanted a companion for both my daughter and myself however I wanted a large dog so people would think twice about breaking in the house.

As soon as my daughter gets up for school, she will be out of the crate and outside for a run in the backyard, this is one of Diane's things she has to do before she leaves for school. Then if I am still asleep, she has to bring her to me or the poor thing will howl if left where she can't get too me.

Once we are sure we are rid of the fleas completely, I see no reason she can't sleep in the bed with me. Thats where she wants to be.
She can open windows that are just cracked a little with her nose so I have to get those safety thingys that keep the window from being opened when its cracked open a little for air. Then she will be fine in my room for the night. However she might very well choose to sleep with my daughter, she does seem so excited whenever she sees her, its very sweet.
When I was a child I had a German Shepherd only I was just three years old. She was like my Nanny because she followed me everywhere

Old 11-05-2009, 04:51 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
Neat update, sounds like you have a good handle on things, glad to hear she's coming along so nicely. Maybe giving her a little extra exercise before you leave would help tire her out somewhat and lessen her anxiety, also would be very fast in leaving and also when you come home, in other words don't gush over her, a quick goodbye and hello is plenty sufficient - when you (or your daughter) come home, would actually go about your business and ignore her for the first 10 minutes - if you overdo the hello's or goodbye's, it can make her nervous and could actually make her think she should be worried/nervous when you leave - much better to make a quick getaway (and also when you return). Re her not being eager to go into the crate for your daughter, she prob. views your daughter as her littermate/sibling. If your daughter (or you) starts feeding her in the crate, she'll associate it w/ good things and may be more eager to go into it (when I crated mine, I'd always give them a treat, they couldnt get in the crates fast enough, LOL).

Old 11-05-2009, 05:04 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,029,210 times
i got bailey and dave some of those puzzle toys that you fill with kibble and/or treats..... they have to roll and push them around to get the goodies out..... they get them right before i leave and now they hardly notice me walking out the door....... i just have to find something to occupy them (dave in particular) for the rest of the day as well......

Old 11-05-2009, 05:23 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Thanks so much for taking the time to update us. I'd have to agree with all that HoneyCrisp stated. Using the crate is not cruel as long as introductions have been done properly. If you can get her in, than she is not so terrified with it.
It will take her time to adjust to your life style and all that is expected of her. Don't forget, it seems all she knows is being tied outdoors....As far as the mama cat...completely normal and of no fault of Kiras. One of the cattery cats my daughter has weighs all of 5 lbs and will attack like a she-devil animal, no matter size the size or type. Humans are fine...but it you've got 4 legs be prepared to have an enraged cat attached to your face if her kittens are in the room!

Of course, you may never know for sure, but by appearance alone, your dog is not wolf/hybrid. And your right, trying to get a truthful answer out of the previous owner maybe next to impossible! Which is shame, because knowing some background on Kira could help you all tremendously. I still believe, if you could swing some basic training classes and get a few books on the subject, it would do you all good.
Hope your daughter is doing well after her hospital stay..and please, do keep us updated on Kira...whatever your decision may be.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:00 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Here's how to crate train a dog: Crate Training | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/our_pets_for_life_program/dog_behavior_tip_sheets/crate_training.html - broken link)

You can't just get a crate, put the dog in and close the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs