Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:14 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,722,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I don't know what kind of rescue to contact, I guess one for a hybrid although I have no proof she is one.
Any speciality breed rescue will take a dog that is a mix of the breed. It doesn't need to be a purebred German Shepherd to be fostered at a German Shepherd rescue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:55 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,302,181 times
Lindsey...was just talking to my daughter about your situation. She pointed out, that just because your dogs father was 75% Wolf(and We actually doubt that...he was probably wolf-hybrid himself) and Mom was 100% GS, It depends on just how much of the wolf-hybrid gene your dog actually acquired...just as in any mix breed...that would include personality traits as well as appearance. With our Kota....to an untrained eye, she could be a husky/shepard mix, until you start looking closely. When you witness her abilities, you KNOW she is a hybrid. Here is Kota at 5 months taken a few weeks ago....she's in the "long legged lanky" stage for sure!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:05 AM

9,352 posts, read 19,964,180 times
wow..... she has REALLY grown up!!!

what does she weigh now??

and isn't that leggy / lanky stage just too cute??

Old 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
wow..... she has REALLY grown up!!!

what does she weigh now??

and isn't that leggy / lanky stage just too cute??
She really is skinny...weighs in at 60 lbs or so. Trying to find a food that will put some weight on her. She nibbles at her food and just grazes....then 1 day, she'll finish her bowl and then the grazing starts again. Chris doesn't want to leave the bowl down all the time...so it's a catch 22. Just started her on some BB Wilderness, so we're hoping that will put some lbs on her. ( sigh...we should all have such problems!)

Old 10-29-2009, 11:23 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,847,241 times
Wow, that's a beautiful dog Shelby. I have nothing actually to add to this thread other than I feel bad for the OP. I think that in the end she needs to do what's best for herself and daughter and if that means giving up the dog, then she should. I think that people sometimes get so tied to and wrapped up in an idea that they lose focus. If you can't handle this dog, if you can't afford training, if you believe you are in over your head, then give her up to a rescue (not the local shelter). Unfortunately, as much as we love the idea of "saving an animal" for whatever reason, people do come first. I'm sorry that you have to go through this.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Wow, that's a beautiful dog Shelby. I have nothing actually to add to this thread other than I feel bad for the OP. I think that in the end she needs to do what's best for herself and daughter and if that means giving up the dog, then she should. I think that people sometimes get so tied to and wrapped up in an idea that they lose focus. If you can't handle this dog, if you can't afford training, if you believe you are in over your head, then give her up to a rescue (not the local shelter). Unfortunately, as much as we love the idea of "saving an animal" for whatever reason, people do come first. I'm sorry that you have to go through this.
Aw, thanks. But I can not take too much credit...My daughter saved her and she belongs to her.
Great post as well...reps to you!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:53 AM

605 posts, read 2,981,664 times
Kota's gorgeous!

Lindsey, I agree with the others that wold hybrids need a special person to work with them. I agree with what Sandycat said
Quote:
If you can't handle this dog, if you can't afford training, if you believe you are in over your head, then give her up to a rescue (not the local shelter).
about not having the means to get training with your dog. That is the only reason I suggested she may not be the right pet for you. This is not the first time I have heard of Craigslist being a means of getting rid of an animal with major problems, and you did save her from who knows what.

When we got our puppy my SO was attracted to breeds like Australian Shepards & Cattle dogs, Border Collies, Siberian Huskies and Malamutes. But to be realistic none of those high energy, high maintenance breeds would work with our lifestyle right now (my last dog was a border collie mix, and he was destructive when he got bored.), which is why we chose an English Setter mix, which is slightly more laid back. And his breed mix works for us.

I'm sure Kira could be a great dog, given time and training, but she may not reach her potential without a firm hand and professional training right now.

Last edited by Hanna B.; 10-29-2009 at 12:12 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 01:45 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,355,980 times
I was unable to upload a picture, I think the pictures my daughter takes with her new camera produce files that are too big.
I have to figure out how to make them a smaller file.

She looks like any other German Shepherd. I had noticed that her black saddle isn't as well defined from the fawn color. She has the face of a Shepherd. Her body isn't exactly the same as the pictures I see of Shepherds.

She is smart but as I have said, she went through the window because we were not home. I have the windows open now and she has been laying next to me the whole time. At first she did get really upset when my daughter would go to school but she seems to be getting over that.

She certainly looks NOTHING like the dog that was in the reply that someone said was a wolf hybrid.

I have resized two of her pictures, I am going to try and upload them again.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:56 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,355,980 times

Old 10-29-2009, 02:06 PM

Going on LOOKS alone ( and she is gorgeous by the way), I would say, no...she is not a wolf-hybrid. But, looks can be deceiving too. I would have to see her actions and movements to be certain. Did your vet have an opinion? Our Kota has seen two vets and both times they immediately picked up on her mix within minutes of spending time with her. Of course, her looks are a big part of that too! But she also does not move like a dog...her gait is totally different, as are other movements she has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs