Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:01 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times

Advertisements

I was petting Beesley this evening and felt a bump under his fur. Upon further investigation I discovered it was a tick!!

I looked up a bunch of info online before attempting to get rid of the little critter. I read to douse the bug in alcohol and it will unlatch and you can pull it off. Well, the only alcohol I own is rubbing alcohol, so I tried that. Nothing.

I ended up calling a 24-hour care line and the tech I talked to said just to pull the little booger off--no need to make it unlatch itself. He said rarely do ticks burrow in dogs when they're pulled off. So...I did. I believe the head came out still attached to the bug.

Is this all I need to do? I disinfected the area well with the rubbing alcohol after I pulled the tick off. Should I seek some sort of anti-tick treatment? I have no idea how he got it...I live in the city and Beesley is only outside on my cement and stucco patio for about an hour each day. He never really comes in contact with trees or brush. Also, should I give Beesley a bath after having him come in contact with rubbing alcohol?

Please advise!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,682,607 times
It's a tick, no big deal. The tech was right, just pull it off gently, no twisting. Try to grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible, so you don't squeeze the contents of its stomach back into your pet. Flush the critter or squash it -- remember they are pretty hard to squish. I'd probably wash off the rubbing alcohol and leave the bite alone. Keep an eye on the bite for a day or so to make sure it doesn't get infected, and that's it.

Oh, and ticks can drop off other animals, so he could easily get one on your patio if an outdoor cat wandered by. You should have him on some sort of monthly flea and tick preventative if you don't already.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:11 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Poor Beesley! I don't have any advice for you b/c when I lived where there were critters like that, I used a preventative. That's one thing in UT I don't have to worry about. Pat his little head for me!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:49 PM

354 posts, read 1,281,668 times
You did all you need to, no big deal. Do start using some flea and tick guard so that he will be resistant to picking up and more of them. It is a little surprising him picking one up in the desert but people like to make things lush around their homes and other animals bring them in.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:49 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Great advice all the way around. Who knows where he could have gotten it...you could have actually brought it in! Hate those blood sucking little critters!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:19 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
It sounds like you did good.

Artie has had two ticks. I felt them both times and screamed for my husband to "come! take it off!" (That wasn't meant to sound like you might think it sounded. )

Anyway, my husband got them off (while Artie was squirming and I was cringing) and that was that. Nothing else to do. In fact, at that time, I didn't even know about cleansing with alcohol, etc... I just wanted the darned things OFF.

So, even without a proper cleansing, Artie is fine and dandy.

With all that you did, I'm sure Beesley is none the worse for wear. Carry on!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:26 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Most "big" ticks are fairly benign, it's the tiny deer ticks (about the size of a sesame seed) that are the real concern. You shouldn't need to do anything further. Sometimes dogs (and people) will have a hard bump at the bite site for about a week. Don't worry about it - it will go away. Go to a vet if there is a lot of swelling or redness that appears to be getting worse.

When removing ticks, try your best not to squeeze the body. Get a grip as close to the head as possible and pull. When you get done gagging and shuddering, kill the tick and flush it.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Most "big" ticks are fairly benign, it's the tiny deer ticks (about the size of a sesame seed) that are the real concern.
I typed a big long post about Lymes Disease and Deer ticks. Then I realized that the OP is in Arizona. There's no Lymes Disease in Arizonia. Amazing, but true.

To anyone who does live in an area with Lymes Disease, I'll share my warning: save the tick and take it to the vets. It will save you lots of money and peace of mind.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:52 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I typed a big long post about Lymes Disease and Deer ticks. Then I realized that the OP is in Arizona. There's no Lymes Disease in Arizonia. Amazing, but true.

To anyone who does live in an area with Lymes Disease, I'll share my warning: save the tick and take it to the vets. It will save you lots of money and peace of mind.

Nationwide distribution of Lyme. Not a frequent problem in Arizona.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:05 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I live in a high risk area for Lymes Disease (Pennsylvania).

I know so many people who have lost their pets to the disease. It's such a terrible way for a pet to die---a slow, wasting-away type of disease.

Anyone who lives in a high risk area should always take ticks removed from pets to the vet.

If you forget to save the tick or lose it, you'll need to have the dog tested a couple of times.

Diagnosed and treated early, Lymes Disease can be stopped. Wait too long and there's nothing that can be done to save an animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs