U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:18 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,625,360 times

Advertisements

Irony:

Artie, the monster in a dog suit, is a perfect driving companion. Sits still. Looks out the window a bit. Sticks his head out the window a bit. Behaves perfectly. Amazing for a monster.

My friend's dog, a Lab/Pit mix, the most docile and sweet dog EVER, freaks out when he's in a car. Runs around like an Artie, errr, I mean, like a monster. Just goes NUTS. He ate the entire passenger seat in her minivan. Yeah, you read that right: HE. ATE. THE. ENTIRE. PASSENGER. SEAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:02 PM

4,551 posts, read 10,177,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyR View Post
Just wondering how old your dogs were when you started letting them ride in the car loose? My 5 month old lab is a complete nut, loves going anywhere in the car, but must be crated as he would jump and run around and chew, etc. We have a minivan and I'm wondering if or when he'll calm down enough to sit in the cargo area or belted in a seat. We haven't strapped down the crate, but I'm now thinking we should.

My GSD started riding in the front seat on his own at eight weeks and other than chewing a little on the shifter thing he was a perfect little guy. I guess I did have a perfect little boy princess Once he got to big he had to transfer to the back seat and I would really like to get him a seat belt for his own and my safety although he is really good you just never know!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,870,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I can see how the dog and the bird wouldn't be a problem in that arrangement, but I'm a little concerned about the manipulation of the camera and the lack of the seatbelt...
(I know you're actually in the passenger's seat, but I couldn't resist)
I actually do wear my seat-belt when we are on regular roads but when I took the picture we were going about 10 MPH on an old logging road and we were the only ones on the road at the time. I had the camera in one hand and a beer in the other. I don't drink anymore but it's still legal for a passenger to have an open container in our state !
We are lucky to have a dog that doesn't jump about in the rig, she is calmer than Ina Garten !

Old 11-03-2009, 09:00 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,677,759 times
i agree that it's inconsiderate and irresponsible to drive with your dog on your lap, or in any situation where the dog is distracting you. it's not safe for you, the dog, or other people on the road. but i don't know why the op feels the need to dig into everyone who takes their dogs with them on short car rides. my dog loves to ride in the car and loves to be with me (and the feeling is mutual) so yes, when i'm not going somewhere where she can't go (i won't leave her in the car), she comes with me.

we've actually had her jump in the car when we were cleaning it out, and took her for a ride around the block rather than force her out again. yeah, she has us trained.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:50 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,870,919 times
We had our dog jump into someone else's van while they were loading in their groceries at a store.
She wanted to go where the food was going !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or