Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times

Advertisements

It happened again in the carpool line at school today.

Yet another driver gumming up the works. Lurching out into traffic. Taking inordinately long amounts of time to flip on a turn signal, execute a simple pull away from the curb, and accelerate.

But she couldn't. Why?

Because her freaking dog was in her lap. So, instead, she held up the line, making a torturous maneuver because Prissy or Bubbles or Whateverthehellthemuttsnamewas was bouncing around in her lap, sticking her head out the window, barking away at all the kids.

At my kid's school, this is not an uncommon phenomenon. Driving away from the school, a good half-dozen cars had the dogs riding in the front seats of the car. Some were in the passenger seats. Some were in the laps of the drivers.

What the heck? Is this a dependency issue?

Is this a seeing eye dog? Does it bark once for a left turn and twice for a right turn? Somebody please explain to me why it's necessary for your dog to ride with you in the car for the twenty-minute round trip to school. Not only does it impede progress, but it's actually a hazard to driving.

Trust me. When you're trying to make it to work on time, it's just not that cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 06:58 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Sometimes dogs just like to go for rides in the car. Look out the window, smell the smells, etc. They just enjoy it. Now, I don't agree with the dog riding in the driver's lap. I work for an insurance company and that is just too great of a distraction to be a safe driver.

Sometimes my Westie wants to go for a ride and sometimes he doesn't. But he sits in the back seat and looks out the back window . . . so I really don't see how that is hurting anyone. It certainly does not impede progress. What impedes progress at my son's school is the car that pulls up to the walkway and their kid takes 5 minutes to gather their books and crawl out of the car. When you pull up to the first of the line - your child should have books in hand and ready to jump out. That's my pet peeve.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:07 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I am certainly not a fan of dogs riding on laps. Your right there is a definate safety issue. BUT...my dog rides in the front seat all the time...as a passenger...of course,now it is because I only have a 2 seater...but back when the kids were around..people always asked why..kids in the back..dog in front? My ans.... dog doesn't mess with the AC, dog doesn't change radio station and dog doesn't mouth off with attitude. Worked for me

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 10-30-2009 at 07:32 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 07:22 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Our dog sits behind the seats in our pick up but when our little conure is with us they both have to be right up there seeing everything. They have never caused any problems while we're driving though. They sit pretty still.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:40 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
I don't often drive with my dog on my lap because I have a big dog, but I often bring him with me on short rides and I see nothing wrong with it. He stays in the back seat and doesn't affect my driving. I can't help but think you're exagerating a bit about the dogs being a hazard. I think it's possible that you're anxious to drop off your kid and get out of there and are just being impatient about the situation. I mean I'm not a parent, but I'd expect parents to exercise caution while driving at a SCHOOL surrounded by CHILDREN. And If this is a common occurence, why not allow extra time in the morning so you're not late for work. Problem solved!

I can tell that you're not a dog person so this may be difficult to understand, but lots of dogs enjoy car rides and their owners (myself included) enjoy the company. No, I don't have a "dependency issue," strangely enough I just enjoy hanging out with my dog.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:50 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
My dog comes in the car almost every single time we go out. He doesn't like to be home alone and loves the car. He has a seatbelt harness and wears that on all trips and spends most of the time secured and sleeping in the backseat. I would never put a dog on my lap while driving, because that's just asking for an accident, no matter how small your dog.

Most states have laws stating that your dog must have a seatbelt and we would never travel without one. Our friend was in a wreck 5 months ago, and luckily both her dogs were seatbelted. If they haven't been, the would have flown through the windshield and probably killed on impact or by one of the passing cars.

Think about it, if you are in a crash where you lose consciousness, even if your dog is fine in the backseat unrestarained, the cop and emergency personnel don't know that he's friendly and it gets in the way of them helping you. In CA and NJ I know they have a right to shoot an unrestrained dog if it becomes a nuisance or hinders emergency help for the humans. Seatbelts are cheap, comfortable and work.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:53 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
He stays in the back seat and doesn't affect my driving. I can't help but think you're exagerating a bit about the dogs being a hazard.
I think you're not understanding what the OP's on about.

Your dog is in the back seat. Fine.

The OP is talking about drivers with small breeds that run back and forth across the front seats, leaning up on the steering wheel, balancing on the dashboard, hanging out the window on the arm rest. It is a safety hazard whether or not you are "a dog person".

I know exactly what the OP is on about, I see it all the time. I can only assume until one of these drivers crushes the dog with his/her own body in an accident... they won't learn.

Would you stare in horror if someone drove with a baby on their lap? Probably. What's the difference?

Old 10-30-2009, 08:02 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Sometimes dogs just like to go for rides in the car. Look out the window, smell the smells, etc. They just enjoy it...............Sometimes my Westie wants to go for a ride and sometimes he doesn't. But he sits in the back seat and looks out the back window . . . so I really don't see how that is hurting anyone.
When your Westie becomes a 55 MPH flying missle (because although he is CURRENTLY in the back seat - when you stop suddenly on the highway - he will continue his forward motion) he WILL be hurting someone - mainly himself- but probably YOU as well. Add to that the distraction and all the way around - you have a problem.

The BEST way for a dog to travel in a vehicle is within a secue crate that is affixed to the backseat.

Should your dog (and you) prefer an "open" ride than I suggest this:

Ruffrider.com | Dog Seatbelts | Car Safety Harnesses and Pet Safety

It can save your dog's life.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:27 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,036 times
Dog on lap or a person on a cell phone - both drivers are dangerous, and both drivers don't think either activity is dangerous to them. But even laws against such things don't make a difference, it seems. I'd be very afraid that the airbag would go off and kill my dog if it were on my lap. I'd probably be OK because I'm big enough, but a little dog would be creamed by an airbag. People just don't think!

Old 10-30-2009, 08:30 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
Fivehorses--If you re-read the original post, it is clearly not concerned with the safety of the dog! S/he just wants the cars to move out of the way so s/he can get to work on time and doesn't see the need for dogs to ride in a car period.

For the record I don't agree with letting a dog be all over the place in a moving vehicle.

But my "dog person" comment was not referring to the situation you're describing (dog running all around car etc)-- it was in reference to the original post asking why dogs ride in cars AT ALL. I was simply explaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs