U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:48 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,687,591 times

Advertisements

DH just got back from the vet with our 14 y/o Lab Bandit. He has been having some problems lately with controlling his bowels along with other issues and we wanted to get our vet's opinion on any options that might help him. Unfortunately, the verdict is that his spinal degeneration is advancing and that very, very soon he will no longer have any feeling or control below the central midline of his back. With this news and as he lays here at my feet, I've been thinking about our 7 1/2 years since his rescue and wanted to share what this very noble animal has taught us.
  • Forgive the trials, tortures and abuses of yesterday and enjoy what you have today.
  • Never pass up the chance to sit and feel a warm breeze and the sights and smells of a sunny day
  • Show your loved ones every day that you appreciate them
  • Understand that the simple things in life are the best. For him its his favorite stuffed toy. For me its his big soft head resting here on my foot.
and finally
  • No matter what has happened to you in your past, yesterday is gone. If you are brave enough to let go of your fear - you CAN be loved, you CAN trust and life CAN be good.
Our days with Bandit may now be numbered in the single digits but I'm going to try to take the lessons he has taught with me for the rest of my life. If you want to see the sweet boy I'm speaking of - just click on my profile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 12:34 PM

386 posts, read 1,171,017 times
Sorry about Bandit's condition, but he is so lucky to have such caring parents. Thank you for reminding us of these very important lessons - it is so easy to forget about the simple things dog appreciate every day.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:12 PM

15,891 posts, read 15,302,081 times
We learn so much from our pets and some of us don't even realize it. You have captured it in a post. Thank you for that. What you wrote is beautiful and obviously heart-felt.

I'm so sorry about Bandit. I just returned from the ICU visiting my cat and watching the faces of the other visitors was so sad until I realized that we are the lucky ones. We, who love our pets, who have been gentled by them, who are fortunate to be loved by them, are so lucky to have them in our lives and even after they are gone they will still be in our lives because whether we know it or not we have been shaped by them as they were shaped by us.

I'm sending hugs to you, your husband and your very special Bandit.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:28 PM

16,678 posts, read 26,763,413 times
Oh!!!

I'm so sorry that you got news like that but -- my gosh! -- what you've learned from him. Thank you for sharing that knowledge.

Treasure every day like I know you will.

Kisses to Bandit and hugs to you.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:05 PM

19,823 posts, read 56,029,281 times
So sorry to hear abou Bandit's condition. Hugs to all of you....

Old 10-31-2009, 10:05 PM

24,843 posts, read 32,406,264 times
(((((((Hugs))))))))

Old 10-31-2009, 10:08 PM

21,338 posts, read 7,519,764 times
As I gulp back tears, I'm sending {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} your way. What a wonderful dog you adopted and how lucky Bandit is that you did so.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:56 AM

9,355 posts, read 16,845,177 times
he looks SO content with life in that big picture of him........

(((HUGGZ)))

Old 11-01-2009, 11:24 AM

3,593 posts, read 10,687,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
he looks SO content with life in that big picture of him........

(((HUGGZ)))
I can't even imagine the horrors this dog went thought for the first 6 1/2 or 7 years of his life at that puppy mill. Yet he got past it and learned to love and trust humans again. Of all the dogs that have come into my life, Bandit has made the deepest impression on my heart & soul. A more gentle, sweet, trusting and NOBLE animal has never lived. I will be taking him back the the vet on Monday or Tuesday to let this gentle soul rest. He is not in any pain (thank goodness) but that is making it even harder for me. Thanks so much everyone for the hugs.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:28 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,355,147 times
Hugs to you! My cassy is 13 years old and slipping also. My thoughts are with you and thank you for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or