Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:16 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,399,426 times

Advertisements

When I had knee surgery, I faced the same problem. How in the world do you exercise dogs when you have limited movement? I solved it by buying a cheap radio controlled "4-wheeler type vehicle" and attaching a string with a tennis ball at the back of it. I'd sit on the patio with my leg up and laugh at my furkids chasing this thing around the yard It gave them the exercise they needed and kept my spirits up watching their antics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 11:50 AM

605 posts, read 2,988,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
When I had knee surgery, I faced the same problem. How in the world do you exercise dogs when you have limited movement? I solved it by buying a cheap radio controlled "4-wheeler type vehicle" and attaching a string with a tennis ball at the back of it. I'd sit on the patio with my leg up and laugh at my furkids chasing this thing around the yard It gave them the exercise they needed and kept my spirits up watching their antics
What a great idea!

Years ago I had a 'dogapault'. I swear that's what it was called. I bought it from the back of Dog Fancy, I'm pretty sure. It was self launching but the dog had to be trained to do it. The dog would place a tennis ball into a cup (it was a small plastic flowerpot, actually - it was a home made type dealie), step on the foot pad, and the dogapault would launch the ball about 20 feet. My dog would retrieve the ball, place it back into the cup, repeat, repeat, repeat.

I just came in here to say that I do take my dog for 2-3 mile walks daily and he still can get into trouble if not supervised - so I know how you feel! He ripped up a pair of my SO's shoes 2 nights ago - I thought he was sleeping.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna B. View Post
He ripped up a pair of my SO's shoes 2 nights ago - I thought he was sleeping.
Until mine were out of their chewing stage, we kept the shoes up high when they were not in our bedroom closets.

It was sort of bizzare having shoes on the very top of the china chest, but it worked.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Until mine were out of their chewing stage, we kept the shoes up high when they were not in our bedroom closets.

It was sort of bizzare having shoes on the very top of the china chest, but it worked.
LOL - they grow out of the chewing stage!? When does that happen???

Old 11-07-2009, 02:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
LOL - they grow out of the chewing stage!? When does that happen???
Both of mine outgrew chewing. They were about two years old before they understood what they were allowed to chew.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Both of mine outgrew chewing. They were about two years old before they understood what they were allowed to chew.
Even at 10, 7, & 5 years old, if they don't get enough exercise...nothing is safe! After Bandit passed, I was too upset to walk them on Tuesday & Wednesday. The result Thursday morning was a living room that looked like it had been T.P'ed. Still don't know if it was just one dog or a pack activity but the amount of the Charmin that was spread around sure got DH's & my attention

Proves the saying...a tired dog is a happy dog!

Old 11-07-2009, 04:52 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,170,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
Bailey and Dave have access to the backyard while I am at work all day. Even with that, Dave is showing signs of being bored..... he has been getting destructive over the past week or so.... I injured my knee pretty badly 4 weeks ago today, so there have been no walks in the interim.... after being used to going 2-3 miles in the evenings and a half hour or so most mornings..... We are going to try a half hour walk in the neighborhood this morning and see how that goes.... cross your paws for me......

they have 3 puzzle toys that i fill with mostly kibble with some treats for added interest, and as much as they love those, it is still not enough for the entire day.....

the back yard has enough room for some runnin' ..... but i am trying to think of some sort of simple games or toys i could set up back there to keep him occupied for a while each day...... mentally and physically.......

he is doing well with "sit" .... sort of slow with "down" and "wait" .... which is probably some my fault as well..... he also seems to suffer from that common teenaged boy syndrome known as short attention span......

y'all are some SMART dog people..... what can you suggest for me??
I'm sorry about your injury! Especially being a dog owner, that must be so hard! Hopefully everything will be back to normal soon enough though. I am sure that the lack of walks is the main problem here.

So, with that being said, I have 1 word for you.. Treadmill! If you don't have a treadmill, you could probably get a used one for pretty cheep. It's not like you need anything nice and new. But, for now at least, while you can't go for the nice long walks/runs that you usually take your dog on, a treadmill would be great! There is a myth (I think it's normally a "pit bull" myth) that treadmills are only used for dogs that are being trained to fight. That couldn't be more false! Treadmills can be a wonderful thing, especially if you are recovering from an injury and physically can't walk your dogs as much as they need, or even for the days where you might just be too busy to take your dogs on walks. Many responsible owners utilize treadmills to help exercise their dogs.

Now, I have to say, I am a firm believer that nothing can really replace a good walk. Walks are not only wonderful for exercise, but they are great for training, they are great for bonding, and they are great for socialization. So, I would never suggest that someone just start using a treadmill to replace walks, but to help out on the days when you can't go on walks, a treadmill can be a wonderful thing!

So, if you already have a treadmill, that's great. And if not, like I said, I am sure you can get one for cheep. It will most likely take a few tries to get your dog to warm up to using the treadmill, but we made it work for Brooklyn (our male APBT). He didn't like it at first, but after several tries, he was okay with it. So, the chances of your dog just loving the treadmill right away are probably pretty slim, but don't get discouraged, it normally doesn't take too long to get your dog to warm up to it.

Okay, so, if you do like the treadmill idea, you will need to first, make this time a positive experience for your dog. Introduce the exercise experience as play time with treats as a reward. Over time your dog will learn to trust you, his fear will diminish and your bond will become closer. Start out very slowly, leave the treadmill out somewhere, where your dog can see it and walk by it. You walk on the treadmill for a few minutes at a time to get your dog used to the noise. When your dog comes to investigate the treadmill, give him a treat. Once he becomes used to the noise and presence of the treadmill. Put him on a leash, walk him onto the belt, have him stay for a few seconds then give him a treat. You never ever want to tie your dog to the treadmill though. Work your way up to being able to turn the treadmill on. Then you can work your way up to speed. Your dog will love you for treadmill training. He can work of his excess energy and you will have a happier dog. Never leave him unattended on the treadmill though. At least be in the same room.

Some people seem to think that when training a dog to use the treadmill they can take his leash and tie it to the little bar underneath where all the buttons are. Please don't do that, it is not safe for your dog. Also, do not reward the dog if he messes up at all, or he will think it's a good thing. You can also use a regular adult treadmill. Put your dog on a leash, but first you get on the treadmill and start at a slow speed. Let your dog get a good idea of what it's about. Many dogs love to do almost anything a human does. On leash, put your dog on the treadmill along with you (just as if you were going for a walk outside.) For the first couple of times the dog will jump off because they can feel something moving underneath them, but be patient and before you know it your dog is running along with you just fine. Don't go too fast and ALWAYS start out very slow.

If you don't want to do the treadmill thing, for whatever reason, obviously that is fine too. Hopefully you will be able to start taking him on his normal walks soon enough anyway. As far as toys, treats, games, etc. I don't really know what I would suggest. All of our APBTs LOVED Kong toys, but it sounds like you already have something like that for your dog. What about a nice big bone? Our dogs would stay distracted with a big bone for hours at a time, until it was gone!

Have you ever considered having a dog walker come walk him once during the day while your at work? Or have you ever considered doggy daycare? That's really pretty much all I can think of. I wish I could be of more help. Oh, where do you live? Is it still warm there? If it's really cold outside, I don't know if you'd want to do this, but one thing our dogs use to love in the summer time (in FL) was doggie popsicles! You can do this a couple different ways. Buy a cheap roasting chicken and cook it in the crock pot. It cooks off the bone and falls apart. Let it cool and take the good meat off and save for your favorite casserole dish, soup, chicken dumplings, etc. Hand remove all the bones. Take the extra meat left over and hand pick through it again to be sure the bones are gone. Divide it and put into ice cube trays. Add some of the chicken broth from the cooker (there will be quite a lot of broth). Pour into the trays compartments to add flavor. Freeze. The next day, pop them out and put them in a big doggie bowl outside for him when you leave. You can also make some in advance, and store them in a big zip-lock in the freezer.

Now, like I said, you can do that a couple different ways. You cold do it exactly like it says above. Or, you can do it the same way, but instead of using an ice cube tray, you could use something a little bigger. We use to use these silicone baking dishes when we did this for our dogs. Something like this.. Blue Silicone Round Cake Pan Bakeware or whatever size and shape you want. We got a set of these silicone baking molds from Target and we had all different shapes and sizes. Because it gets so hot in FL, the little cubes seemed to melt too fast. You could also just use just chicken broth (with no chicken meat in it), and freeze those, either in the ice cube trays or in the bigger dishes.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:31 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,020,443 times
what great ideas pbmommie!! don't have a treadmill at the moment and if i do go that route, am going to have to figure out a place to set it up......... ...... the chicken-cycles are a FANTASTIC idea and i think i will go find some trays to do that
with in the next day or 2.....

i got them 3 puzzle toys within a week of my injury.... 2 are red plastic ball type things that have dimples all over the outside and are hollow on the inside..... i put mostly kibble, with some good treats in them .... and they have to roll or push them around to get the good stuff out..... i swear, i find them in the oddest places when i get home sometimes..... the 3rd is a blue plastic cube that works on the same principle, but the goodies are a little harder to get out and it makes a LOT more noise..... looked at those nina somebody puzzles, but dang... they are expensive.....

i have 2 kongs that i have had since bailey was a pup..... peanut butter is their favorite, but pretty fattening.....and i've really got to watch bailey's waist line...... they didn't care so much for the frozen yogurt and one of the kongs is missing at the moment..... probably buried out in the yard somewhere, knowing dave......

got about 2/3 of the back yard done today..... dave LOVES the GIANT pile of leaves..... once i get THAT finished, i will find some places to hide stuff for them.... also good because i can now see to do poop patrol again.......

also like the idea of hanging some sort of toy(s) from a tree.... lord knows i have plenty of those.....

i LOVE the visual of the doggies chasing the remote control car..... hhhmmmm

we have been walking about 30-40 minutes in the morning .... so far so good for the knee and it seems to help bailey and dave .... i think just getting OUT of the house and checking out the neighborhood is a good thing.......

thanks to all of you.... i knew i could count on you for some good ideas......

and keep 'em coming when they occur to you......

Last edited by latetotheparty; 11-07-2009 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs