U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:11 PM

9,776 posts, read 24,213,568 times

Advertisements

Looking for some suggestions on how to entice our girl to just plain eat! (For those who don't know...Kota is a rescue 6 month old wolf/hybrid)
Haven't seen her in a few weeks, as she is with DD down in Fl. But Chris says her hip bones are becoming more and more evident. It doesn't help that she is at that 6 month old lanky stage to start with.
Chris is currently working for a vet, so Kota has been checked over thouroughly...and is healthy , so no problems there. She just won't eat! Chris says she picks and picks at food...and she has tried 5 different foods in the last few weeks. She says the rescues at the vet are the best fed dogs since they are getting what Kota won't eat!
She occasionally feeds raw to the cattery, and she has given Kota raw...but, she says gets very aggressive over it...so she is hesitant to continue. Just spoke with Chris and she said if Kota has eaten a full cup of food this week, that's alot! She says what's funny is....she has a ball that you fill with treats to play with....The ball is full of dog food and she'll play and eat that...but won't eat the food in her bowl.
I even suggested, maybe the bowl was a problem for some reason! She was going to try something different later on tonight.
The vet says, she'll eat when she is hungry.
In the meantime, Chris says Kota could be the poster child for some ASPCA ad.

Any particular foods you know of that put weight on? I suggested Eagle Pack which packed on the lbs for my two and had to stop it quickly. Any additives....anything??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 02:33 PM

12,425 posts, read 12,521,161 times
Artie is Mr. Finicky when it comes to food.

What's funny is that when my neighbor feeds him kibble pieces as a game (such as throwing it in the air for Artie to catch, or rolling a piece down the driveway for Artie to run and get), he's like a starving man at a buffet.

But put a bowl of food (good food! Wellness Core! TOTW!) in the kitchen? "Nah, not in the mood, but thanks for trying."

Well, really, I'm not going to start making a game out of feeding -- who has that sort of time to get through a whole bowl of kibble, piece by piece? -- but I found a solution. At least for Artie. Either boiled chicken breast or canned chicken (just chicken, in water) -- I shred a small piece with my fingers, shake up the bowl so it gets mixed in well with his kibble, and he gobbles most of the kibble up while aiming for the chicken shreds.

Just an idea...

Old 11-04-2009, 02:40 PM

Thanks Dawn...will pass it onto Chris. She said she threw something in her bowl the other day...can't remember what it was exactly..but she said she spent more time nudging around the food trying to pick out the good stuff, than she did eating. The shredded chicken might work tho!

Old 11-04-2009, 02:56 PM

43,017 posts, read 49,727,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
The vet says, she'll eat when she is hungry.
That's true. Just fill her dish instead of having meals. She's lucky that this is a dog that won't gorge itself like my dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Any particular foods you know of that put weight on?
The vet isn't concerned so I don't think you should push it. Puppies shouldn't be given food that will cause them too grow too quickly. It's bad for their bones and joints.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:26 PM

13,556 posts, read 22,886,152 times
If you want to put weight on Kota give her Satin Balls. They are 500 calories each. I make them and freeze them.. I make sure I defrost them as my girl will swallow it whole even frozen
How to Make Satin Balls (for dog who needs to gain weight) | eHow.com

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 11-04-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
If you want to put weight on Kota give her Satin Balls. They are 500 calories each.
How to Make Satin Balls (for dog who needs to gain weight) | eHow.com
Thankyou! That is exactly the help I was looking for! Sending it on to Chris.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:40 PM

Keep 'em coming people! We'll put some weight on this girl yet!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 1,734,295 times
Definitely try Satin Balls...to get Charlie to eat regular meals I put a little warm/hot water and mix it with his food. I've heard it's supposed to make the smell of the food stronger. I've heard mixing plain yogurt or cottage cheese with kibble works too, but I've never tried it.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:29 AM

Chris said she will be making the Satin Balls today...hopefully, Kota will find them tasty enough to scarf!
J-Lo...the yogurt might work. Chris has tried the CC and with that long nose of hers, Kota pushes all else aside and does eat the CC. So maybe the yogurt would cover the food more. Worth a shot...thanks!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:45 AM

12,425 posts, read 12,521,161 times
Let us know how it goes. I hope Kota gobbles them up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs